DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

As a Pro are you still (unexpectedly to yourself!) NOT buying Mavic 3?

@Skyscope
Great and detailed post. I think you have captured the general consensus of disappointment and then gone way deeper with your observations and thoughts on D-Log.

@globetrotterdrone
Its surely a matter of time before all these issues start appearing on yt videos. Until then thank goodness for the forums!
Yes but ironically I think next time DJI design a foldable drone they hope pros will use, they ask advice from those who do it for a living every day. Many DJI youtube "influencers" (not all) have a lot to answer for.

One more thing I would like to add comes from Phillip Bloom, and something I hadn't dwelt on as I haven't owned one day to day and he has. The cine version 1tb storage is not removable. This makes it unusable for many pro jobs where you are required to be on set all day long ready to fly. To download the Prores HQ footage you need to land the aircraft and spend up to an hour dumping the data before you can fly (shoot) again. So if the Cine version is for Pro Cinematographers like me, but can't be used professionally, who is it actually for? Kind of REALLY focuses the mind on whether to pay the extra AUD$3000 for the cine model. Again, I think this is a lack of consultation between designers and Pros.

Well the answer for professionals is amazingly simple. Just buy 2! Whilst the one is downloading, the other is filming.

Yes its pricy but even 2 M3's are probably about half the size of an Inspire 2 and anyone working on big commercial projects would probably be able to justify the costs.

How does the Inspire 2 handle this issue?

@Point Zero
Your bypass might be the key of how DJI got the design. If it doesn't fit, it's not your use case or you have to simply invest more money.

Instead of a removable media (it's "just" NVMe with known interface) they chose the built-in for ease of manufacturing. @christangey is correct, that is either sloppy design or by intention to reduce costs and space and/or strengthen additction to DJI's own products (instead of buying 3rd party media, we know from Apple etc.).

storage.jpg

external.png

Might be no problem for a commercial set up anyway, as you mentioned, but I don't like such designs that could have been better.;)

Last edited:
Fortunately “you tube influencers” are the last place I would look for gear advice
Yes, but I guess we also need to make the distinction between Influencers and others who are simply on youtube (like most of us I think!) It's all in the wasted time you need to spend in sorting the wheat from the chaff.

The Inspire 2 uses CineSSD cards... a Samsung NVMe in a DJI proprietary case, read by a DJI proprietary USB3 or Thunderbolt Reader. The 480GB are apx $1000 each, and the 980GB are apx $1600 each.... minimum of 2 required.

Based on either CineSSD card... having a minimal of 2 is $2000 to $3600 just for 2 Cards.
Add on the I2, X5S or X7 and lenses... you easily exceed 2 M3Cine.
Although other than physical size & improved OcuSync RC, I don't see the M3 providing an improvement: Fixed Lens, fixed SSD, FLY App, etc, etc.

I'll retain the I2's and M2P/Z's for now.
Hopefully as I2's are flushed for the amazing M3Cine... I'll be able to acquire discounted CineSSD's.

@christangey and Cine Pros... attempted to encourage a M2P vs M2AS up in post #65. Maybe wanting to avoid the onslaught of comments... but any personal viewpoint? All Youtubes aside, what's your "working" opinion between the 2 platforms? Many have remained on the M2P, and as an income generating "tool" an upgrade in your field wouldn't be a tough decision if gains: Time, Performance, Quality, etc were accomplished in workflow.

I have M2P/Z, M2A & M2AS.. on a low level, I'm simply not a huge fan of the FLY App.
Have you remained on M2P for any reasons?

Reactions: christangey
@christangey and Cine Pros... attempted to encourage a M2P vs M2AS up in post #65. Maybe wanting to avoid the onslaught of comments... but any personal viewpoint? All Youtubes aside, what's your "working" opinion between the 2 platforms? Many have remained on the M2P, and as an income generating "tool" an upgrade in your field wouldn't be a tough decision if gains: Time, Performance, Quality, etc were accomplished in workflow.

