DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic 2 and 3 shots in same film, can you pick them?

christangey

Reactions
Site
www.alicespringsfilmtv.com.au
Recently I made a short film all with Mavic 3 footage (Shot in D-Log) called "Dressed in Green-Australia". I've now totally re-edited it and it occurred to me that some of my Mavic 2 footage (shot in HLG) would also fit the theme well. In the end, five Mavic 2 shots made it into the cut, can you pick all five? Watching in 4K might help.

Last edited:
Hello

Your footage is absolutely beautiful. You are obviously a very patient filmographer. I didn’t even try to look for what was shot with what as your video was flawless and flowing…May I ask what you utilize for post processing and did you use Tripod mode for most shots…..

Thanks

Reactions: christangey
Recently I made a short film all with Mavic 3 footage (Shot in D-Log) called "Dressed in Green-Australia". I've now totally re-edited it and it occurred to me that some of my Mavic 2 footage (shot in HLG) would also fit the theme well. In the end, five Mavic 2 shots made it into the cut, can you pick all five? Watching in 4K might help.

Really good! Where was most of that shot? Can't figure out how there's no downdraft from the Mavic over some of those fern shots. Loved it.

Really good! Where was most of that shot? Can't figure out how there's no downdraft from the Mavic over some of those fern shots. Loved it.
It's all a bit "suck it and see" with going over vegetation, or water for that matter. Can't tell you how many times I've had to do a "glassy water" shot again because I didn't have it just right on the first run. Depends on the height of the aircarft above the object and also sometimes whether you have the camera angled upwards as you approach. The one where I go over the fern really close WAS really close, just inches, but because it was pre-tilted upwards to emphasize the tall trees the fern was captured a split second before the downdraft hit it.

Hello

Your footage is absolutely beautiful. You are obviously a very patient filmographer. I didn’t even try to look for what was shot with what as your video was flawless and flowing…May I ask what you utilize for post processing and did you use Tripod mode for most shots…..

Thanks
Hard to comment on the tripod mode question as they would have to be the Mavic 2 shots, 3 doesn't have that. We all know though that "cine" mode on the 3 is useless compared to "tripod" on the 2. For post I use what tools I happen to own, FCPX and Da Vinci Resolve studio 17 on a MacPro and imacpro, I'm sure you could get similar results with other setups. All shots are color-graded.

Reactions: mark.pinskey
Awesome drone control and of course fantastic filming.
Question, what kind of trees are these in the screenshot?
View attachment 149417
They are known as the Hoop pine or Dorrigo pine and are found in New South Wales, Queensland and even on the island of Papua New Guinea.

Forgot to reply on locations. Happy to reply on specific shots but all bit too general otherwise. It was shot in Queensland, Victoria, South Australia, Tasmania and in the Northern Territory.

Hard to comment on the tripod mode question as they would have to be the Mavic 2 shots, 3 doesn't have that. We all know though that "cine" mode on the 3 is useless compared to "tripod" on the 2. For post I use what tools I happen to own, FCPX and Da Vinci Resolve studio 17 on a MacPro and imacpro, I'm sure you could get similar results with other setups. All shots are color-graded.

Just curious because I have the Mavic 2 Pro and considering upgrading to the Mavic 3, but the lack of tripod mode seems a bit off-putting. My experience with Cine mode is that it's very hard to replicate the smoothness of tripod mode... so do you get over this with sufficient practice or what is the view of someone who has used the Mavic 3 for a while?

Just curious because I have the Mavic 2 Pro and considering upgrading to the Mavic 3, but the lack of tripod mode seems a bit off-putting. My experience with Cine mode is that it's very hard to replicate the smoothness of tripod mode... so do you get over this with sufficient practice or what is the view of someone who has used the Mavic 3 for a while?
I'm not sure it is just the smoothness Josh, I think it is also the speed. It simply doesn't fly SLOW enough which I have raised with DJI Support. They are looking into it but it may take some time. Now I have the RC Pro controller, and have dampened down the settings, it is a LOT better (e.g. the opening shot in the above film) But nevertheless for the price we paid on the 3 that controller should have been standard with both M3 models.

I'm not sure it is just the smoothness Josh, I think it is also the speed. It simply doesn't fly SLOW enough which I have raised with DJI Support. They are looking into it but it may take some time. Now I have the RC Pro controller, and have dampened down the settings, it is a LOT better (e.g. the opening shot in the above film) But nevertheless for the price we paid on the 3 that controller should have been standard with both M3 models.

Thanks for the reply. What advantage does the RC Pro have over the regular controller in terms of speed variables...? Can you make the sticks less responsive, or does it allow you to further adjust the settings in the app?

Thanks for the reply. What advantage does the RC Pro have over the regular controller in terms of speed variables...? Can you make the sticks less responsive, or does it allow you to further adjust the settings in the app?
Yes the sticks just have a nicer feel (not unlike the standard controller on the M2P!) and you can dampen the sticks way down in the EXP settings. "Cine" mode is still not equivalent to "tripod" mode but it is getting there, I expect them to fix this by the end of the year.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UR7CR