DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

As a Pro are you still (unexpectedly to yourself!) NOT buying Mavic 3?

Returning mine as I know there will be No restocking fee and feel let down as I have flown the Mavic 2 Pro thousands of times. The Mavic 2 Pro simply is a better drone.. a much better bang for your buck as you could get it at $1500 or less when on sale. I paid $1350 total for mine as many others have.

Reactions: christangey
Wow I haven’t pulled the trigger myself and that was one of my questions why are they using this fly app instead of Dji go 4 you’ve answered a lot of my questions are and I totally trust you that you’re a professional I’m just a hobbyist and I have three DGI drones they all use Dji go -4, I knew the app was cheesy when I had my friend buy the air -2, he had never flown before so I loaded it up for him from the App store and I thought to myself what a cheesy App that might just keep me from buying this drone just that alone I just don’t get it and you’re right about keeping us in the loop also all the people that have purchased I’ve not read one article about someoneRaving how great the drone is how much more it can do pretty sad I’ve been waiting long time for this drone I’m sure after a little time I’ll probably go ahead and squeeze the trigger
what's even worse is the ONLY controller for the Mavic 3 is ONLY included in the $5000 version or you have to pay $1200! yes the Standard Mavic 3 Pro controller is a toy for us pro flyers who need to change settings without hesitation. I am returning mine as I do not want to fork over $1200 right now for a controller that has a small screen built in.

Not only was I suprised that the mavic 3 used FLY instead of GO, an obvious downgrade,but they went with a dinky controller. I really like the extra information the mavic 2 controller has on the screen. I just can't fathom what DJI were thinking, when this is supposed to be their flagship (?) drone now I guess. If they just slapped the new sensor on the mavic 2 body, I would probably have one right now, but instead it's a hard pass from me.

Edit some other thoughts:

1. Could they have made a cheaper drone without that god awful "zoom" lens?

2. Why did we need another smart controller? Most pilots already have numerous devices already.

3 When are we realistically going to see the SDK released or GroundStation support?

4. I read in one of the previous posts there is no tripod mode?

4. Are they going to update fly so can have aperture/shutter/manual modes at my fingertips?

Starting to feel like I could write an essay about what is missing.

Last edited:
I really didn't expect to be where I am today. I fully expected to pay much more for the Mavic 3, no problems. The "zoom" lens not great? Well I don't care much as it's effectively a bonus feature compared to the M2P anyway. Active tracking etc? Can take it or leave it really.

But here I am a week after launch still deciding not just when I will buy the Mavic 3, but even IF I will buy the aircraft at all, and I have had the money sitting in a separate bank account for nearly 2 years ready to pay the money. Take my money DJI! But no, that hasn't happened.

Just for some context as to what I do: I've owned 4 DJI drones. On the M2P I've shot for Warner Brothers, Universal Pictures and BBC. Shot films under Director Werner Herzog and DP Russell Boyd ACS, ASC. This year I was a finalist in the Boston Drone Film Festival, "Landscape" winner in AZDroneFest Arizona and have won 14 other international drone awards including 3 different festivals in New York City, blah, blah blah.....but just trying to point out I know my stuff a bit, and get paid to do it.

What is it with this "DJI Fly" thing? Really? I'd never heard of the app until yesterday and we are being forced to use this instead of DJI Go4? What? Why bring out a Pro drone and then go way backwards in app functionality, pretty much to beginner level? In all sorts of ways this drone is a beta version. Now that is fine, if DJI want to keep us updated on what they are doing and when, but are they really....and fully? Yes, we have all heard of this January 22 firmware update, but what about all the other features? Sami Sarkis from Hosiho(dot)net writes a great blog article on all this, translated from French to English in his site, it is easily understood. These are just some of his questions:

• The Dji Fly App is too simple for a professional pilot: why did you drop Dji GO 4? Are there any plans for a Dji Fly Pro?
  • Pros shoot manual! Why is it so hard to enter manual settings on DJI Fly? The Fly app may well be the dealbreaker for me.
  • Why is it impossible to install Dji Fly on your CrystalSky monitors?
  • We have listed the shortcomings of the version to be released in early November 2021: can you tell us what is likely to be added in terms of features, settings, etc.?

