DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

MASTER AIRSCREW messing up.

I emailed Master Airscrew on January 13 at 11:46 AM. Sebastian replied the next day at 1:10 PM, acknowledged the problem, apologized for it, and asked if I wanted a refund or a replacement. I asked to have them replaced.

I’m satisfied with the company. Stuff happens and they’re fixing it.

Jim
Good news ??

Okay... as mentioned in an earlier post, I ordered the orange props on Thursday January 21 from MAS. Possibly because I am in California they arrived today via US Postal Service. The props look good and clean leading edges. I just got out my MA2 for an indoor floor test.

With the MA2 on my kitchen floor and DJI props - zero moment after startup and zero after running for a minute or so. My floor has a slate tile pattern to it, so I took the MA2 over to a large glass top coffee table - also zero movement at start up or while running.

Now with the MAS props. Glass top table - very slight jump at start up... then a very slow but noticeable and even movement crawl backwards by the MA2. Then to the kitchen floor. Very slight jump a start up, then a slow counter-clock wise rotation. I've attached three picture - starting position at start, then 30 seconds, and then 60 seconds.

Not sure what to make of this.

Attachments

• Zero-MA2.jpeg
    Zero-MA2.jpeg
    4 MB · Views: 31
  • 30 sec-MA2.jpeg
    30 sec-MA2.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 31
  • 60 sec-MA2.jpeg
    60 sec-MA2.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 32
Reactions: Phantomrain.org
Now with the MAS props. Glass top table - very slight jump at start up... then a very slow but noticeable and even movement crawl backwards by the MA2. Then to the kitchen floor. Very slight jump a start up, then a slow counter-clock wise rotation. I've attached three picture - starting position at start, then 30 seconds, and then 60 seconds.

At this point all the MS Props are exhibiting the same movement , however we have not had any issues while flying or recording or taking pictures. We have the same props on the MA 2 and I think only reason it does not move on the floor the same way is because of the weight of that drone other wise it most likely would.

Do a practice flight and see if yours is not as solid as our is. for me its still worth having the benefits of the Props.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly your Mavic in the Rain.

Do a practice flight and see if yours is not as solid as our is. for me its still worth having the benefits of the Props.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly your Mavic in the Rain.
I was thinking about this, I'd have to assume the stress placed on the drones motors as they counter the induced torque to provide a stable platform wouldn't be worse than it is with winds. There's rain storms here in northern California so it may be a couple days before I get a test flight in.

Okay... as mentioned in an earlier post, I ordered the orange props on Thursday January 21 from MAS. Possibly because I am in California they arrived today via US Postal Service. The props look good and clean leading edges. I just got out my MA2 for an indoor floor test.

With the MA2 on my kitchen floor and DJI props - zero moment after startup and zero after running for a minute or so. My floor has a slate tile pattern to it, so I took the MA2 over to a large glass top coffee table - also zero movement at start up or while running.

Okay after catching up on this thread I will state that my M2Z with MAS's does exhibit similar behavior on my bedroom tile floor, beyond that I attributed it to the props not coming up to speed to throw them into correct position as they are quite tight in their pivots...I tested it by going to a hover for a minte with a couple more bumps on the throttle. then landing. Motors at idle no more rotation. Further I have no issues while in flight and indeed they are of less pitch (Sound) than stock. At about 150' with ambient noise my aircraft is almost in stealth mode (Snicker :p) pun intended. Granted this is with a M2Z but thought I would chime in on that part anyway. Have a good one folks...it's nite nite time here on east coast. :)

A follow up to my previous post. I contacted Master AirScrew about this and sent them pics. They are sending out replacements for these today and were sincerely upset about the issue. Bottom line, they are taking care of this and making it good. Sign of a good company.

Final update on this post. I received two sets or replacement props today. Took a few weeks but again they were caught short with this quality issue and are running short handed due to high Covid numbers where they are. Props came through as they should. All balance, all are clean, no flashing, and they are ready to go. Again the sign of a good company is taking care of a problem like this. Be patient if you are contacting them with the same flashing issue. They are swamped.

Reactions: psloan
I was finally able to get out this morning for a quick test flight of my MA2 and the orange MAS props I received three days ago. I took off and just went out about 500 feet and hovered at 100 feet. I focused the camera on a building about half a mile away and turned on record for two minutes, with no inputs from me to the control sticks. I checked the attitude meter and there was only a slight indication that the drone was adjusting to a constant sideway wind. I brought the MA2 back and have down loaded the video file to my computer. There's no movement or swap in the image - rock solid for the two minutes. Based on this rough test I'll continue to fly with these props when the weather improves here in northern California.

I finally got my MasterAirscrew MA 2 props.
Unfortunately the quality of mine is extremely bad, especially compared to my other MasterAirscrew props.

I already tried to contact MasterAirscrew with the contact-formular on their homepage, but I didn´t get any response.
Anyone else having problems with support? I thought, they have a good support...

