DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

As a Pro are you still (unexpectedly to yourself!) NOT buying Mavic 3?

Ok, that's it. At least I have now eliminated the Cine as an option now. Kinda glad.... I just saved myself some serious money too! Just read about a guy on another forum unable to get his PC to talk to his SSD, DJI can't help, so he can't download his footage and he is sending it back. Totally and utterly unacceptable for Pros. I have NEVER had an issue with the 20 or so SSDs (mainly Samsung) I own and use in other cameras. On a commercial job the contents of that drive could well be worth many thousands of dollars and Pros can neither afford to lose the data OR have a delay in accessing it, as often jobs are time-critical for the client. At least that option is now gone, now I am just left with the decision on whether to buy a standard M3 at all.

I'm a bit confused. What makes you think that DJI will put the GO4 features in Fly? I mean, I hope you are right, but I have heard no evidence of this.
Sorry, my bad in being unclear: Where are the advanced features as found in GO4 for Mavic 2, in FLY for Mavic 3? We all know they should appear in the Jan22 fw update, so the answer should be: they are in the future, coming soon to your M3. Examples: Hyperlapse, Panorama. Not to mention that GO4 had slightly better ergonomics, what's up with the tiny buttons in the FLY menus etc. Really hope for a revolutionary update of FLY in january.

Ok, that's it. At least I have now eliminated the Cine as an option now. Kinda glad.... I just saved myself some serious money too! Just read about a guy on another forum unable to get his PC to talk to his SSD, DJI can't help, so he can't download his footage and he is sending it back. Totally and utterly unacceptable for Pros. I have NEVER had an issue with the 20 or so SSDs (mainly Samsung) I own and use in other cameras. On a commercial job the contents of that drive could well be worth many thousands of dollars and Pros can neither afford to lose the data OR have a delay in accessing it, as often jobs are time-critical for the client. At least that option is now gone, now I am just left with the decision on whether to buy a standard M3 at all.
Just do it, no regrets as the HW is sound, it does what it says on the box. Take it from someone who has flown his M2P to bits.

To have a reduced set of features in the M3 compared to M2P is unacceptable. If so, customer loyalty will be seriously at risk for DJI I believe. The M3 would then probably be my last pro DJI drone.
Yet you already bought the M3.
From DJI's side, they probably made enough right decisions for that to happen.

Most people will ignore or forget those things anyway, when the hype train kicks in with Mavic 4. 😋

• Haha
Reactions: Crashdummytest
No .. he didn't.
He was waiting to find out more about what the M3 was before committing.
Then I misread, I got the impression that Crashdummytest has the M3 and is waiting for the FW update (that's why I quoted him). I was not talking about christangey. ;)

Then I misread, I got the impression that Crashdummytest has the M3 and is waiting for the FW update (that's why I quoted him). I was not talking about christangey. ;)
You are right about that, I have had the M3 for a while. I highly recommend it, but like everybody else waiting for the firmware update that will fix the missing features (for example the Go4 version of Hyperlapse and tripod etc, all the main features and more).

Reactions: globetrotterdrone
Would agree with the bulk of your comments. Several of those are SW & FW based, something many feel will be presented in time.… distributing SDK isn’t a challenge if desired.

Moving from Fly App to Go4 would be wonderful but reality, won’t happen… as well as MFT sensor on a M2P platform... M2 series will phase out soon for DJI.

I have no plans to purchase currently, my M2P/Z and I2’s meet my needs and my interests have shifted more toward the EVO2 Enterprise... but Autel Mgmt & Craft have their set of issues too.
Ask the mini guys how long they have been waiting for the SDK release ..

And a review I saw yesterday, it's taking 40 minutes to to dump the prores footage onto another SSD, which is consuming another battery as well

Reactions: christangey
And a review I saw yesterday, it's taking 40 minutes to to dump the prores footage onto another SSD, which is consuming another battery as well
Exactly, I didn't want to go into all the detail, just enough to get my point across...but yeah many things don't work with a pro workflow if you are expected to be on-call throughout the day.

Can you not plug the usb-c lead in whilst downloading to save the battery or does it not work like that?

