DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

My first film entirely shot on M3

I kind of got inspired by my recent trip to Tasmania and Victoria to make a film that shows that Australia is not all desert, not by a long shot.
All captured on my replacement M3, supplied by DJI after an incident with a branch that refused to give way to me :cool:
Filmed in the Australian states of South Australia, Victoria Tasmania and in the Northern Territory, hope you enjoy "Dressed in green-Australia"
Chris:

An absolutely beautiful film in all respects! The images from the M3 are astounding, and the cinematography was superb. Beautiful scenes followed one after the other with appropriate music track. Nice scenes section, editing , colors, and compositions. Everything perfect.

Dale
Miami

Reactions: christangey
Chris:

An absolutely beautiful film in all respects! The images from the M3 are astounding, and the cinematography was superb. Beautiful scenes followed one after the other with appropriate music track. Nice scenes section, editing , colors, and compositions. Everything perfect.

Dale
Miami
Thanks a lot Dale

Chris, absolutely artistically beautiful... you have a great eye in both capture and video / audio post edits.

I'm learning and observing; When making your scene cuts... you appear to go more on the ending tone of audio not the start of new tempo. Each scene ends with a short fade of audio silence. Other Creators tend to amplify the scence change on the beginning tone or tempo.

I've been off the M3 discussion for a bit... got a bit long in the tooth. In the interim you've accepted the M3 from a previous stance of hesitantation and been experimenting with it's settings. Did you go with Cine model? Are you using both M2P & M3 or fully transitioned to M3?

Can you share some of your tweaks you've found to improve the cinematic performance?

Last edited:
Chris, absolutely artistically beautiful... you have a great eye in both capture and video / audio post edits.

I'm learning and observing; When making your scene cuts... you appear go to more on the ending tone of audio not the start of new tempo. Each scene ends with a short fade of audio silence. Others tend to amplify the scence change on the beginning tone or tempo.

I've been off the M3 discussion for a bit... got a bit long in the tooth. In the interim you've accepted the M3 from a previous stance of hesitantation and been experimenting with it's settings. Did you go with Cine model? Are you using both M2P & M3 or fully transitioned to M3?

Can you share some of your tweaks you've found to improve the cinematic performance?
Thanks Doug, you probably know more about how I edit than I do! 😎 I start with the music selection and then kinda go on feel but I do think obvious beats aren't always the way to go. I only ever said I wasn't buying the Cine model, not the M3 itself, for various reasons months ago but have ended up with it through circumstances. I crashed it into a tree (isn't that reassuring for newbies...) and then DJI offered the Cine version as replacement if I paid the difference. I'm still not convinced Prores HQ is worth it for the huge files but big clients have and do ask for it so at least I now have the option. I have the M2P now as my backup drone. I am literally getting ready for a Nat Geo shoot again today but will try to get to your tweak question later!

Reactions: Dougcjohn
3:10 to 3:15 i literally said WOOOOOOW....out loud. That solo tree and the lightning...superb.

someday i hope to get to this lvl. =)
Thanks for that, I'll give you a tip for lightning if you like. Obviously you need to be a safe distance away first but you need to be moving to give the image another element. If I find a storm with a lot of activity I add a "move" until I get the shot. Intially with this one I was moving slowly in and then slowly out over and over but as the light faded on the foreground forest the perspective was lost as you couldn't see the movement any more. So I was left with going repeatedly up then down then up etc. using that tree as my perspective and sense of movement. Hope that helps.

My wife is visiting our daughter in Melbourne this August, maybe she can smuggle it over. But I doubt she will personally deliver it to Alice Springs! (although I have always wanted to get out there, just to say I have done it...)

Maybe you can bring my 2021 landscape award over here one day! I know they had trouble posting it to Australia during covid but I'm still patiently awaiting it 6 months later! 🏆

My wife is visiting our daughter in Melbourne this August, maybe she can smuggle it over. But I doubt she will personally deliver it to Alice Springs! (although I have always wanted to get out there, just to say I have done it...)
Ha! I just missed out, was only in Melbourne a couple of weeks back, in fact a few of the shots in this weren't far out of Melbourne.

I kind of got inspired by my recent trip to Tasmania and Victoria to make a film that shows that Australia is not all desert, not by a long shot.
All captured on my replacement M3, supplied by DJI after an incident with a branch that refused to give way to me :cool:
Filmed in the Australian states of South Australia, Victoria Tasmania and in the Northern Territory, hope you enjoy "Dressed in green-Australia"
Some great footage - congratulations! Loved your editing and the included bird calls. The overhead shots of the tree ferns are images we certainly don't get from our normal 'grounded' vantage point. Thanks for sharing!

I see I was right, you tamed the M3 and made it work for you. I’m still waiting for my 200 fps in 1080. A shot of those birds in slower motion might have been even better. Flew my 3 for the first time in 4 months the other day.

Good job Chris cheers.

I see I was right, you tamed the M3 and made it work for you. I’m still waiting for my 200 fps in 1080. A shot of those birds in slower motion might have been even better. Flew my 3 for the first time in 4 months the other day.

Good job Chris cheers.
Thanks, I think slomo can be overdone so I'm actually happy with the 2 times on the birds, but yes slower can certainly work on others shots, it really depends on the context. Some nice updates coming up soon for the M2 so hope you get it out of the box more then. We've all wanted to like this machine, this might give us the excuse!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
swigmofa