I have M2P/Z, M2A & M2AS.. on a low level, I'm simply not a huge fan of the FLY App.
Have you remained on M2P for any reasons?
I think everyone has unique considerations and circumstances, personally I wouldn't have a clue about the M2A etc, as I don't own one and so I don't waste my energy on thinking about what I'm not working with. It's a bit like people asking me for advice on what main workhorse camera to buy. As we often only buy the best specs at the time so they last up to 5 years, quite often I will have no idea what is new on the market as I'm not currently shopping around. One of my main reasons for staying in the mid-range drone range generally, believe it or not, is paperwork. I HATE paperwork, so if I started working above the sub-2kg class in Australia I would basically have to have a pilot's license with all the logs, planning and recording info that requires. My choices are many, not just between the M3 and the M2P, but between the M3 and the M3 Cine. I've given all of my reasoning already in this thread but if you wanted to really hone it down I would repeat: The Fly app alone is just about a dealbreaker before we go any further, Go4 is not perfect but BOY is it better for Pros who usually fly every setting on manual. The non-removable drive on the Cine is also close to a dealbreaker, if it isn't in fact already. Unless you buy TWO (which is a ridiculous proposition) you can't be available at all times on a pro shoot as your drone will be grounded for up to an hour as the Data Wrangler dumps the HQ footage (as opposed to just handing them a removable card/drive whatever) And if I were to get the cine version there would be no way that I would always want to gather the massive amount of data Prores HQ generates, so why not give us also the option of Prores 422 and Prores 422LT? I don't like the controller on either, the standard version loses both a screen and functionality from the previous model and the Cine version forces you into a controller with just a 5.5" screen, I would MUCH rather continue shooting on the bigger screen of my Ipad mini with sunscreen even if it is nowhere near as bright. Anyway I could go on but maybe somebody can give you the direct comparison you are looking for.

I think everyone has unique considerations and circumstances, personally I wouldn't have a clue about the M2A etc, as I don't own one and so I don't waste my energy on thinking about what I'm not working with. It's a bit like people asking me for advice on what main workhorse camera to buy. As we often only buy the best specs at the time so they last up to 5 years, quite often I will have no idea what is new on the market as I'm not currently shopping around. One of my main reasons for staying in the mid-range drone range generally, believe it or not, is paperwork. I HATE paperwork, so if I started working above the sub-2kg class in Australia I would basically have to have a pilot's license with all the logs, planning and recording info that requires. My choices are many, not just between the M3 and the M2P, but between the M3 and the M3 Cine. I've given all of my reasoning already in this thread but if you wanted to really hone it down I would repeat: The Fly app alone is just about a dealbreaker before we go any further, Go4 is not perfect but BOY is it better for Pros who usually fly every setting on manual. The non-removable drive on the Cine is also close to a dealbreaker, if it isn't in fact already. Unless you buy TWO (which is a ridiculous proposition) you can't be available at all times on a pro shoot as your drone will be grounded for up to an hour as the Data Wrangler dumps the HQ footage (as opposed to just handing them a removable card/drive whatever) And if I were to get the cine version there would be no way that I would always want to gather the massive amount of data Prores HQ generates, so why not give us also the option of Prores 422 and Prores 422LT? I don't like the controller on either, the standard version loses both a screen and functionality from the previous model and the Cine version forces you into a controller with just a 5.5" screen, I would MUCH rather continue shooting on the bigger screen of my Ipad mini with sunscreen even if it is nowhere near as bright. Anyway I could go on but maybe somebody can give you the direct comparison you are looking for.
You've hit your points, much appreciated! Just didn't know if the M2A series had an undesired cinematic feature which isn't the case. Always interested in actual usage of a Pro's opinions vs YouTubers.

I agree on several points expressed in non-cinimatic features: app, controller, etc.

