DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic 2 and DJI Goggles RE flight range issue

DJI DelBoy

Reactions
Hi all, after having trawled the net it appears that there is a confirmed issue with the Mavic 2/Zoom and DJI Goggles RE. Those of you who own this combo will have noticed that the signal on both the remote and Goggles cuts out way before 50% range that the Mavic 2 is capable of.

Without the Goggles it works fine but what’s the point of such an investment that doesn’t work properly? I’ve tried the 1st Mavic with the original Goggles and it never had any range issues.

At the end of the day I’m hoping it’s just a software issue but both devices have been out for some time and I don’t see any fix in sight.

Why doesn’t bloody DJI have a rep on this forum to address these issues? And does anyone know of a definitive fix for the range issue or whether there’s any update on the horizon?

Sad to say that its seeming pretty hopeless at this point. At first we were getting at least the standard copy/paste, "sorry for your incovenance, Ill send report to our engineers", but that was around when the combo first came out.

The last 6 months+/- its been all quiet on the DJI front, regarding this issue.

ITS ALMOST LIKE DJI IS PURPOSELY PLAYING IGNORANT IN HOPES IT GOES QUIETLY AWAY?

All the while, many more report this EXACT issue, while a small few report no issue, but the negatively affected far outweigh the unaffected.

Heres a decent article attempting to bring some attention to the issue:

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...BRAB&usg=AOvVaw3c4vnDGmvXitcmm756MTqC&ampcf=1

Heres a poll from that article... Make sure to jump over and vote. I dont think enough folks have seen the poll thats linked in thst article

I bought the Mavic 2 and the DJI Goggles Racing Edition and have: (poll 10219289) | Crowdsignal.com

Sorry its not better news but Im still holding onto a sliver of hope that DJI gives a crap about its reputation and its customers, but maybe too much to ask???

Reactions: DJI DelBoy
Sad to say that its seeming pretty hopeless at this point. At first we were getting at least the standard copy/paste, "sorry for your incovenance, Ill send report to our engineers", but that was around when the combo first came out.

The last 6 months+/- its been all quiet on the DJI front, regarding this issue.

ITS ALMOST LIKE DJI IS PURPOSELY PLAYING IGNORANT IN HOPES IT GOES QUIETLY AWAY?

All the while, many more report this EXACT issue, while a small few report no issue, but the negatively affected far outweigh the unaffected.

Heres a decent article attempting to bring some attention to the issue:

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...BRAB&usg=AOvVaw3c4vnDGmvXitcmm756MTqC&ampcf=1

Heres a poll from that article... Make sure to jump over and vote. I dont think enough folks have seen the poll thats linked in thst article

I bought the Mavic 2 and the DJI Goggles Racing Edition and have: (poll 10219289) | Crowdsignal.com

Sorry its not better news but Im still holding onto a sliver of hope that DJI gives a crap about its reputation and its customers, but maybe too much to ask???
Like I said. Try connecting the pagoda antenna to the goggles.

Like I said. Try connecting the pagoda antenna to the goggles.
Yes thank you for that info. I have heard of it helping some, somewhat and others, none at all. The thing is, the technical specs of the RE's Pagoda antenna, is that its only purpose is for the 5.8Ghz Analog channel used by Quad racers FPV, so whether or not it helps some folks get a few hundred feet further out, its not what Id call a fix to a more in depth product malfunction, but by all means, if it helps you more than that, then you should use it. I still think DJI needs to fix their broken product because 1000ft distance (w/o pagoda), 1300ft (w/ pagoda) is far far from the 8km they advertised.

My RE googles connected within seconds to my Mavic 2 Enterprise Dual with no problems. But the weather hasn't been good enough to try them at distance yet. I'll report as soon as I get a chance to try them.

It’ll work perfectly fine for about 1000-1500 feet away from you. As soon as that distance comes up, it’ll cut out.

I literally just shut the goggles off and I had full signal like there was never a problem. Turned them back on, no signal.

Something is definitely wrong with the signals that’s causing massive interference.

The thing regarding the pagoda antenna is that it appears to work for some people but not for others. I’m going to try it out and hope it works BUT the original Goggles worked fine without any accessories so this is a step back in terms of functionality.

DJI should be ashamed for selling a device that doesn’t work properly and performs worse than the previous generation.

Yes thank you for that info. I have heard of it helping some, somewhat and others, none at all. The thing is, the technical specs of the RE's Pagoda antenna, is that its only purpose is for the 5.8Ghz Analog channel used by Quad racers FPV, so whether or not it helps some folks get a few hundred feet further out, its not what Id call a fix to a more in depth product malfunction, but by all means, if it helps you more than that, then you should use it. I still think DJI needs to fix their broken product because 1000ft distance (w/o pagoda), 1300ft (w/ pagoda) is far far from the 8km they advertised.
You’re complete right about that. If the pagoda only adds an additional 300ft then it’s a bit pointless, especially when you’re not getting anywhere near the 8km capability.

Just for information purposes, my Mavic Pro with the original white Goggles does the same thing, I have the Atlas antenna system but is pointless when using the Goggles at the same time. It's clear the Goggles connect directly to the drone rather than the controller hence the shorter distance.

I've seen people modding the antenna on the white Goggles for better range, maybe this is something to consider with the RE version

Reactions: jzilla80
Cool, I’m going to try it tomorrow morning. Are all your things updated to the latest firmware?
For me, yes. But I haven't flown since January. But when I did fly once with a few drone buddies, and the park ranger, I lost signal at 300m. I was flustered and couldn't figure out what was happening. Though, on a whim, I noted that the Pagoda antenna was meant to receive 5GHz signals which is what the Mavic 2, but not the 1, uses to transmit. So I attached it, and wow, I was able to fly out 3 km without issues.

For me, yes. But I haven't flown since January. But when I did fly once with a few drone buddies, and the park ranger, I lost signal at 300m. I was flustered and couldn't figure out what was happening. Though, on a whim, I noted that the Pagoda antenna was meant to receive 5GHz signals which is what the Mavic 2, but not the 1, uses to transmit. So I attached it, and wow, I was able to fly out 3 km without issues.
Well I take it that it worked?

Hi guys I read on hear one of the threads start rc ac then goggles with pagoda antenna attached go into rc menu HD settings change Dual to 2.4 ghz then custom 20 mhz then back to auto I've managed 5.2 km clear line of site you need to check settings each session .I had same problem being discussed hope this helps .

Reactions: JSKCKNIT
I have the same problem, i'm going to try some of these suggestions. Thanks!

Unless you switch to racing aircraft (analog), the pagoda antenna isn't being used, even if it's screwed in. Also you will never reach max distance in 5.8Ghz range. The Goggles need to be in 2.4Ghz FCC mode to reach max distance.... again negating the pagoda's 5.8Ghz frequency. This is all in the manual.

Aside from this towering issue, I don't understand why the RE Goggles haven't gotten the same functionality they have with the older Mavics. Do we finally get that functionality when the next DJI product is already out? This isn't acceptable.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
O'Ryan