DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

As a Pro are you still (unexpectedly to yourself!) NOT buying Mavic 3?

I believe can still use the microSD Card on the Cine for H264/265. You have to use the SSD for ProRes and cannot record ProRes to the microSD.
Ah, right. Of course. But still, the ProRes workflow makes it a niche product you pay a lot for, and I have had no need for that with my previous M2P or any other drone. I guess the same can be said for many other pilots/photographers. It is nice, but only for those who has that workflow set up already, or someone who is willing to invest the time & money on that. I hear that there is a lot of troubles with the SSD so far, later on it might work perfectly but still a niche product for the pro who has the equipment and software for ProRes workflow.

I believe can still use the microSD Card on the Cine for H264/265. You have to use the SSD for ProRes and cannot record ProRes to the microSD.
that point needs clarification as I've never seen that clearly articulated by DJI. You could well presume that but I learned a very long time ago that presumption is your worst enemy😎

that point needs clarification as I've never seen that clearly articulated by DJI. You could well presume that but I learned a very long time ago that presumption is your worst enemy😎
User here said he tested it both ways.

still a niche product for the pro who has the equipment and software for ProRes workflow.
Wait until the next part of Philip Bloom's review. There might be not a lot of pros who are willing to use Prores of the M3 in their workflows.

___

Thoughts of Ken Booth alias Bladestrike, who might be known by some of you elder DJI pilots ;) as the former head of US support, with a great reputation. He now joined Autel, so take his words with a grain of salt.

Bildschirmfoto 2021-12-03 um 02.40.07.jpg

Last edited:
I am unable to connect the Cine to my Dell Precision 7760, which has USB-C Thunderbolt 4 ports.

My workaround until DJI corrects this is to use a docking station or the USB-A port, both resulting in slower speed.

I don't shoot much video for my own use, I do mostly photography, and most of that these days is commercial construction progress. I went with the Cine because I do shoot video for local films and commercials that typically are using ProRes, so I can provide them with files that are more compatible for their post workflow, and possibly have more opportunities to be called when an Inspire is not a requirement.

Maybe the Cine PRO model will have a removable SSD for video pros!

A benefit of the SSD on the photo side is the write speed. I shoot in 5-step AEB (tossing out the +7 & -7 in post) due to the deep shadows I regularly encounter on tall structures, especially at this time of year. The Phantom 4 Pro writing RAW to SD cards has a lag that slows getting a second safety shot or a reframed shot.

It is surprising how many people keep referring to the Cine model as not being worth $2k extra, but that price includes the $1,200 RC Pro (which is a requirement over the hobbled standard controller), so the cost of the SSD and the ProRes license is $800 over the standard M3.

One more thing I would like to add comes from Phillip Bloom, and something I hadn't dwelt on as I haven't owned one day to day and he has. The cine version 1tb storage is not removable. This makes it unusable for many pro jobs where you are required to be on set all day long ready to fly. To download the Prores HQ footage you need to land the aircraft and spend up to an hour dumping the data before you can fly (shoot) again. So if the Cine version is for Pro Cinematographers like me, but can't be used professionally, who is it actually for? Kind of REALLY focuses the mind on whether to pay the extra AUD$3000 for the cine model. Again, I think this is a lack of consultation between designers and Pros.

Reactions: Crashdummytest
I am unable to connect the Cine to my Dell Precision 7760, which has USB-C Thunderbolt 4 ports.

My workaround until DJI corrects this is to use a docking station or the USB-A port, both resulting in slower speed.
Interesting, good to know! I'll compare that on MBP M1 Max soon.

That got me curious on the M3, and the Cine SSD transfer specs.

On the Dell 7760, the 2x Thunderbolt ports are TB4 and 3.2 v2 USB, and the 3x USBA ports are also 3.2 v1 USB. ( side note: Interesting Dell specs the TB4 ports as 3.2v2, when TB4 normally includes USB4 in Intel / Mac standards).

The M3 has a UBS-C port, unspecified which version... so one assumes USB3.1v1(same as 3.2v1) rated at max 5 Gbps which equates to 625 MB/s. (I read through manual and various sources, unable to locate port spec).