Other questions:

• We would like a real Tripod Mode with the possibility to adjust the Horizontal and Vertical speed as well: is this envisaged?
  • Rough and aggressive behaviour of the M3C in flight even in Cine mode: could we access and modify the parameters to adapt them to each pilot?
  • Should there be a stop when zooming with the 24mm from x0 to x4 in order to avoid going to x7 with a jump of images?
  • Zoom only at 30p: no 25p for Europe, UK, Australia, New Zealand, Singapore?
  • Bring back a HQ/FOV mode like on the Mavic 2 pro please?
  • Iso at 400 or 800 in DLog Profile: why not from 100 to 1600 Iso like M2p?
  • Bring back the choice of file indexing mode, e.g. Continuous as on Dji GO 4?
  • ProRes recording on the 1Tb SSD: why not also record a H265/264 file on a microSD card like on the Inspire 2?
  • Will there be Waypoints?
  • Can you allow keyboard input of Distance or Altitude limits?
  • Allow the pilot to enter the battery warning thresholds like on Dji GO 4?
  • No HLG? Many Pros require an HDR format

Anyway my hope is that DJI will keep us "in the loop" and be honest and open about what they are doing as every day that goes by they risk Pros looking elsewhere
for other drones in this price and weight segment. Ok I've said my piece and now I'm going to clear my head in the "Outback":)

It's nice to see an award winning pro provide some really nice insightful questions regarding this drone. I don't put too much weight into many of the YouTubers who go gaga over anything new DJI produces.

Just for some context as to what I do: I've owned 4 DJI drones. On the M2P I've shot for Warner Brothers, Universal Pictures and BBC. Shot films under Director Werner Herzog and DP Russell Boyd ACS, ASC. This year I was a finalist in the Boston Drone Film Festival, "Landscape" winner in AZDroneFest Arizona and have won 14 other international drone awards including 3 different festivals in New York City, blah, blah blah.....but just trying to point out I know my stuff a bit, and get paid to do it.

What is it with this "DJI Fly" thing? Really? I'd never heard of the app until yesterday and we are being forced to use this instead of DJI Go4? What? Why bring out a Pro drone and then go way backwards in app functionality, pretty much to beginner level? In all sorts of ways this drone is a beta version. Now that is fine, if DJI want to keep us updated on what they are doing and when, but are they really....and fully? Yes, we have all heard of this January 22 firmware update, but what about all the other features? Sami Sarkis from Hosiho(dot)net writes a great blog article on all this, translated from French to English in his site, it is easily understood. These are just some of his questions:
Chris, Enjoyed your writeup and depth!
Little bit on different track but also relates… Always a discussion on chasing the newest / best technology.
You’re work is similar to others I’ve read, in that an older craft continues to be a mainstay in your equipment.

Several indicate MA2S 1” camera (and now M3 MFT) are so much better than the M2P/Z. May also be in-directly associated to the Go4App vs FlyApp but your work appears to be exemplary using the M2P… and without waypoints... also impressive for single Operator.

In a Pro’s viewpoint & post processing procedures… what’s your opinion of the M2P vs MA2S comparison?
The other DJI drones you’ve owned, had you used the Inspire 2 & X7 & Dual Operators?

I’m certainly no Cinematography Pro and own the M2P/Z, MA2, MA2S and I2. I personally don’t see a lot of difference between M2P & MA2S compared to X5S & X7 with sharp lenses.

Would greatly appreciate a recognized award winning Pro’s opinion and viewpoints on Craft / Sensor comparisons & aerial footage (depth, distance, F-stops, etc) that one camera/sensor has over the others.

Reactions: Point Zero
Today is my second try with the M3 flight test. At around 400 meters away I've experienced screen glitches, red bars, lags and freezes ..during a long period on the smart controller. I've got the so expansive Cine Version. These made me anxious and very nervous. Unable to be confident with this drone as I am with my old good M2P.. I was flying in a field on a coastal spot. No buildings, no waves, no perturbations, flat surface.