The new iPad Mini 6 looks like a nice upgrade.. brighter & improved screen. I have recently been using the Tripltek 8", similar to Crystal Sky brightness... great performance but it's on the heavy side too. Ipad Pro 11 or ipad mini is much lighter.

You've hit your points, much appreciated! Just didn't know if the M2A series had an undesired cinematic feature which isn't the case. Always interested in actual usage of a Pro's opinions vs YouTubers.

I agree on several points expressed in non-cinimatic features: app, controller, etc.

The new iPad Mini 6 looks like a nice upgrade.. brighter & improved screen. I have recently been using the Tripltek 8", similar to Crystal Sky brightness... great performance but it's on the heavy side too. Ipad Pro 11 or ipad mini is much lighter.
The really sad thing for me is that I have had the money in the bank, literally in a specific account for 2 years, fully expecting to purchase the M3 on day one. It is now over 2 weeks since I posted this thread and I am still no closer to deciding whether I will buy it or not. I am actually waiting for DJI to acknowledge the multiple mistakes they have made and to give us all a rectification timeline, that's all we want, honesty. I fear I will be waiting in vain though and the DJI M3 will go down in history as "the drone that could have been".

I often wonder why DJI felt is was necessary to abandon Go4. Does anyone have an opinion about that?
Could be as simple as they had to hire another software development team and thus they had to start with a new Frame work, I had that happen years ago on a phone app that I was having made. Considering Covid and the many people it took out, I see it a very possible that is what happened. Maybe someone can check the dates to see if the software matches up with the Covid Outbreaks.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain.

The Fly app was well previous to Covid. The Go4 continues to be updated… and if M2P can use Go4, it was more of a direction decision than a design limitation to place M3 on Fly app.

The Covid mortality was less than 0.1 % Globally… overall extremely low for pandemic (not to belittle those lost) and the majority weren’t healthy mid-age so I’d assume that wasn’t part of the Fly vs Go4 decision. If a simplified App direction is DJI’s new direction then they’re forfeiting one major advantage they’ve held… a strong professional app interface.

Their Pilot app for Enterprise is another poorly developed app compared to the Go3 or Go4 apps... it too limited my desire to purchase the M2EAdv. If a new platform replacing the Inspire 2 is coupled to a Fly App, that‘ll push many towards other options.

In my opinion, the last 2 apps: Pilot and Fly have been backwards, reducing the functionality, control and capabilities of their platforms. The added features provided by 3rd party developers clearly demonstrates this lacking. Maybe that’s the direction for Cinematic operations… a 3rd party app providing addition features & controls.

Let me provide some positive feedback about the M3 amidst all the negativity. Hopefully all the complaints will make DJI provide the advanced functionality of Go4 in the Fly app after a while. It is sorely missed by all M3 owners I would guess.
Some positive points about the new M3 FMC:
- Great increase in flight-time. It's not a hype, maybe 50% increase compared to my M2P.
- The bag is great in terms of formfactor and capacity.
- The facemask solves the gimbal protector problem once and for all.
- Top speed is now 75kph, an increase from 72kph compared to M2P.
- Range is improved.
- Flight characteristics are improved, now snappy, similar to Air2/Air2S or better.
- USB-C charging directly on the drone is convenient.
- Build quality seems to be improved, hard to tell so early in the relationship.
- The camera seems epic, but not thoroughly tested yet due to missing features.
After numerous flights in different conditions I can say that I would have bought this drone even without the forthcoming GO4 features. It is that good. It flies with real confidence, and nicely quiet, made for night flight recording.

After numerous flights in different conditions I can say that I would have bought this drone even without the forthcoming GO4 features. It is that good. It flies with real confidence, and nicely quiet, made for night flight recording.
That's great to hear! It certainly has strengths and it's clearly an improvement to an older M2P. Although that may serve the Prosumer/Pro Hobbyist market better than Pro Cinematography. I'm confident more features will be added too, that adds to the appeal of many. I'm certainly not a Pro Cinematographer.

