DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic 2 Pro Automatic GPS\Atti Mode Change

addohm

Reactions
So I sent my drone up to take some photos of the family tonight at sunset and for the first time I experienced the drone rapidly changing back and fourth between attitude and GPS mode. I was not expecting it at all, there was always 5-8 GPS satellites and the map seemed fine. Almost instantly as I sent the drone up to only about 10 meters to a hover, I noticed it was responding very strangely to my input, or not responding at all. During this time the drone almost took a dunk into a water fountain. I thought maybe I didn't give it enough time to acquire the GPS signals it needed (I'm usually good about this) so I landed and re-reviewed everything. After I looked at everything and it seemed to check out, I sent it up again. Same behavior. This time, it almost seemed like the drone was making flight decisions on it's own, it nearly steered itself right into a tree and I had a HARD time landing it safely in a 10m square area. At this point I could only assume that there was something wrong with the drone, so I grounded it and started combing through my settings. I did just do a firmware update of both the remote and drone - but everything seemed to be what was expected in the app. What I did notice though was the "low light" warning was flickering, a lot. Once I started paying more attention to that, I started to notice that the Atti\GPS indicator was also flickering. It was fast, but enough to notice it was happening. So at this point I can only suspect that the drone was flipping back and fourth, mid flight, between Atti and GPS mode. It was lightly gusting outside and I have very little experience flying the raw Attitude mode, so I packed it up.

My question is, is there a way to prevent the drone from switching modes mid-flight? Is there a way to hard-set the mode?

5 sats is low, and would explain a drop to ATTI.
I've established that. I'm asking if the drone can be fixed to a specific mode. I really don't think a drop down below some unknown sat link threshold should nearly end my investment twice. I should at least have some control over that threshold or get a more advanced warning before the bird starts making decisions on its own.

Well it can't do miracles, when it's in GPS mode and GPS signal is poor it can do nothing else but to switch out of it, or it would be even worse.

In such a borderline situation you's want to switch to ATTI manually and stay there so it doesn't change back and forth, but unfortunately while a lot of us believe this should be possible like it was on older DJ aircraft since the Mavic they do not give that possibility to the user anymore.

There are "hacks" around to change that but no official possibility from DJI.

So I sent my drone up to take some photos of the family tonight at sunset and for the first time I experienced the drone rapidly changing back and fourth between attitude and GPS mode. I was not expecting it at all, there was always 5-8 GPS satellites and the map seemed fine. Almost instantly as I sent the drone up to only about 10 meters to a hover, I noticed it was responding very strangely to my input, or not responding at all. During this time the drone almost took a dunk into a water fountain. I thought maybe I didn't give it enough time to acquire the GPS signals it needed (I'm usually good about this) so I landed and re-reviewed everything. After I looked at everything and it seemed to check out, I sent it up again. Same behavior. This time, it almost seemed like the drone was making flight decisions on it's own, it nearly steered itself right into a tree and I had a HARD time landing it safely in a 10m square area. At this point I could only assume that there was something wrong with the drone, so I grounded it and started combing through my settings. I did just do a firmware update of both the remote and drone - but everything seemed to be what was expected in the app. What I did notice though was the "low light" warning was flickering, a lot. Once I started paying more attention to that, I started to notice that the Atti\GPS indicator was also flickering. It was fast, but enough to notice it was happening. So at this point I can only suspect that the drone was flipping back and fourth, mid flight, between Atti and GPS mode. It was lightly gusting outside and I have very little experience flying the raw Attitude mode, so I packed it up.

My question is, is there a way to prevent the drone from switching modes mid-flight? Is there a way to hard-set the mode?

Good topic, I just received my Mavic 2 Zoom. I spent a long time trying to put it on GPS mode but I could not figure it out. Even after watching some YouTube videos. All there is, Sport, Tripod and the P position. By reading your incident I gather that these new drones change automatically based on satellite availability?
I had a phantom 3 and it was easier to set up than the Mavic 2 zoom with smart remote.
Any suggestions?

ummm but you do have control, simply don't fly with less than 10 satellites and if you do be ready for it to drop and use atti. Your risk.

Good topic, I just received my Mavic 2 Zoom. I spent a long time trying to put it on GPS mode but I could not figure it out. Even after watching some YouTube videos. All there is, Sport, Tripod and the P position. By reading your incident I gather that these new drones change automatically based on satellite availability?
I had a phantom 3 and it was easier to set up than the Mavic 2 zoom with smart remote.
Any suggestions?
there is no 'GPS' mode. there is, like you saw - T, P, S. tripod, P, Sport modes. Or, switch positions.
say, if you are in the P flight mode position - upon power up, drone goes to ATTI, then switches to OPTI mode - i hope i do not mix up abbreviations. as it aquires sufficient count of sats and HDOP of a correct level - OPTI switches to GPS. we can call it flight mode, or sub-mode, etc.
the deal is - there is no way to enforce the OPTI alone bypassing subsequent engagement of GPS. If you enforce ATTI - then it would work.

Reactions: Louthetrainer
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ashtar