DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic 2 fragile Micro USB side port

I’m new to the Mavic Pro and just learning of this issue. So to be clear, I should stop using the nice little 90deg micro usb to phone cable for flying and find a usb 2 to phone cable (any suggestions on a good one). Since the controller micro USB port is the only way to charge I should get a magnetic cable so I don’t cause excess wear on that port.

You can use the USB 2 to phone cable that came with your phone, or simply buy an additional cable, either OEM or a good quality alternate brand.

You could buy the magnetic cable to reduce wear on the Micro USB port. Plug in the magnetic connector once, and leave it in there. Just connect the magnetic cable whenever you charge.

The port may be a weak point but I’ve never had a problem with the Mavic Pro controller port despite numerous charges. Over 600 flights on that controller. I think the biggest risk is having a regular cord in the port and stressing it by transporting it that way where stresses can happen when you aren’t using the controller

Reactions: 4wd and DynoTech
If there is any life left in this discussion here's my solution to being a little hinky 'bout that magnetic plug in.
I'll use more gaffer's tape or velcro to attach the cable to the clamp arm. From the site:
  • USB 2.0 Data & Charging, including FastCharge at 2 amps!
  • GPS / Traffic Receiver
  • USB OTG or other ID pin applications
BTW I've been real satisfied with the EVOLUTION 3D RC and CrystalSky 5.5 carrier, getting used to the PolarPro sticks, all M2P

Attachments

• 5 inch Micro-B.jpg
    5 inch Micro-B.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 97
  • USB micro fix.jpg
    USB micro fix.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 98
Last edited:
Hey guys... I'm confused with the different names of charger tips and locations best for safe charging. I have a M2 Zoom. Can someone please simplify?
Thank you for any information.

Im glad we dont have to do that. I get dizzy enough calibrating the compass on the drone ;)
As luck would have it while looking through the settings I happened to land on "calibrate compass" for my CrystalSky monitor. And that is what I'd seen before apparently, not the controller. So again with the CS my concern was staples in the shade hood and magnetic cable connected to the RC having a meaningful impact on the CS compass. Whew.............. glad that's off the table....

Attachments

• P1010990.jpg
    P1010990.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 52
  • P1010992.jpg
    P1010992.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 52
As luck would have it while looking through the settings I happened to land on "calibrate compass" for my CrystalSky monitor. And that is what I'd seen before apparently, not the controller. So again with the CS my concern was staples in the shade hood and magnetic cable connected to the RC having a meaningful impact on the CS compass. Whew.............. glad that's off the table....

If you have ANY doubts, I wouldnt try it. Not worth the risk.There are plenty of other options out there.

The staples might have an effect on the CS, but I havent tested that.

Thanks for the OP's and others' recommendations. I've always had a tough time disconnecting the charger's USB cable off the controller. It's tough as hell and I have had to pull it off with more strength than I like to use.

Last edited:
Thanks for the OP's and others' recommendations. I've always had a tough time disconnecting the charger's USB cable off the controller. It's tough as **** and I have had to pull it off with more strength than I like to use.
Have you checked into the magnet gizmos ?

Have you checked into the magnet gizmos ?
I'll look into it locally when I have a chance. I'm open to simply attaching a short micro-micro to avoid having a magnetic attached to my RC.
Even though a few members have tested the RC against interference from magnets, I don't want to give DJI an excuse if anything happens.

and don't bother with the thing-a-ma-jigs, they were updated to gizmos the latter part of last year
Do you mean they upgraded the reliability of the micro USB port on the RC so that it isn't 'fragile'?

I'll look into it locally when I have a chance. I'm open to simply attaching a short micro-micro to avoid having a magnetic attached to my RC.
Even though a few members have tested the RC against interference from magnets, I don't want to give DJI an excuse if anything happens.

Do you mean they upgraded the reliability of the micro USB port on the RC so that it isn't 'fragile'?
Yes Sir. Seems like a great idea.......
Ordering some today

Reactions: Clinton1
The picture below, from wikipedia, shows the potential problem. (I am sure this has been discussed beore but I am new here). The controller has a rare Micro-A connector. It has the same pin layout as the very common Micro-B but without the chamfers. Micro-B male fits inside the Micro-A female (not vice versa) but if someone tries to force it in the wrong way it will probably do damage.

Why the hell would any engineer specify the use the micro type A unless it was free or it was a decision made by the repair staff.

Attachments

• USB_2.0_and_3.0_connectors.png
    USB_2.0_and_3.0_connectors.png
    51.9 KB · Views: 56
Because it is technically an A (host) device. Only for charging does it become a B.
After all the bottom-front port is std-A, so is it A on Phantom RCs.

Because it is technically an A (host) device. Only for charging does it become a B.
After all the bottom-front port is std-A, so is it A on Phantom RCs.
and good ole Autel uses just a straight pin for charging..... DUH

They should have just designed in a USB C. Everything is headed in that direction. It is a dual-role-port that has much better longevity.

Sadly, those Chinese are money making machines and they know dang well that we consumers WILL mess up and That will bring in more $$$ for DJI........
Those cables with the little magnetic ends seem to work great. Also pretty goof proof....... for me at least.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
michalis