DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mastering the joysticks when the aircraft turns around

AngelaC

Reactions
Just got the Mavic Air for Christmas and I really can't get my head around controlling the aircraft when it turns around. All the controls are back to front or the wrong way around then. There must be some secret - or am I just being simple! Please help!

Not all the controls are back to front just that when the MA is flying towards you to turn right you have to move the stick to the left vice versa.

Take a look at this.

Last edited:
In the beginning I said to myself "port"to go left or "starboard" to go right in the to take the aircraft orientation out of the equation. Most of all just go to a safe open space and practice flying away from you, then turn around and fly back and soon you'll get to a point where it becomes second nature.

Good luck and fly safe, welcome to the forum

Reactions: nigel
There must be some secret - or am I just being simple!
There's no secret... you just need to get out and practice more. You'll eventually be able to operate the controls without thinking about it.

Reactions: zzxrox and Niblett
Just got the Mavic Air for Christmas and I really can't get my head around controlling the aircraft when it turns around. All the controls are back to front or the wrong way around then. There must be some secret - or am I just being simple! Please help!

Try imagining that you are a pilot in your Mavic Air. As you are then facing the direction of travel the stick movement becomes more natural.

you need to learn basic moves before you get the hang of it find a quiet spot, only a light wind and a safe area with no trees near to you, also make sure there are no other people around take off and fly box shapes with the front of the mav pointing away from you go out 20ft go left 20ft come back 20ft go right 20ft keep doing this till you feel comfortable try not to look at the sticks and after a while you will find it gets easier once you have done that go to your starting point turn the mav round so it is pointing towards you and do the same excercise again try to do this at face height do not use the left stick just the right one i am assuming you are in mode 2 you start off from a point 20ft in front of you and aim to get back to the same point after each box set if my explanation is confusing there are plenty of vids to watch good luck enjoy your flying

Thank you everybody - but when the Mavic is in the distance and I can't see which is front and back I don't get how I know which way to move the stick. I thought there would be something on the screen to show me which way the aircraft is facing, but can't see anything other than the compass?

I thought there would be something on the screen to show me which way the aircraft is facing
You can find the direction the aircraft is facing using the attitude indicator or map in DJI GO. See these videos for more details on those features:

Thank you. That is exactly the help I have been looking for, and I shall be out flying again tomorrow!

Reactions: WAXMAN
STROBON Cree® Standalone from Flytron makes your drone much more visible.
You only need to stick one on either front or back.

I flew RC helicopters before drones were around and still take them out for a spin. They don’t have gps lock and won’t just sit there if you let go of the sticks. It’s like flying in Atti mode all the time. It takes time, but with practice you’ll get used to your birds orientation and how to control it. The visuals of Go4 help a ton. Good luck and welcome.

The easiest way to handle this is to look at your screen rather than -- or at least more than -- you look at the drone. Then stick right will turn aircraft right. On tip of that, after a fair bit of practice, you sort of automatically go through a gestalt switch (much like switching between driving in the UK and driving in the US), and it becomes instinctual.

Reactions: Flynz
You need to watch your aircraft not the screen and keep it close. Do the box thing and do figure 8's. If you are learning to fly you shouldn't let it out of your sight at all. Put it in beginner mode. You are going to lose your investment and that would suck. Fly slow as well. Its practice practice practice all the way. Also make sure you set your RTH up high enough and it has a clear path just in case something goes wrong (and it will). USE THE SIMULATOR!!!. That will help you out tremendously!!! I cant stress that enough.Just go out and have fun!

Reactions: old man mavic
You need to watch your aircraft not the screen and keep it close. Do the box thing and do figure 8's. If you are learning to fly you shouldn't let it out of your sight at all. Put it in beginner mode. You are going to lose your investment and that would suck. Fly slow as well. Its practice practice practice all the way. Also make sure you set your RTH up high enough and it has a clear path just in case something goes wrong (and it will). USE THE SIMULATOR!!!. That will help you out tremendously!!! I cant stress that enough.Just go out and have fun!
The DJi simulator? How much does it cost? Looks like the free trial version is quite limited.

I flew fixed wing model powered aircraft It helped me in the beginning to not fly to far away and practice flying towards you turning your back on aircraft and controlling looking over your shoulder until you get used to facing aircraft.

Reactions: FoxhallGH
I had exactly the same problem when I first started flying. Actually I would fly out straight and back it up towards me to make sure I didn't make a mistake around the trees in my back yard.
Only hours of flying very low and close finally made it second nature. It comes with lots of practice.
I still practice in my back yard (boring) to retain the skill.

The DJi simulator? How much does it cost? Looks like the free trial version is quite limited.

There is a free simulator that comes with it. Its basic for sure but it will help you fly. You dont need all the cool graphics, you need practice. Its just a giant open box area with no obstacles in your path. It has three views and will help you out with turning when the aircraft is coming towards you.
Another alternative and one I would recommend is get a mini drone you can fly in the house. LOL It's a lot fun, you can crash it and it wont damage your DJI. I have a little Simrex X300C that is a blast, looks like my MA and is fast AF. The battery life is decent as well and will teach you other skills like how to hover with out the GPS. Its a basic skill some people look over or forget about. If you lose your GPS connection you will be happy you learned how to.

Last edited:
You can find the direction the aircraft is facing using the attitude indicator or map in DJI GO. See these videos for more details on those features:

I depend heavily upon the attitude indicator when the drone is at distance, at which time it becomes the primary reference for me.

A good trick is once your bird and controller are powered up, but before you start the props:
The map faces N, so pick up your bird and turn it until it faces the top of the map on your controller screen, then put it down.
Now stand behind your bird and face N and take note of a reference feature.
So now as soon as you are unsure of where your bird is pointing, turn to face N, and the arrow will tell you which way it is headed.
The map display will also show you the home point, so it becomes easy to steer home.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ScottLoucks