DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic 2 Fatal Flaw: Broken Camera/Gimbal?

only high heat can break the bond. THEN A KNOCK FROM OFF OF A TABLE know most people will send them back and there probably would be a recall but I would just glue it together and carry on. HAVE FUN TRYING TO CALIBRATE YOUR GIMBAL AND REALISING DJI WILL NOT HONOR WARRANTY DUE TO TAMPERING

Reactions: Midijon
It looks like the joint is pinned and the correct orientation is assured upon re-glue. Glue??? really??? I know that some jets are held together with 'glue'....but any tiny contaminant on either surface (silicone, oil, paint or debris) compromises the joint. I think if you are going to re-glue..you better make VERY sure both surfaces are super clean...and it might not hurt to rough them up slightly after cleaning and before you apply the glue. But really....glue? For $1,450 I would think someone at DJI might have questioned that decision for a very expensive camera.

This came from one of the facebook groups, but a user has already had the camera and gimbal separate. It was flown for less than 2 minutes, yes, TWO, and when it was set on a table they heard a clunk.

Is this something that more users will have issues with?

Interesting that no one spotted a possible issue using polished metal and adhesives. In most applications it would be suggested that both contact surfaces be burnished or scored to enhance the glue’s grip.

Very odd that DJI would miss this considering the technological prowess evidenced in all their other products.

Are you sure that the MA was not also glued?
Well, if you read the response here from DJI, you will see that in fact, YES his Mavic Pro was also glued at the gimbal, so he must be a gimbal accident, just waiting to happen...
DJI Wrote:
"..the industrial glue process used for the Mavic 2 is an established technology and is commonly used in the consumer electronics industry, as well as having been previously used in multiple DJI products (such as the Phantom 3 and for the Mavic Pro’s gimbal)"

Therefore, his fear of buying a Mavic 2 Pro is completely unfounded.

Interesting that no one spotted a possible issue using polished metal and adhesives. In most applications it would be suggested that both contact surfaces be burnished or scored to enhance the glue’s grip.

Very odd that DJI would miss this considering the technological prowess evidenced in all their other products.

That would be very odd. So maybe they didn't miss it.

Reactions: jpbluzharp
Well, if you read the response here from DJI, you will see that in fact, YES his Mavic Pro was also glued at the gimbal, so he must be a gimbal accident, just waiting to happen...
DJI Wrote:
"..the industrial glue process used for the Mavic 2 is an established technology and is commonly used in the consumer electronics industry, as well as having been previously used in multiple DJI products (such as the Phantom 3 and for the Mavic Pro’s gimbal)"

Therefore, his fear of buying a Mavic 2 Pro is completely unfounded.

He was referring to the Mavic Air, not the Pro, but yes - that was exactly my point.

The level of glue engineering knowledge on this thread is impressive. hahahaha :p. If only DJI would have read the back of the tube of Elmers before heading into the production of thousands of units.

It could be fatal to the drone and possibly more if you are flying outside of LOS and your gimbal is hanging lifeless. It might conceivably throw the weight and balance off. Also, the least it could do is make it hard to land with the gimbal suspended below the landing gear.

That the chance you take when out of LOS, and also why your not supposed to do it ...

Reactions: Former Member
This came from one of the facebook groups, but a user has already had the camera and gimbal separate. It was flown for less than 2 minutes, yes, TWO, and when it was set on a table they heard a clunk.

Is this something that more users will have issues with?

Did you notice that the "glue" used to hold the two parts of the gimbal together was only applied to two small areas where the two parts come together. So either there was not enough glue applied or the wrong type of glue was used.

Personally I don't like the fact that DJI is using this questionable method to fasten these two critical parts of the camera together, so yes I would call this a FATAL error in design caused by "built to a price" design philosophy.

Did you notice that the "glue" used to hold the two parts of the gimbal together was only applied to two small areas where the two parts come together. So either there was not enough glue applied or the wrong type of glue was used.

Personally I don't like the fact that DJI is using this questionable method to fasten these two critical parts of the camera together, so yes I would call this a FATAL error in design caused by "built to a price" design philosophy.

They have been using glue on all their models - you just haven't noticed. It's common practice and doesn't usually cause any problems.

Reactions: lolo780
are we even sure that story is true ?

I can't believe the number of people that are questioning the Facebook guys story. This wouldn't be the first time DJI has put something on the market with issues. I would sooner believe someone that paid money out of their pocket than the Mfg.

What would the guy with the broken Mavic have to gain? If DJI is immediately willing to refund or replace the product that indicates to me they are not questioning the possibility their product failed.

Reactions: wytnyt
I can't believe the number of people that are questioning the Facebook guys story. This wouldn't be the first time DJI has put something on the market with issues. I would sooner believe someone that paid money out of their pocket than the Mfg.

What would the guy with the broken Mavic have to gain? If DJI is immediately willing to refund or replace the product that indicates to me they are not questioning the possibility their product failed.

I think it's hilarious that people expect Leica build quality from their DJI drone. I bought my wife an M10 for her 60th birthday - the body and lens set me back $13K... it is built beautifully. If we demand this kind of quality control and manufacturing processes from DJI, expect to pay up - big time. $1,500 for what we have is an outstanding value.

We weren't there and didn't see what happened so we can only speculate like did he bump into a table or any object , or drop out of his hand etc, you asked what would he have to gain 1. If it slammed into something then it would be user error and not covered by the warranty 2. If he has care Refresh then he didn't want to use up one of his Refresh uses so soon and those of us who have or are getting a Mavic 2 don't want to believe it because then it could happened to ours. But I take him at his word unless it is proven otherwise and I don't think it will be because DJI wants these concerns to go away quickly .

This is why I will wait 3-6 months after a new drone release to purchase it because they essentially use us as beta testers.
Also after 3-6 months after it comes out they got the kinks out of it both hardware and software

Reactions: GadgetGuy

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dominicus15