Talking about flying attitude, it's terrible and so weird. I'm used to flying my M2P without trouble, also with FPV Kwad...But this one is acting weird... It's breaking when you're trying to make a smooth turn, and so on...I've try using different stick combination to make smooth turn ... and it's not even smooth ... For now, I'm very disappointed about this drone. I don't know what to think and what to do with it... Just won't fly it until a firmware update come and resolve some of these problematics behaviors

Everything else said about DJI Fly is so true. [Language Removed by ADMIN] apps. Bring back DJI GO4
Make this so "called phenomenal drone" just fly right and not weird
Make the so expansive smart controller based on android [Language Removed by ADMIN] work as expected and not buggy laggy and freezing so close (around 400m)...with no glitches and red bars and so on ...
Make this product worth its price finally

For now, I'll still be flying my old reliable M2P and let the M3 sleep in the dark, until things evolves in the good direction making this drone usable ... For now NOT A PRO DRONE .... What a waste of money !!!

Really not satisfied for now.
[Language Removed by ADMIN] product
Unfinished product

Last edited by a moderator:
I’m a retired press photographer. I’ve been flying DJI for the past 10 years, from self builds using the Wookong M flight controller, the Phantom’s, the Inspire and now the Mavics.

I am now 78 but the passion is still there! I ordered the M3 on the DJI website and then cancelled the order 48 hours later on seeing the full specs. I have to agree with all the previous comments, it’s just a toy without Waypoints, Course Lock and a proper Tripod mode.

Interesting Thread. As a professional filmmaker flying all kind of DJI drones for more than eight years, I had high hopes in the Mavic 3 as the successor for the amazing Mavic 2 Pro. But I'm kind of disappointed, and I really don't understand what DJI was thinking, especially regarding the image quality.

Let's ignore the fact, that as an EU-Citizen I have to be an incredibly optimistic enthusiast to buy an unclassified drone without a secured assurance of a reclassification or postponement of regulation deadlines.

Let's also neglect that with the Mavic 3 you lose a lot of functionality and ergonomics compared to its predecessor, some of them even permanently. The Fly app does not offer many functions of the GO 4 App, waypoints are not even provided according to DJI.
The standard RC lacks a few buttons, in addition to the display. There is no 2nd function button, no 5-way joystick , no more aperture wheel. And no, the RC Pro is not an alternative for all of us, including me.
Let's also ignore the fact that this time DJI is quite cheeky letting the Mavic 3 mature for months at the customer, as cardinal functions are not submitted until the end of January.

Never mind, let's just focus on the actual core competence of the Mavic 3, the image quality.

It's positive that the low-light sensitivity is slightly improved compared to the Mavic 2 Pro, due to the larger sensor with almost the same number of pixels.

However, like its predecessor, this drone only makes sense if you record with 10 bit color depth, which is only possible with D-Log, like with the Mavic 2 Pro. You also don't benefit from any higher dynamic range from the sensor in the normal profile. The dynamic range in normal profile is simply limited by the Rec709 standard.
In short, if you only want to film in the normal profile without the need for post-processing, you could also film with an Air 2S or a Mavic 2 Pro, because the Mavic 3 offers no advantages in this regard, and it basically cannot, since the possible dynamics of the sensor cannot be exploited in Rec709.

The problem is that D-Log has been implemented in a very, very peculiar way, and I very much doubt that Hasselblad had a hand in the D-Log implementation.

By compressing the linear luminance values using a log gamma curve, more space should be created in log profiles for very light and very dark values that can no longer be mapped in Rec709.
The D-Log of the Mavic 3 compresses the luminance values not only much too exaggerated for the possible dynamics of 12.8 f-stops, but also doesn't offer more space. In the normal profile (Rec.709) clipping happens at 100 IRE, but in this version of D-LOG the room to 100 IRE is unused, clipping just takes place "earlier", at around 85 IRE. Everything above is not used to capture the lighter areas, but is simply cut off.

Try it out for yourself, film something with clipped highlights and deep shadows, or download this D-Log Sample from The Verge: D-Log ProRes - Google Drive

Long story short: Where the D-Log-M for the Mavic 2 Pro was well tuned for its sensor, the D-Log of the Mavic 3 isn't.
And besides that, from what I have seen from original footage so far, the dynamic range isn't that much higher, if at all.

