DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Master Airscrew props and low temperature vibration

Wryandry

Reactions
So I have been using MAS stealth props for several months with no issues. I have found them to be more fragile - clipping a twig with MAS props and they disintegrate, with DJI props they chip but don't shatter like the MAS props. Regardless I swap props as soon as ANY damage occurs so this isn't a deal breaker for me.

However yesterday I was out flying and noticed a pronounced wobble or vibration just after takeoff, I could hear the oscillating sound of the props as the aircraft shimmied and shook. I replaced the props with another set of MAS stealth props and it was exactly the same. Just after takeoff the hover was steady for a moment then the wobble started.

I initially thought it may be firmware related as I had just upgraded to V01.00.670 from V01.00.510 and this was the only difference from the last outing.

Anyhow on returning home I did some testing. Rolled back the FW to V01.0.510 and took the drone out with MAS props and hovered, there was the wobble, switched to another unused set of MAS props and still the wobble. Switched to DJI props and no wobble.

Upgraded the FW back to V01.00.670 and got the same results, wobble with MAS props no wobble with DJI props. SO that was the Firmware ruled out and the MAS props were the culprit, so why now after using the MAS props for months with no issues. Well it was -19 degrees C when I flew and noticed the issue and when I did the FW test it was -15 degrees C. So to test the temperature theory.

I set up the aircraft with room temperature DJI props and went outside in -15 deg C and hovered the aircraft for 3 minutes, no wobble. I went in and swapped the props for room temperature MAS props, went outside and hovered the aircraft, after only a few seconds the wobble set in. To confirm the temperature effect theory I took the aircraft inside and swapped the cold MAS props for a room temp set and hovered aircraft inside for 3 minutes, no wobble.

So I have come to the conclusion that the MAS props are not suitable for cold weather flying, DJI props work well at low temperature so I will be sure to get a couple of sets of DJI props for winter excursions.

Not sure why temperature would affect the MAS props and not the DJI props and I am not sure what the threshold for the MAS cold temperature wobble is, I have flown with the MAS props in -5 to -10 deg C and not noticed any issues at but -15 to -19 deg C I won't be using them!

Not sure why temperature would affect the MAS props and not the DJI props and I am not sure what the threshold for the MAS cold temperature wobble is, I have flown with the MAS props in -5 to -10 deg C and not noticed any issues at but -15 to -19 deg C I won't be using them!
I have them on Mavic 2 but ain't flying in that type of cold. It's obvious they are made from a different composite as you mentioned the shattering, so that solves that riddle on why one effects one and not the other. :p As the M2's are rated at -10° to 40°C sounds like they are made within tolerance of the aircraft's flight tolerance as spec'd. YMMV but all looks in line and no issue...now you can go out and fly in that fridged weather but as noted DJI and now MAS says you shouldn't ;)

But thanks for the info regardless :) how the heck do you even keep warm, my darn deep freeze is "only" -10.

Reactions: Thomas B
So I have been using MAS stealth props for several months with no issues. I have found them to be more fragile - clipping a twig with MAS props and they disintegrate, with DJI props they chip but don't shatter like the MAS props. Regardless I swap props as soon as ANY damage occurs so this isn't a deal breaker for me.

However yesterday I was out flying and noticed a pronounced wobble or vibration just after takeoff, I could hear the oscillating sound of the props as the aircraft shimmied and shook. I replaced the props with another set of MAS stealth props and it was exactly the same. Just after takeoff the hover was steady for a moment then the wobble started.

I initially thought it may be firmware related as I had just upgraded to V01.00.670 from V01.00.510 and this was the only difference from the last outing.

Anyhow on returning home I did some testing. Rolled back the FW to V01.0.510 and took the drone out with MAS props and hovered, there was the wobble, switched to another unused set of MAS props and still the wobble. Switched to DJI props and no wobble.

Upgraded the FW back to V01.00.670 and got the same results, wobble with MAS props no wobble with DJI props. SO that was the Firmware ruled out and the MAS props were the culprit, so why now after using the MAS props for months with no issues. Well it was -19 degrees C when I flew and noticed the issue and when I did the FW test it was -15 degrees C. So to test the temperature theory.

I set up the aircraft with room temperature DJI props and went outside in -15 deg C and hovered the aircraft for 3 minutes, no wobble. I went in and swapped the props for room temperature MAS props, went outside and hovered the aircraft, after only a few seconds the wobble set in. To confirm the temperature effect theory I took the aircraft inside and swapped the cold MAS props for a room temp set and hovered aircraft inside for 3 minutes, no wobble.

So I have come to the conclusion that the MAS props are not suitable for cold weather flying, DJI props work well at low temperature so I will be sure to get a couple of sets of DJI props for winter excursions.

Excellent info! Thanks for sharing.

Thats good to know and yes I had the same issue with the MAS chipping/brakeing when hitting light debris.

After replacing the MAS props with OEM props,the extreme vibration I was also experiencing disappeared.
I emailed MAS Airscrew twice with no reply,and have now shipped the 3 sets I bought back to them.It will be really interested to see if/how they address this issue.

Strange. I flew multiple times at 1 degree F and the next day at 10 to 14 degrees F. M2 Pro and MAS orange props. No problems on minute flights. My props are from their very first shipments so are over 1 year old now. Wonder if they changed something either in hub material or blade. Still good to know as I was going to purchase a new set in blue.

Note, I realize 1 degree F is below spec for the M2 Pro but that was what it was for a good snow flight. Drone and SC both worked fine and I was surprised that battery life seemed very close to normal.
Paul C

Reactions: pelagic_one
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tyroe1998