Although, more telling is the cable. The cable included with M3 Cine is "DJI 1Gbps Lightspeed data cable" which indicates the cable is rated at 1Gbps / 125 MB/s. In comparison USB3.1v2 is 10Gbps / 1250 MB/s... 10x Faster than M3 Cine Data cable is rated. The normal USB 3.1v2 (3.2v2) cable is marked and rated 10Gbps.... compared to DJI Cine cable marked & rated 1Gbps.

That's a little alarming... it's not even rated at USBn3.1v2 10Gbps speeds for Port Extraction... but 1Gbps. The Inspire 2 uses an extremely slow USB3.0 Reader (poor performance), and released a TG3 Reader for Thunderbolt 3 interface. The USB3 UG1 & 2 produce normally 3.5 Gbps and the TB3 provides above 10Gbps.

I don't have a M3Cine to test if port can support above DJI's rated 1Gbps / 125 MB/s... but per DJI's own cable spec it's limited to 1/10th extracting data compared to a I2 "Removable" SSD card (480 GB max) and UG2 3.5Gbps for 980GB card. (* released 980GB card after TG3 Reader, and never updated FW to allow support... released UG2 USB3).

If the above is accurate, then the bottle neck most likely won't be modern PC hardware, but the 1Gbps Port... at 125MB/s. A MicroSD normally can provide in range 70-95MB/s on USB3.1.

Reactions: christangey
Yes, well you certainly have to start questioning these so called "Pro" reviewers after this. So MANY points were missed, but some are the bleeding obvious, so why did they ALL miss those?

Eveyone on YT who uploaded the "review" video on release day and had drone prior to release is paid actor.

all of those reviews look the same, some of them didn't even capture the fotage.

YT is pathetic, is like watching TV, nothing on TV is not paid for by someone... All different forms of advertisment.

When I see" "Realy Honest review of M3" or "All 5 things you need to know about M3" or "The Drone We've Been Waiting For" I want to smash my monitor :)
Guy is literally unpacking the box and say: this drone flies great, over 45min of flight time... thumbsdown and to the next.

so I can provide them with files that are more compatible for their post workflow

Doing it for several years, simply by transcoding any footage to Prores before I hand it over, not only from drones but for all cameras I shoot with (Sony Alphas, FX6, FX9). All files get renamed in the DIT Process too, and they also get proper metadata.

No complains from any post house yet. So no need to get a CINE only for providing Prores files.

Eveyone on YT who uploaded the "review" video on release day and had drone prior to release is paid actor.

Fully agree. Same goes with any other product.

YT is pathetic

Not in general. You have to wait a month or so, to give real customers and especially filmmakers some time to form their honest opinion.

Doing it for several years, simply by transcoding any footage to Prores before I hand it over, not only from drones but for all cameras I shoot with (Sony Alphas, FX6, FX9). All files get renamed in the DIT Process too, and they also get proper metadata.

No complains from any post house yet. So no need to get a CINE only for providing Prores files.
Hear hear :)

Hear hear :)

yep, can be time consuming though and doesn't work on sets where the Production/Data wrangler insists you dump the footage immediately.

doesn't work on sets where the Production/Data wrangler insists you dump the footage immediately.
That's true but very very rare in my case.
Anyway, dumping footage to DIT during or after the day is somehow problematic with a build in SSD. ;)

____

Don't get me wrong, I would have liked to get a substantial upgrade for my 2 Mavic 2 Pros and waited eagerly for the Mavic 3. But the closer I look at it, the more disappointed I get. Today I learned that you can't even get a clean feed out of HDMI with the RC Pro, which is also a deal breaker for me.

To summ it up, in my point of view the Mavic 3 simply isn't ready for any professional M2P owner, It's a step back in many regards, with only minor improvements in image quality, if any. And it's debatable if or when DJI will ever get it on par with the Mavic 2 Pro by updating the FW / Fly App.

Last edited:
Interesting side note... whenever DJI releases a new model most sources are sold out quickly. The BestBuy stores normally are sold out, maybe 1 store in 50 mile radius had one. The DJI FPV, Mini 2 and Air2S were all hard to get for a period of time.