Now you could say, well, then only film in the normal profile for the time being, even loosing 10 bit and maximum dynamic range. However, the sharpening of the Mavic 3 in normal profile is again extreme, see for example lots of flickering in details in films on YouTube, especially on larger displays. And there are no settings for that in the Fly app.

It is positive that DJI can revise some of the D-Log issues via software, as they did with the Phantom 4 Pro (after a while). We will see, if they do.
But until then, the Mavic 3 is of no use for me as a professional filmmaker at all because at this stage it would be a clear step backwards to the Mavic 2 Pro, with the exception of filming at night or in late twilight, which are rare in my case, so I willl rent a drone for this kind of shots, like I do today.
Not to mention all the circumstances described above and the lack of support from the SDK and therefore from third-party apps like Dronelink in the foreseeable future...

Last edited:
@Skyscope
Thank you for you addition.
It highlights all the good things, that could have been but are implemented in mostly odd ways.
I still wonder about so many reviews not even scratching a thing of these very important backsides we did not face with its predecessors.

@Skyscope
Great and detailed post. I think you have captured the general consensus of disappointment and then gone way deeper with your observations and thoughts on D-Log.

@globetrotterdrone
Its surely a matter of time before all these issues start appearing on yt videos. Until then thank goodness for the forums!

Reactions: Skyscope
I think we will see what filmmakers have to say, when the dust of the influencers has settled.

Philip Bloom for example is always a reference for me because of his deep and in particular honest reviews. He released Part 1 of his review yesterday and is obviously not very excited, see my comment and his answer below.

More on D-Log and image quality compared to other drones will be in Part 2, which he will release end of the month.

Bildschirmfoto 2021-11-23 um 09.25.29.jpg

I think we will see what filmmakers have to say, when the dust of the influencers has settled.

Philip Bloom for example is always a reference for me because of his deep and in particular honest reviews. He released Part 1 of his review yesterday and is obviously not very excited, see my comment and his answer below.

More on D-Log and image quality compared to other drones will be in Part 2, which he will release end of the month.

View attachment 138910
If able, could you please add the link to YouTube.

** edited **
found it…

I’m a retired press photographer. I’ve been flying DJI for the past 10 years, from self builds using the Wookong M flight controller, the Phantom’s, the Inspire and now the Mavics.

I am now 78 but the passion is still there! I ordered the M3 on the DJI website and then cancelled the order 48 hours later on seeing the full specs. I have to agree with all the previous comments, it’s just a toy without Waypoints, Course Lock and a proper Tripod mode.
there should be no rush in buying the Mavic 3 so I believe you made the right move. I am an expert Mavic 2 Pro pilot as I have many thousands of flying low above the ocean with zero crashes except for being reeled in once by a fisherman. a girl though! she hooked my drone by accident.

Reactions: blusnapper
It's nice to see an award winning pro provide some really nice insightful questions regarding this drone. I don't put too much weight into many of the YouTubers who go gaga over anything new DJI produces.
Thanks, yes there are only a couple I would generally listen to

View attachment 138910
Personally I much prefer HLG, but I'm in the minority. Apparently HLG is on the update list for January

Sure,
Personally I much prefer HLG
Sure, as you like, but HLG doesn't have that much lattitude, and you have to nail the exposure because of it's mixed gamma curves. Neither fish nor meat, HLG has linear gamma up to 70 IRE, and above of 70 IRE log gamma. So it's not easy to grade, especially several shots without consistant exposure.
As a delivery format, HLG is not designed for grading or exeptional color correction, especially with several shots without consistent exposure.

Without RAW, LOG is always the largest common dominator and preferable for aquisition, because you can easily export HLG out of LOG, not vice versa. But if you are careful when shooting and don't want to color correct much, it could be an option.

Last edited:
Reactions: christangey
I shoot and grade only in HLG since the Mavic 2 came out and find it easy to grade. It also gives me the bonus of being able to provide broadcasters and other clients with a native HDR file. Check out my vimeo showcase if you like, ALL shot and graded in HLG Aerial Cinematographer-Chris Tangey on Vimeo

I was looking forward to this release for a long time and was very anxious to buy, but no optical zoom and no SC1 compatibility are reasons I will stick with pro2 and pro zoom combo for now.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
InspectorTom