DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

My first film entirely shot on M3

Hey Chris

I think I like the 2nd edit better, there is just something about that widescreen look! Also seems to flow together more smoothly.

That shot with the birds flying through the sun has a real life of it's own.

You are actually inspiring me your work is really like a slowly moving collection of high quality stills with that extra dimension added. It is quite cool not just seeing the static view but also not have it change so rapidly either... you have me thinking!

We probably don't appreciate it but something like what you have created even though only 4 mins in length will be hugely longer to put together. What do you reckon your total, planning, travel, shooting, editing time would roughly be on that?

There were a few having issues with sharpness on the M3 in the early days, how do you find it? Your video looks great but being a stills guy I really need to be stellar for stills, especially for the price.

Awesome work!

Cheers

Bussty
Yes I still haven't gone through all the corella stuff but I was spellbound by them on the day. The interesting thing is they hang around that spot all year round, I could go back there tomorrow to shoot them. Yes stills and film are two different brain spaces which is why I hate it when a client says they want me to to shoot both "side-by-side". You'll work out video but you should have at least 2 interesting elements or moves in each shot, preferably three. Reveals are often a good move, but just plain going forward is how we relate to flight anyway. Your question is a bit "how long is a piece of string?" as all my films are different, this one for instance has some of my previous M3 stock footage in it but was shot in 3 states and the Northern Territory so travel distances alone would be over 10,000km some of it flying some of it driving. No sharpness issues for me and they are often corrected in post if need be, but only subtly.

Yes I still haven't gone through all the corella stuff but I was spellbound by them on the day. The interesting thing is they hang around that spot all year round, I could go back there tomorrow to shoot them. Yes stills and film are two different brain spaces which is why I hate it when a client says they want me to to shoot both "side-by-side". You'll work out video but you should have at least 2 interesting elements or moves in each shot, preferably three. Reveals are often a good move, but just plain going forward is how we relate to flight anyway. Your question is a bit "how long is a piece of string?" as all my films are different, this one for instance has some of my previous M3 stock footage in it but was shot in 3 states and the Northern Territory so travel distances alone would be over 10,000km some of it flying some of it driving. No sharpness issues for me and they are often corrected in post if need be, but only subtly.
Nice! Cheers Chris. Interesting thoughts on "moving forward" very powerful imagery when done slowly but I'm guessing the higher you are the faster you have to go! Great to hear you are happy with that lens. With all the rumours of a 1" Tele in the next incarnation I just have to wait now. Thanks again

Reactions: christangey
The orange warning zones are ok to fly though, so don't sweat them.
Read the info screen when pointer is positioned in the app yellow zones, it will say (or words to the effect) "Uncontrolled airport / helipad, land if you become aware of manned aircraft operating nearby".
Sometimes there can be a lower altitude restriction too, but normally not.
Thanks, someone in another thread noted that attitudes towards drones may differ between states, such as Queensland vs. Victoria and those attitudes may be reflected in policies or enforcement.

I use Open Sky but as I operate mainly in the outback these kind of apps can be useless without a signal. We have to go even further than CASA rules back home. For example if I visit a cattle station I always check whether they have any heli-mustering going on as the little R22s can be operating just a few feet above the ground! Best tip is go by CASA rules, it's pretty straightforward.
Helicopters used to herd the cattle in certain directions?

Wow, Googled it and found this video:

Also references to companies providing the services for hire.

I don't anticipate going into lands with wild buffalo but good to know of something which appears uniquely Australian.

Thanks, someone in another thread noted that attitudes towards drones may differ between states, such as Queensland vs. Victoria and those attitudes may be reflected in policies or enforcement.
yeah but there are usually two separate issues, in the air we go by CASA rules. On the ground it usually just applies to where you are taking off from and landing. So "ground" authorities are all about who owns/controls the land. In those cases Councils, Park Rangers etc. can enforce their own laws but not in the air. Purely air enforcement is managed by CASA personnel or (rarely) their delegates State/territory police.

Helicopters used to herd the cattle in certain directions?

Wow, Googled it and found this video:

Also references to companies providing the services for hire.

I don't anticipate going into lands with wild buffalo but good to know of something which appears uniquely Australian.
Except there is one thing even more uniquely Australian, camel mustering!

That is just stunning and really shows off both the drone's abilities and your talents. This is just beautiful. Amazing work!!!

That is just stunning and really shows off both the drone's abilities and your talents. This is just beautiful. Amazing work!!!
Thanks a lot Tony, I look forward to entering your AZ Dronefest over there again this year

Reactions: TonyPHX
Thanks a lot Tony, I look forward to entering your AZ Dronefest over there again this year
Your work would have my vote! I went to AZ dronefest last time, but left after lunch time. I should have stuck around for the video awards, but just had too much going on.

Your work would have my vote! I went to AZ dronefest last time, but left after lunch time. I should have stuck around for the video awards, but just had too much going on.
Maybe you can bring my 2021 landscape award over here one day! I know they had trouble posting it to Australia during covid but I'm still patiently awaiting it 6 months later! 🏆

That's crazy! Well in all seriousness, I'm local here, if I can help, PM me.
Should be OK Tony, Chris the Festival Director seems like a nice guy, I'll try one more email

Cool. And I would be remiss if I did not say- Congratulations!!
Thanks Tony, I think AZ Dronefest is one of the more professional events in the drone world

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gfusato