Just checked today... considering getting one to examine & return (no return fees in my State).

Just noticed that every single BestBuy store has inventory... just in my area, 12 Stores all have inventory. That either states low sales or huge overstock... don't think it's overstock.

Interesting side note... whenever DJI releases a new model most sources are sold out quickly. The BestBuy stores normally are sold out, maybe 1 store in 50 mile radius had one. The DJI FPV, Mini 2 and Air2S were all hard to get for a period of time.

Just checked today... considering getting one to examine & return (no return fees in my State).

Just noticed that every single BestBuy store has inventory... just in my area, 12 Stores all have inventory. That either states low sales or huge overstock... don't think it's overstock.
very interesting Doug

whenever DJI releases a new model most sources are sold out quickly.
Just noticed that every single BestBuy store has inventory
But the Mavic 3 isn't a cheap, mass market, entry-level drone that everyone would be lining up wanting to buy.

But the Mavic 3 isn't a cheap, mass market, entry-level drone that everyone would be lining up wanting to buy.
True, but I think he means all things being equal. Any DJI release can justify at least one or two in stock in each store no matter what part of the market it's aimed at.

Reactions: globetrotterdrone
True, but I think he means all things being equal. Any DJI release can justify at least one or two in stock in each store no matter what part of the market it's aimed at.
The Mavic 2 Pro wasn't cheap and it sold out. Face it... The Mavic 3 is a money grab and would had sold out if you got what you paid for.

Reactions: globetrotterdrone
Correct, BestBuy purchased inventory based on statistical predictions on sales. Their purchasing mgmt realize the price and targeted market, they'll purchase based on that quantity, not based on Mini 2 predictions.

Any BigBox's goal is to move "product", and gain profit. They really don't have interest to know product other than associated to sales.

To me that suggests DJI provided market demographics of predictable New Buyer & Existing Owner Upgrades to retailers that was more optimistic than actual. That market data is then used by Purchasing Dept based on profits & product turn-over.

Similarly, the estimates on the new DJI FPV... gave projections for an unknown product, unknown Buyers, and unknown reception of new class of product that was 3x the price of normal DIY FPV crafts... while the majority of YT reviews were negative... this was actually much more risky than the M3. A $1300 product was very expensive for an undetermined market... had new risk... DJI had to have been a little nervous on their new endeavor. Someone got a good bonus on the successful launch! The M3 is an upgrade product of a successful older established product, with a reputable Brand... that has a statistical value in matrix.

For the DJI FPV, they hit their goal... product was on shelfs quickly, and sold out quickly. That data was used for 2nd & 3rd round ordering and again highly successful.

The M3 Flymore Kit went through the same process, and it's sitting in Inventory. BestBuy didn't stock or purchase the M3 Cine because it didn't support the numbers & profit for their market... similarly they don't sell Inspire 2 or Matrice platform.

Reactions: christangey
I ordered my FMC M3 on the day of launch, directly from dji.com. It arrived just a couple of days later. I prefer fresh like this, no used parts inside.
My first flight was in complete darkness with a sizzle of rain. Took it to 39 meters and flew around a bit before hand-landing it safely due to fog & rain.
It was love at first flight, and only love from then on.
It's not expensive, lets get that out of the way. It's just that the Air2s is super inexpensive.

I come from years of flying the M2P, and lesser drones.
The M3 is my dream drone. Love the bag, love the facemask, love the batteries. About the missing features: it is good that hyperlapse is currently missing, so I can fly it around a bit and explore the cameras and flight characteristics before getting back into that addiction:).
The hyperlapse feature of the M2P was just fantastic. Hopefully they are working on something similar or better for the M3. The Air2s HL is not of the same caliber even though it is 4K RAW.

This is not a review as I am completely in love with the thing.
Would like to complain about the small screen of the SC Pro, but I can live with it.
I have to agree, I’ve found it great, yes lots of SW to come, but both stills and video out of this thing are great, and it flys like all dji drones, “really great” I think the complaints I read are very similar to what I have read about with the release of every dji drone so I’m not worried about this, all dji drones improve with time. I look forward to flying this drone as much as I can.

Reactions: Crashdummytest
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ParKOR