Either way its definitely a major roadblock in the M3's professional workflow

To have a reduced set of features in the M3 compared to M2P is unacceptable. If so, customer loyalty will be seriously at risk for DJI I believe. The M3 would then probably be my last pro DJI drone.
That’s the confusing marketing strategy DJI has taken. They’ve persistently been market leaders in platform, SW designed apps, 3rd Party involvement, and new models timed to maintain momentum.

The recent venture to test market on a hybrid FPV under all sorts of negative pre-release reviews & media… hit a amazing home run with consumer. Wasn’t predicted, caught the copy cats off guard providing an ample lead.

So now as competitors are actually gaining ground offering swapable payloads, multiple sensors, multiple crafts, etc. DJI takes a slim down approach in SW and Crafts when they’ve got the capability to out pace, spend and design most competition.

Where’s the M3Pro… and Inspire 3… focused on the Prosumer and Professional coupled with the Professional Apps & Tools. Used to be the Hobbyists purchased the Pro model because he wanted the Best, even at a Premium. Now it appears offering a consumer craft and telling the Pros this will work for you too!

Maybe there is a reason, why DJI didn't label it Mavic 3 PRO as a direct successor of the Mavic 2 Pro. 2022 may show other drones, especially from Autel, and DJI might just bump up their existing model to outrun the competition with a PRO.

Yeah, I know, a lot of might, may be, could be ... etc. however would make sense (for DJI) to release a "starter" drone before Christmas, get the early birds, wait for other manufactureres in the upcoming year and then release in full.

Guess, we'll see.

Maybe there is a reason, why DJI didn't label it Mavic 3 PRO as a direct successor of the Mavic 2 Pro. 2022 may show other drones, especially from Autel, and DJI might just bump up their existing model to outrun the competition with a PRO.

Yeah, I know, a lot of might, may be, could be ... etc. however would make sense (for DJI) to release a "starter" drone before Christmas, get the early birds, wait for other manufactureres in the upcoming year and then release in full.

Guess, we'll see.
Well you never know. It all looks a lot like covid too, I'm wondering if they lost a lot of their best people. Of course we'll never know that.

Reactions: globetrotterdrone
It all looks a lot like covid too

Probably, but that's no reason to ship such an unfinished product, to say at least, which is in some regards even worse than its predecessor, but way more expensive.

Sure, they wanted to release the M3 for the holiday season, but this will easily backfire, because in the future I won't be the only one hesitating to buy any DJI product early after its release.

Another example was the DJI FPV, which I bought on day one, even though I knew it had some flaws with its camera, but easily to fix. Result so far: Only one minor FW-Update in 9 months, none of them were touched. In hindsight I'm not surprised, if they obviously don't even have enough dev capacity to finish their FW and apps for their upcoming products...

Last edited:
That’s the confusing marketing strategy DJI has taken. They’ve persistently been market leaders in platform, SW designed apps, 3rd Party involvement, and new models timed to maintain momentum.

The recent venture to test market on a hybrid FPV under all sorts of negative pre-release reviews & media… hit a amazing home run with consumer. Wasn’t predicted, caught the copy cats off guard providing an ample lead.

So now as competitors are actually gaining ground offering swapable payloads, multiple sensors, multiple crafts, etc. DJI takes a slim down approach in SW and Crafts when they’ve got the capability to out pace, spend and design most competition.

Where’s the M3Pro… and Inspire 3… focused on the Prosumer and Professional coupled with the Professional Apps & Tools. Used to be the Hobbyists purchased the Pro model because he wanted the Best, even at a Premium. Now it appears offering a consumer craft and telling the Pros this will work for you too!
One could possibly consider the Cine as M3 Pro. But that one seems like a disaster to me, as you are restricted to only use the SSD, no microSD, and the price is ridiculous. And there seems to be a lot of issues with it.

One could possibly consider the Cine as M3 Pro. But that one seems like a disaster to me, as you are restricted to only use the SSD, no microSD, and the price is ridiculous. And there seems to be a lot of issues with it.
I believe can still use the microSD Card on the Cine for H264/265. You have to use the SSD for ProRes and cannot record ProRes to the microSD.

Reactions: christangey
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rarmstrong2580