DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

My first film entirely shot on M3

Are you using OpenSky or similar apps to choose either orange or clear zones?

For instance, in OpenSky, Melbourne CBD shows up as Orange, with a yellow exclamation point because of Heliports.

Or do you mostly target non urban areas? Even in seemingly rural areas, you see a lot of small orange circles in OpenSky, which are usually heliports or Airport without Traffic Control.

The orange warning zones are ok to fly though, so don't sweat them.
Read the info screen when pointer is positioned in the app yellow zones, it will say (or words to the effect) "Uncontrolled airport / helipad, land if you become aware of manned aircraft operating nearby".
Sometimes there can be a lower altitude restriction too, but normally not.

Reactions: christangey
Bravo Chris,

Fantastic work, very cinematic. I am curious what frame rate you shot the footage on.

Cheers,
Scott
Scott it's almost all shot at 50P, I'm guessing you would use 60P over there. Occasionally I run it in slomo as well but only sparingly.

Very nice indeed. About some credit for the music?
The music credit is, and has always been, on the vimeo page. I have used Caleb Etheridge's work for many of my short films through Artlist.io

This was truly beautiful. I had no idea Australia had such beautiful forests. I want to grow up and be like you one day. I'm still learning the basics of how to control my drone, so I have a long way to go yet.
All practice, mixed with a few prangs (aussie slang for accidents/collisions) btw I want to grow up and move to Utah for a few months to shoot around your backyard!

WOW.. Just WOW! Great piece of filming and great choice of music and great editing. Did I say great enough? Thanks so much for posting. I look forward to that re-edited piece you mentioned.
I think by now that is probably the one you just saw!

Reactions: Cymruflyer
I kind of got inspired by my recent trip to Tasmania and Victoria to make a film that shows that Australia is not all desert, not by a long shot.
All captured on my replacement M3, supplied by DJI after an incident with a branch that refused to give way to me :cool:
Filmed in the Australian states of South Australia, Victoria Tasmania and in the Northern Territory, hope you enjoy "Dressed in green-Australia"
Spectacular footage mate. Gotta love our country,so diverse.

Beautiful film! I love how you use simple cuts instead of jarring transitions. For the rain scene, where you flying in the rain? If so, how did the M3 fair? Also, wondering if you mostly fly with obstacle avoidance off or do you keep it on?

One last question, I am seriously considering getting the RC Pro - did you find it a worthwhile upgrade considering the cost factor involved?

Although, I am mostly a stills photographer, I find your videos inspire me to branch out and explore taking more videos with my drones and improve my skills at doing so.

Australia and New Zealand are definitely on my bucket list but exploring the beauty of the country you live in which seems to be what you are doing is definitely something I share. Keep sharing those amazing films you make!

Chris
Chris, Yes I was caught in some light rain in Tasmania (which looks a bit heavier in the film than it was!) and decided to keep going a bit. My main concern with the M2P was moisture getting in around the battery mount but on the M3 of course it is rear-mounted... but don't try this at home! I always keep obstacle avoidance off, sometimes to my detriment, but to get the best shots you really need to remember the SAS motto "Who dares wins" 😎 (and of course loses!) I do find the RC pro better but no better than the standard controller that came with the M2P so why didn't it come with this one at nearly twice the price! I think the main thing to remember for your future video work is that there is a lot of planning in all of this and you need to use both sides of your brain at once. Here is a whole page of my short films if it helps! Aerial Cinematographer-Chris Tangey on Vimeo

Last edited:
Reactions: Chrislaf
This is fantastic. What region are you filming in. Inspiring for me to get out there and get more footage
Victoria and Tasmania for the forests and the waterfalls are in the Northern Territory. Flock of corellas in South Australia

Reactions: mayneunit
Wow really impressive and beautifully captured video - I note you flew in very tight forest spots, were you not afraid of collosions. On what setting did you put your collision
Ironically I don't use collision avoidance in tight spots, just where you logically might want to use it, as it limits you way too much. 360 spatial awareness and doing slow pre-runs is the key. Having said that you can get too sure of yourself. After doing those tight spots near waterfalls etc. I went out into the open for a shot and managed to fly it into a tree branch right above my head! Beginners mistakes can still happen and keep you humble! 😂

Awesome. I enjoyed the whole video. I have been very wary of birds but perhaps now I can be a bit more adventurous. 👏👏🇦🇺
A complex question, I just happen to know that corellas are actually fascinated by drones and if you are gentle they'll let you even fly with them. Note in the clip that they are not flying away but across the flight path to check it out. Each species reacts differently and some WITHIN a species. I've had some emus freak out and others let me join their pecking the ground in the desert from just 2 metres away. Main thing is, harassment is not cool and keep your flight short.

Reactions: Geofff
Are you using OpenSky or similar apps to choose either orange or clear zones?

For instance, in OpenSky, Melbourne CBD shows up as Orange, with a yellow exclamation point because of Heliports.

Or do you mostly target non urban areas? Even in seemingly rural areas, you see a lot of small orange circles in OpenSky, which are usually heliports or Airport without Traffic Control.
I use Open Sky but as I operate mainly in the outback these kind of apps can be useless without a signal. We have to go even further than CASA rules back home. For example if I visit a cattle station I always check whether they have any heli-mustering going on as the little R22s can be operating just a few feet above the ground! Best tip is go by CASA rules, it's pretty straightforward.

Chris,
Thank you for sharing your video! I have bookmarked it for my two-minute mediation breaks during the day. I loved all of scenes---the waterfalls, the fog in the forest, the forest, the green pastures, the swans, the flying birds, the streams, the mountains, the sunlight. It is a variety of tranquil scenes, and the music fits well. Keep up the great work!
Dean
Chris that was awesome

Thanks Bussty, by the way I'm posting a new version soon with subtle differences including grading, titles and a widescreen look, even swapped out a clip or two (it's what I do!) 🙃. Should be online in an about an hour, see if you like it better
Hey Chris

I think I like the 2nd edit better, there is just something about that widescreen look! Also seems to flow together more smoothly.

That shot with the birds flying through the sun has a real life of it's own.

You are actually inspiring me your work is really like a slowly moving collection of high quality stills with that extra dimension added. It is quite cool not just seeing the static view but also not have it change so rapidly either... you have me thinking!

We probably don't appreciate it but something like what you have created even though only 4 mins in length will be hugely longer to put together. What do you reckon your total, planning, travel, shooting, editing time would roughly be on that?

There were a few having issues with sharpness on the M3 in the early days, how do you find it? Your video looks great but being a stills guy I really need to be stellar for stills, especially for the price.

Awesome work!

Cheers

Bussty

It's obvious, Chris lives down under so his video will be upside down for all you Northern Hemphispherians 🙃😂
It would take a Kiwi to come up with that, although now I'm wondering ...was it just a very dry joke?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brianklenhart