Flying a Construction site, Realty, Mapping, 3D modeling, etc probably wouldn't require the Cine SSD, and if was used most likely wouldn't fill and require a dump mid-project to continue mission.

Like the I2, I'd like the ability to not use SSD, although have that option available if needed in future. The I2 you could add anytime: purchase license and SSD. The M3 is a purchase decision out the gate... which would require the Cine version to cover unknown bases. So then one is buying a pricey platform that may or may not be used above a lower cost platform's requirements. Like buying a base I2 when a M2P is all that's needed currently.

Reactions: Crashdummytest
That's great to hear! It certainly has strengths and it's clearly an improvement to an older M2P. Although that may serve the Prosumer/Pro Hobbyist market better than Pro Cinematography. I'm confident more features will be added too, that adds to the appeal of many. I'm certainly not a Pro Cinematographer.

Flying a Construction site, Realty, Mapping, 3D modeling, etc probably wouldn't require the Cine SSD, and if was used most likely wouldn't fill and require a dump mid-project to continue mission.

Like the I2, I'd like the ability to not use SSD, although have that option available if needed in future. The I2 you could add anytime: purchase license and SSD. The M3 is a purchase decision out the gate... which would require the Cine version to cover unknown bases. So then one is buying a pricey platform that may or may not be used above a lower cost platform's requirements. Like buying a base I2 when a M2P is all that's needed currently.
But it does require waypoints and an available SDK for flight programming software. A third of my work is ortho maps, so the mavic 3 is useless. A third of my work is roof inspections, no tripod mode, so again completely useless. The rest is photography and video, but the dinky controller, lack of working features, not using GO.etc etc etc , again completely useless. Sticking with the M2P at this stage. Hoping they will chuck the new sensor on a M2P body and give us a platinum version. That I would buy.

Also note the cine version is $7000 in Australia. Is the M3 a $5000 upgrade? I would probably spend some extra and get an rtk phantom or something.

But it does require waypoints and an available SDK for flight programming software. A third of my work is ortho maps, so the mavic 3 is useless. A third of my work is roof inspections, no tripod mode, so again completely useless. The rest is photography and video, but the dinky controller, lack of working features, not using GO.etc etc etc , again completely useless. Sticking with the M2P at this stage. Hoping they will chuck the new sensor on a M2P body and give us a platinum version. That I would buy.

Also note the cine version is $7000 in Australia. Is the M3 a $5000 upgrade? I would probably spend some extra and get an rtk phantom or something.
Would agree with the bulk of your comments. Several of those are SW & FW based, something many feel will be presented in time.… distributing SDK isn’t a challenge if desired.

Moving from Fly App to Go4 would be wonderful but reality, won’t happen… as well as MFT sensor on a M2P platform... M2 series will phase out soon for DJI.

I have no plans to purchase currently, my M2P/Z and I2’s meet my needs and my interests have shifted more toward the EVO2 Enterprise... but Autel Mgmt & Craft have their set of issues too.

To be honest: I would never buy the Cine version. That one is only for commercial producers.
I am very disappointed in the SC Pro - way too expensive and the screen is a joke for something that costly. That said: The M3 is the only drone I need, when the GO4 features becomes available in Fly. To have a reduced set of features in the M3 compared to M2P is unacceptable. If so, customer loyalty will be seriously at risk for DJI I believe. The M3 would then probably be my last pro DJI drone.

To be honest: I would never buy the Cine version. That one is only for commercial producers.
I am very disappointed in the SC Pro - way too expensive and the screen is a joke for something that costly. That said: The M3 is the only drone I need, when the GO4 features becomes available in Fly. To have a reduced set of features in the M3 compared to M2P is unacceptable. If so, customer loyalty will be seriously at risk for DJI I believe. The M3 would then probably be my last pro DJI drone.
I'm a bit confused. What makes you think that DJI will put the GO4 features in Fly? I mean, I hope you are right, but I have heard no evidence of this.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pleopard