DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Maven app?

Thmoore

Premium Pilot
Reactions
I haven’t seen the “Maven” app before; seems to be an indie effort by a solo programmer?:

Does anyone have experience with this? I don’t mind dropping $14 for it to try it out, but I’d like to make sure that the app isn’t full of bugs that make it, say, prone to flying aircraft out to sea.

Not sure I’ve ever seen as many typos in a promotional video or App Store writeup before, either. It’s not a big deal, but it does not inspire a lot of confidence.

Reactions: Prismatic
I haven’t seen the “Maven” app before; seems to be an indie effort by a solo programmer?:

Does anyone have experience with this? I don’t mind dropping $14 for it to try it out, but I’d like to make sure that the app isn’t full of bugs that make it, say, prone to flying aircraft out to sea.

Not sure I’ve ever seen as many typos in a promotional video or App Store writeup before, either. It’s not a big deal, but it does not inspire a lot of confidence.
I think it is an indie effort, with the good and bad that implies. He's using the DJI SDK, so that assures a certain degree of stability, but I'd want to run multiple "safe" missions before I put my drone at jeopardy with it. That said, I may give it a try, as he's done some nice work.

The typos and strange constructs in the app description may simply be artifacts of origin; he's Italian. That said, his English is far superior to my Italian!

Seems to be, so far.

Yes I’ve tried the app more than once .. several missions and with POI too, faithfully carried them out. GUI friendly and so easy to quickly get used to. Just remember to select the start n stop recording in the settings For waypoint missions. Haven’t tried it over water but the drone at height doesn’t really know if it’s over water or haystacks Does it? If reliable over land for a number of missions (with your settings) it should be ok over H2O right. Keep me informed .. :). Merv F. Perth Australia

Yes I’ve tried the app more than once .. several missions and with POI too, faithfully carried them out. GUI friendly and so easy to quickly get used to. Just remember to select the start n stop recording in the settings For waypoint missions. Haven’t tried it over water but the drone at height doesn’t really know if it’s over water or haystacks Does it? If reliable over land for a number of missions (with your settings) it should be ok over H2O right. Keep me informed .. :). Merv F. Perth Australia

Could not find it in the Android play store?
Crapple only ?

Well hell...

I'm curious about this comparison as well. Maybe I need to see more demo videos for Maven, but it seems to me to be a bit less smooth in the above example when following a POI. This may be inherent in any "virtual sticks" app (and therefore in any "waypoint" support for MA2). If and when Litchi add virtual stick support, it may suffer the same lack of smoothness. Any thoughts about the different virtual stick apps when it comes to the quality of the final output? Any other sample or comparison videos?

Thanks for your thoughts!
Chris

Chris this was a point that caught my attention as well. I believe that due to the mission I did with focus Poi, because bo litchi the behavior in these cases is also not smooth. you need to use the interpolate mode that I haven’t yet got in Maven, but I’m still testing. today i must do another mission differently and hope to get better results

Reactions: chanson and Kyle76
Chris this was a point that caught my attention as well. I believe that due to the mission I did with focus Poi, because bo litchi the behavior in these cases is also not smooth. you need to use the interpolate mode that I haven’t yet got in Maven, but I’m still testing. today i must do another mission differently and hope to get better results
It was hard to tell, but the finished video seemed far smoother than what was showing on the controller. I, too, am very interested in smoothness because Dronelink’s finished videos on my Mini tests were not totally smooth. Some blamed this on the processing power of the Mini itself, but if this is inherent in “virtual sticks”, I’d like to know before I purchase any more products.

Reactions: chanson
I really don't think it's because of the virtual stick. it may be due to the speed and strength of the wind. litchi use since p4 and the best drone smooth results was p4 pro. the mavic 2 pro already suffered in some movements. to achieve some smoothness really in the mavic air 2 or mini, I believe I have to use the interpolate mode, low speed and if possible, little wind.

I really don't think it's because of the virtual stick. it may be due to the speed and strength of the wind. litchi use since p4 and the best drone smooth results was p4 pro. the mavic 2 pro already suffered in some movements. to achieve some smoothness really in the mavic air 2 or mini, I believe I have to use the interpolate mode, low speed and if possible, little wind.
Thanks for these thoughts. I'm really hopeful for how these apps go, and the simplicity of Maven is very attractive. The weather is not very favorable here presently, but hopefully soon I can do some tests as well. I'd love to see other videos that come along as well!

Chris

see this old video of mine with Litchi and P4 pro, before there are stricter rules on flights in my country. the whole mission was done at 54km / h

Funny that this discussion is going on now, right when I discovered that I (still) had the Maven app on my phone. I am relatively new to the world of Waypoint Apps: I really enjoy hand flying, but want to get into this realm as well. I have heard a lot about Litchi which seems to be the industry standard, and I am now curious what it does that Maven does not.

Used Maven a couple of years ago (before it even was "Maven" (there seems to have been a name change in the past year or so) and found it easy to use, but I did not do a lot with it. One of the most interesting things is that you can slave the gimbal to goggles while it flies the mission and film where you look--nice touch.

Anyone done--or know of--a good comparison of Litchi ($23) vs Maven ($14)?

Late Edit: I used it on an MP2 with no problems

Last edited:

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NotSure