DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Pro You DON'T need a big drone to win big awards

@cgmaxed that was exactly the rational behind my decision to purchase the zino mini se ,instead of the pro version with the obstacle sensors more flight time, less internal heat from all the electronics inside, and no Hassell trying to do the sensor dance in front of the computer screen ,when they play up
so as i said earlier it allows consumers to decide what if any sensors they require and gives more choice to us the consumer
some will say that obstacle avoidance sensors are a must if using the various autonomous flight modes ,but we have all seen that they can be fooled by the conditions and the type of obstacle they are trying to avoid
i might add that despite my zino's lack of sensors it still has all the various programs for auto flights should i choose to do them
this post is in reply to your post #19 above

I've been flying drones for a few years now. I stopped using my obstacle sensors only after a few months of flying because, I did get that false sense of security and did crash a couple times.
Very interesting. My head has been going that direction lately. Took me a lot longer than a few months but I'm a lot more about "getting the shot" now than exploring and I find myself planning out and rehearsing a shot more than trying to have a contiguous flight recorded. I've been paying a lot more attention to how productions are made and am finding that it is rare to have a clip much longer than four seconds. Simply watching TV I started timing (thousand one, thousand two....) clips and was astounded. Given those parameters it is not difficult to maintain line of sight with the drone and alleviate a lot of contact potential. Haven't turned off the sensors yet but I'll be surely thinking about it.

Congratulations!

Reactions: christangey
I've been flying drones for a few years now. I stopped using my obstacle sensors only after a few months of flying because, I did get that false sense of security and did crash a couple times. Now that I almost never use the sensors, I wish they would make a no obstacle avoidance version of their drones. Except for the landing sensors, of course. It would reduce weight, power consumption and give longer flight times, I expect.
yes I think the sensors saved me many times in the first couple of weeks, a few times in the next year, after that you should be planning each shot well enough not to need them. But (Mod Removed)happens too!

Last edited by a moderator:
I've been honored to win 17 international drone film awards in 2020/21. That includes a recent US$5000 win in the landscape category at the world's premiere drone film event,
Jeju International Drone Film Festival in South Korea. My first winning short film "Unseen Australia" featured shots from an M2P but also from the original Mavic!

My second film "Outback" (the South Korea winner) was ALL shot on the M2P. The fact is YOU can win too, so be "Inspired" you have the tools already, go to it!

(You can also get to make lame speeches)

Breathtaking.

Yes, it's the photographer more than the equipment.

Yes sir eee bob! That's what I'm aiming for with my footage. Boy do I have a long way to go...
Great footage. I've really learned a lot by watching those few minutes.

Yes sir eee bob! That's what I'm aiming for with my footage. Boy do I have a long way to go...
Great footage. I've really learned a lot by watching those few minutes.
That's great Bransty!

Reactions: Bransty
Congrats and nicely done. I need to make sure to travel to some interesting places to fly. :)

Congrats and nicely done. I need to make sure to travel to some interesting places to fly. :)
or even just some "go to places" not too far from home for when the weather or light is interesting. If you have those pre-planned it can be a great start

or even just some "go to places" not too far from home for when the weather or light is interesting. If you have those pre-planned it can be a great start
Indeed. I spend a lot of time in Colorado, should be something good to shoot.

I've been honored to win 17 international drone film awards in 2020/21. That includes a recent US$5000 win in the landscape category at the world's premiere drone film event,
Jeju International Drone Film Festival in South Korea. My first winning short film "Unseen Australia" featured shots from an M2P but also from the original Mavic!

My second film "Outback" (the South Korea winner) was ALL shot on the M2P. The fact is YOU can win too, so be "Inspired" you have the tools already, go to it!

Nice, nice shot of the camels. The most important part of a good drone video is location and half decent composition. Regional laws also play a roll, here in Canada we can’t fly too close to wild life, disturb it, or chase it with a drone. I had an opportunity to mix it up with Alberta’s Pelicans but we’re not supposed to, Im tempted though lol. The Inspire 2 has zoom but it’s too loud, scares birds and animals pretty quick, I did manage some nice video of some Elk up in the Yukon, kinda broke the rules with a Bison in the NWT. I can’t use any of that video in a contest in case the wrong person sees it.

This M3 is nice and quiet though, we can only get within 75 feet of animals here, I think I can get to about that before they freak out... and chasing them once they do is a big no no here. We also can’t shoot in any parks where a lot of the best scenery is, big bummer.

Really enjoyed your video, the road train was pretty cool.

It is easy to see why you are winning awards. Spectacular!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
davidt2