DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic 2 controller & Smart Controller question

GGehret

Reactions
Hello all,
I have a Mavic 2 pro and a smart controller combo. I just purchased a used regular Mavic 2 controller that I would like to use with my drone as a backup controller, AND if I ever need to connect via internet for flight in an area where there is no WIFI signal except thru using my cellphone data. My question is: When I go to link my drone with the regular controller, will I lose the smart controller linkage and have to set that up again, when I return to using my smart controller? THANKS for your input.

I don't have the answer to your remote link question, but you shouldn't need cellular or wifi connection to fly your Mavic at all. You need to be connected to the internet to sign in (first time only) with DJI Go, but after that, you should be good to go without any connectivity.

Or am I misunderstanding that comment? These things wouldn't be so popular if you couldn't go out and fly where there's no connectivity.

chris

I don't have the answer to your remote link question, but you shouldn't need cellular or wifi connection to fly your Mavic at all. You need to be connected to the internet to sign in (first time only) with DJI Go, but after that, you should be good to go without any connectivity.

Or am I misunderstanding that comment? These things wouldn't be so popular if you couldn't go out and fly where there's no connectivity.

chris
Thanks for your input. Well, I'm thinking about the future where, according to the new possible regs coming up after 3 years--unless I'm reading things incorrectly--which is VERY possible ( things like this confuse me sometimes..lol) we might be needing wifi connection when we fly for on-site/real-time remote identification? And since the SC has NO data internet capability--unless I connect it to my phone via a hotspot--I'm thinking having a regular controller to use with my phone when THAT times arrives (if it does) would get my through. Also, I Like having a back-up controller for my bird at a cheaper cost than buying another SC. And, yes, I do know I do not need WIFI to fly --at least right now--that's just about how ANY PLACE I fly around my home is--out in the boonies here in upstate NY. LOL

A backup controller is definitely a good idea.

But the remote ID thing probably wouldn't fly (pardon the pun) if it required internet connectivity.

They can already restrict you with no connection. The controller has the NFZ info / Fly Safe DB loaded and knows your location, etc.

Reactions: GGehret
A backup controller is definitely a good idea.

But the remote ID thing probably wouldn't fly (pardon the pun) if it required internet connectivity.

They can already restrict you with no connection. The controller has the NFZ info / Fly Safe DB loaded and knows your location, etc.
Thanks for your reply. Well, at least I don't live near any NFZ's. :)

Your Smart Controller can connect to the internet outside of a wifi connection by using the cellphone in your pocket as a hot spot. I do this routinely so I can access maps without having to preload them at home over wifi.

Thanks for your input. Well, I'm thinking about the future where, according to the new possible regs coming up after 3 years--unless I'm reading things incorrectly--which is VERY possible ( things like this confuse me sometimes..lol) we might be needing wifi connection when we fly for on-site/real-time remote identification? And since the SC has NO data internet capability--unless I connect it to my phone via a hotspot--I'm thinking having a regular controller to use with my phone when THAT times arrives (if it does) would get my through. Also, I Like having a back-up controller for my bird at a cheaper cost than buying another SC. And, yes, I do know I do not need WIFI to fly --at least right now--that's just about how ANY PLACE I fly around my home is--out in the boonies here in upstate NY. LOL

Interesting discussion.
I am also trying to understand if there may be problems in the future with the SC and the new possible rules on remote identification.
Now I have the classic controller with iPhone X but I was considering whether to take the SC ... but I am a little hesitant also because it seems to me that dji is not giving much importance to the SC, I am referring to the firmware updates that have not been there for a while.
What do you think?

Interesting discussion.
I am also trying to understand if there may be problems in the future with the SC and the new possible rules on remote identification.
Now I have the classic controller with iPhone X but I was considering whether to take the SC ... but I am a little hesitant also because it seems to me that dji is not giving much importance to the SC, I am referring to the firmware updates that have not been there for a while.
What do you think?
My Smart Controller works fine with my Mavic 2 and my iPhone Xs. Android kind of sucks, especially DJI's version implemented for the SC, and I've had DJI GO4 crash fairly often, but otherwise it works fine. I'm not convinced that it's substantially better than a regular Mavic 2 controller and an iPad Mini would be, however. The SC is probably a little brighter, but I generally use DJI RE goggles to fly, so the controller is less important to me.

Interesting discussion.
What do you think?
I haven't flown my M2P drone and SC since October due to the fact that the days have been getting shorter and colder and I do'nt get home from work in daylight, so if there have been SC updates, I wouldn't know since it hasn't been booted up for a few months. I guess I'll see what updates, if any, show up once I use it again this spring. In the meantime, I've been trying to take short flights here and there off my back porch w/ my MM if/when I have time and the temps are 32 degrees or above. :)

I have both and typically fly with the SC most times.. I have the SC as my primary and if I switch I have to link the standard controller, then can use it. The only way I have used both was when training others where I kept the SC as my primary and the standard for training. The SC controls and setup are used and overrides the trainer..

The SC has the ability to link to multiple drones, but I don't believe you can link your quad to multiple controllers unless you are training (if I'm wrong, that would be great but I haven't found a way to do it other than re-linking the other controller and physically pressing the button on the M2P).

What happens with the ID aspect down the road is still being vetted out - when I do need a connection I use my phone as a wifi hotspot for either the SC or with my iPad on the standard. I don't use my phone on my standard as my tablet screen is larger.

Reactions: GGehret
I have both and typically fly with the SC most times.. I have the SC as my primary and if I switch I have to link the standard controller, then can use it. The only way I have used both was when training others where I kept the SC as my primary and the standard for training. The SC controls and setup are used and overrides the trainer..

The SC has the ability to link to multiple drones, but I don't believe you can link your quad to multiple controllers unless you are training (if I'm wrong, that would be great but I haven't found a way to do it other than re-linking the other controller and physically pressing the button on the M2P).

What happens with the ID aspect down the road is still being vetted out - when I do need a connection I use my phone as a wifi hotspot for either the SC or with my iPad on the standard. I don't use my phone on my standard as my tablet screen is larger.
Thanks for the info. One of the things I am wondering is: If I link my M2p to the regular controller and use that to fly one day, for example. When I go to fly again and use my SC instead (which has been linked to the drone since day one) will I have to Re-link the SC again, since the drone was linked to the regular controller the day before. In other words, as I might switch back and further between controllers, will I have to physically re-link each controller every time I go to fly my drone, or will the controller/drone link automatically when both are turned on since they were already linked earlier??

Thanks for the info. One of the things I am wondering is: If I link my M2p to the regular controller and use that to fly one day, for example. When I go to fly again and use my SC instead (which has been linked to the drone since day one) will I have to Re-link the SC again, since the drone was linked to the regular controller the day before. In other words, as I might switch back and further between controllers, will I have to physically re-link each controller every time I go to fly my drone, or will the controller/drone link automatically when both are turned on since they were already linked earlier??
Yes if it is to be the primary flight controller.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
piloter