DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic 2 Pro 6 mile flight, 64082 ft distance

Waldo Pepper

Reactions
8E096066-D2A4-49C0-AFF8-0EDDB15E5A1A.jpeg 2CA073D7-AA55-40A7-9CE7-4850C3D35D9A.jpeg

Met a good friend this morning, fly our Mavics out on farm land and test our most current firmware update: Didn’t plan flying my Mavic 2 Pro out so far, but first two miles battery strength was looking good and on the fifth mile it looked like it had plenty left to make another mile. So, I went for it and at 31,730 feet (6.009 miles) out turned it around with battery strength at 52%.

What seemed like a long journey back, Mavic 2 Pro finally made it back to launch area with 0% battery left, total flight distance was 64,082 feet round trip. Luckily, have flight recorded on SD but would have preferred to record with Screen Record. Still new with posting video, best I can do at present time is a couple of pictures from DJI flight records.

My friend and I, were smiling ear to ear when my Mavic 2 touched down 5 feet from launch area. Boy that was cutting it close, 0% battery strength as it touched down and those last several hundred feet I was doing everything I could to keep it flying boy it was close.

Total 64,082 feet round trip
As crow flies: 31,730 feet (6.009 miles)
Total flight 23.58

Stock Mavic 2 Pro, amazing piece of equipment.
Paul

Last edited:
Wow, that’s is ballsy...
10km out and back is impressive. And you did it at only 180ft altitude too, were you standing on a tall hill or tower?
I have never got my Mavic Pro original beyond 2 miles away, though I was in the suburbs and it was flying around 400ft altitude.

Looking at the map, probably not too many better places you could've attempted that. Nice open area away from people in case of falling aircraft, plenty of field space for it to make a potential autonomous landing etc.

Good to see the bird can hit and exceed its maximum range, looks like Occusync 2 is doing the job nicely Thumbswayup

Last edited:
DJI publishes the max endurance speed and it is not hover. I wonder what is the speed for max range. Probably faster than max endurance speed.

Can you post flight log? I am curious about the battery % change. I tested my MP1 from 100% to 30%, and it's pretty linear. I wonder if it still linear between 30% to 0%.

View attachment 45986 View attachment 45987

Met a good friend this morning, fly our Mavics out on farm land and test our most current firmware update: Didn’t plan flying my Mavic 2 Pro out so far, but first two miles battery strength was looking good and on the fifth mile it looked like it had plenty left to make another mile. So, I went for it and at 31,730 feet (6.009 miles) out turned it around with battery strength at 52%.

What seemed like a long journey back, Mavic 2 Pro finally made it back to launch area with 0% battery left, total flight distance was 64,082 feet round trip. Luckily, have flight recorded on SD but would have preferred to record with Screen Record. Still new with posting video, best I can do at present time is a couple of pictures from DJI flight records.

My friend and I, were smiling ear to ear when my Mavic 2 touched down 5 feet from launch area. Boy that was cutting it close, 0% battery strength as it touched down and those last several hundred feet I was doing everything I could to keep it flying boy it was close.

Total flight 23.58

Paul
At what average speed were you flying?

That record should hold for awhile!!
Glad you got it back.
That could have turned out differently.

Thank you Areo Mirage,

I’ve flown several 5 mile runs and new it had the potential of hitting 6 miles if conditions were right, today conditions were perfect auctually could have flown another several hundreds of feet had i kept the M2P straight on both directions. Still, was a nice flight.

Thanks again,
Paul

Wow, that’s is ballsy...
10km out and back is impressive. And you did it at only 180ft altitude too, were you standing on a tall hill or tower?
I have never got my Mavic Pro original beyond 2 miles away, though I was in the suburbs and it was flying around 400ft altitude.

Thank you Snowstorm,

The 180 feet altitude was part of today’s flight success, I knew that was the window to avoid interference in that particular area. Any higher or lower I don’t think M2P would have gone the 6 mile distance in that area.

Before the flight, I flew a Bebop 2 with boosters out 2.1 miles. 180 to 190 elevation was perfect, no video lag all clear reception at this elevation. Tried above 200 elevation interference was there, weaker signal and experienced some video lag.

So part of today’s success was finding the right window for clearer reception, it can be less or higher depending on area but today’s it was 180 to 190 elevation at that distance.

Thanks again,
Paul

Reactions: Donnie Frank
Looking at the map, probably not too many better places you could've attempted that. Nice open away away from people in case of falling aircraft, plenty of field space for it to make a potential autonomous landing etc.

Thanks Goof,

Yes indeed plenty of space away from people, even it I had to land it short plenty of areas to land and quick easy access to retrieve the M2P.

Thanks again,
Paul

Good to see the bird can hit and exceed its maximum range, looks like Occusync 2 is doing the job nicely Thumbswayup

You should post this in the range leaderboard.

Hello Ray,

I’l try and post this on the range leader board, im slow with computer stuff but I’ll eventually learn. I’ll do what I can, appreciate the encouragement.

Thank you,
Paul

Can you post flight log? I am curious about the battery % change. I tested my MP1 from 100% to 30%, and it's pretty linear. I wonder if it still linear between 30% to 0%.

Hello Ray,

I’ll try and share what I can and that’s due to my limited skill set with computers, with the battery I was suprised it kept flying but at the end was fighting to keep it airborne. That may be due to it trying to land on its own?

Was all over the air at it’s last several hundreds of feet trying to keep it airborne, was very suprised it made it back.

Thanks!
Paul

I wonder what the long term impacts are to the battery?

Have no idea ParkGt,

But running a battery that low I would imagine it not good, probably shorten its life if it’s ran low continuously.

Take care,
Paul

Last edited:
Wow, that’s is ballsy...

Hello Snowstorm,

I forgot to answer a question of yours, I was flying on ground level no hill or tower. My friend from that area mentioned that particular area has a lot of WiFi interference, luckily my M2P didn’t have issues with the inference. And I use a Trackimo tracker, in case DJI find my drone feature isn’t working.

Take care,
Paul

View attachment 45986 View attachment 45987

Total flight 23.58

Paul

Nice Flight Brother. But I got you beat.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jlhdez