How did you report the quality issues? Did you get support?

Reactions: Bearsfan77
Unfortunately the quality of mine is extremely bad, especially compared to my other MasterAirscrew props.

I already tried to contact MasterAirscrew with the contact-formular on their homepage, but I didn´t get any response.
Anyone else having problems with support? I thought, they have a good support...

I sent them an email... indicating the problem. They replied back about 2+ weeks later with apology and offer to replace or refund. I answered - replace. No return of bad props required.

Waiting on replacement now.
They are apparently busy, but I get the impression they are making positive attempt to correct and replace.

I sent them an email... indicating the problem. They replied back about 2+ weeks later with apology and offer to replace or refund. I answered - replace. No return of bad props required.

Waiting on replacement now.
They are apparently busy, but I get the impression they are making positive attempt to correct and replace.
Thank you!

So I have to be a little bit more patient :)

I'm happy with my Master Airscrew replacement props.

The props arrived last week but it wasn't until today that I had a chance to try them. There are no obvious defects - cosmetic or otherwise. In usage, I would estimate they are about 25% quieter than the DJI props. With the DJI props, when I fly at 390 feet and come to an abrupt halt, the noise is quite noticeable. With the Mast Airscrew props I can not hear the drone stop.

I'll be ordering another set today for when some of the props in the first set get damaged in the upcoming accident.
Hat do you expect from a tweaker

Need your help please...
As I am pretty new to drones, I also order the props based on comments I had read about how good they are. I have yet to test them as it isnt really possible right now (-26C here right now).
Here is a pic of the ones I got... what are your comments? Are they acceptable?

Attachments

• Image-1.jpeg
    Image-1.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 22
  • Image.jpeg
    Image.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 21
Need your help please...
As I am pretty new to drones, I also order the props based on comments I had read about how good they are. I have yet to test them as it isnt really possible right now (-26C here right now).

Put them on your bird . Start the motors and see if the bird will stay still and not shake or move on the floor

Any chance you bothered to read the 7 pages of this thread before you posted this...come on people, let's please at least use a bit of due diligence and put forth a effort before posting. No offense, but Jeeze! There is a couple of threads on this.

Need your help please...
Those are the poorly made batch... they clearly show the flashing and roughness. I'd send them an email indicating a poor set and they'll eventually contact you to replace.

MAS props when correctly manufactured are extremely clean and all edges smooth.

Reactions: jbeausol
The test of startup vibrations is a little broad. On any props, OEM or MAS... if not spun and allowed to center their axis, will be slightly out of balance. Once started and props center, they should appear smooth and no vibration.

I wouldn't judge balance at the initial startup, let them spin up and idle back down first... then raise you RPM's and notice behavior. Even then a little movement if on slick smooth table surface may have slight movement as RPM's are raised compared to concrete or dirt surface.

Update on my Orange MAS props. I finally got a chance to fly today and did a comparison video stability check between the original DJI props and MAS props. Flew 100 feet up and 400 feet out, then locked my cross hair on distant building and recorded 2 minutes of video while hovering... I then rotated my drone 90 degrees and locked onto the top of a line of trees as an horizon target. I then came back in, switched props and repeated. Looking at the videos side by side on my computer I could detect no movement or sway in either, even with a paper mark taped on the monitor to check the position. So the gimbal is not being overtaxed.

As I was putting my drone away I decided to check Youtube for any recent videos - there was one by Grump Goat that indicated that the props may need to time break in and usage may loosen up the props. So I decided to do a retest of my drone on the floor, I also added a little WD-40 lubricant to the folding joint/hinge on each prop. Compared to a week ago when I took the props out of the box and ran this test, this time there was virtually no drone moment on the floor after 30 seconds and 60 seconds.

Also he noted that out of the box from MAS the prop are very tight and with little free movement in the blades compared to the DJI props. Starting the drone with the props not open may contribute to the drone movement too, as the motors force the blades open it may take time for them to come into full balance while spinning.

Running the props for a while on a few flights, they probably naturally get loose and subsequent start ups they quickly come into balance, which may be why my drone no longer moves.

Anyone have thoughts on this theory?

Attachments

• MA2-zero.jpg
    MA2-zero.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 12
  • MA2-30 sec.jpg
    MA2-30 sec.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 12
  • MA2-60 sec.jpg
    MA2-60 sec.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 12
Reactions: Vapor069
Running the props for a while on a few flights, they probably naturally get loose and subsequent start ups they quickly come into balance, which may be why my drone no longer moves.

Anyone have thoughts on this theory?
Reported the same thing on my M2Z MAS props when I got them and earlier in this thread...they just come tight and well fitted from the factory. A few flights and all is good. Just allowed them to break in...not a big fan of WD40 around my drones ;)

Reactions: Vapor069
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lucent6408d