DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic 2 Pro + Davinci Resolve + Capture One

Andrejs

Reactions
Anybody have problem with displaying Mavic 2 Pro 10bit D-Log footage in Davinci Resolve?
It shows Media Offline =(
Also stills not posible to import in Capture One =(

Well, seems Resolve supports H.265 only in paid version =(

Yup, Resolve (at least free) doesn't do H.265 at this point.

EDIT: Can confirm paid does. Works very smoothly too.

Last edited:
Reactions: Andrejs
Paid version works great and is WELL WORTH THE MONEY!
I performed a number of video tests with my M2P and found for me the absolute best quality UHD video is when recording mode set to HQ and HLG with H265 of course. Style set to 2-1-1 (pushing past the internal noise reduction algorithms - they tend to create water color effects when set to 0 or below in this first version the codec. The sensor is very good and very low noise to start with, so boosting the sharpness, contrast (just a little) and color (just a little) produces really good results with incredible clean details). Recording in HLG essentially allows one to grade the video in HDR mode extracting the maximum dynamic range in Resolve and then let resolve produce the non HDR output.

My current Resolve project settings are:
UHD 2160p at 29.97 fps
Enable HDR metadata over HDMI
Frame interpolation (used for tracker and noise reduction in this case) set to "nearest, Enhanced Better, and larger")
Color management set to: Davinci YRGB Color Managed.
Set "input color space" to Rec2020 HLG ARIB STD-B67
Set "timeline color space" to (the same)
Set "output color space" to (the same)
Set HDR mastering to 1000 nits

The rest is pretty much left at defaults.
I created a LUT that I use for basic grade and the fine-tune it as needed.
I push the "Mid-tone detail" to 40 (+40) and push the saturation to 60 (+10)

I do add an initial noise reduction node where I set the temporal noise reduction to 5, better, small and 50 with motion to 100.
I also add a final node using the "Soften & Sharpen" FX setting the small texture to 1 (max) and the remaining medium and large to 0 (no change). This FX does an amazing job in with this setting offsets the very small amount of softening that results from the temporal noise reduction.

I render the project using mp4 (standard 8-bit) set at best, maximum 150Mb/sec. Viewed on an LG 4K/UHD OLED TV - absolutely stunning!

Could you post a small sample of a video produced with these settings?

I will give until tomorrow my uplink is crappy. I will post a YouTube link when it is there.

Reactions: wcsilva
I performed a number of video tests with my M2P and found for me the absolute best quality UHD video is when recording mode set to HQ and HLG with H265 of course. Style set to 2-1-1 (pushing past the internal noise reduction algorithms - they tend to create water color effects when set to 0 or below in this first version the codec. The sensor is very good and very low noise to start with, so boosting the sharpness, contrast (just a little) and color (just a little) produces really good results with incredible clean details). Recording in HLG essentially allows one to grade the video in HDR mode extracting the maximum dynamic range in Resolve and then let resolve produce the non HDR output.

UHD 2160p at 29.97 fps
Frame interpolation (used for tracker and noise reduction in this case) set to "nearest, Enhanced Better, and larger")

I do add an initial noise reduction node where I set the temporal noise reduction to 5, better, small and 50 with motion to 100.
I also add a final node using the "Soften & Sharpen" FX setting the small texture to 1 (max) and the remaining medium and large to 0 (no change). This FX does an amazing job in with this setting offsets the very small amount of softening that results from the temporal noise reduction.

I render the project using mp4 (standard 8-bit) set at best, maximum 150Mb/sec. Viewed on an LG 4K/UHD OLED TV - absolutely stunning!

Thank you for that info. I will try your settings ;)

Reactions: darkneo
Well, seems Resolve supports H.265 only in paid version =(

Has this been confirmed? I have the free version and what I notice is that I can upload my DLOG-M H.265 10 bit files, but they all end up rendering at 8 bit and H.264. At my novice level, I'm either not able to select the correct options - or there's a limit in what the free version can do.
I'm questioning it because in other threads it's mentioned that the free version does have the functionality to process the 10 bit files.

Last edited:
yes in free version it is not possible to work with DLOG-M 10 bit. Need to get paid version 300$ =)

Reactions: mreloc
The paid version supports importing and editing HEVC H265-10 bit but not rendering. Rendering 10-bit 4-2-2 or 4-4-4 content must be done by using the Quicktime container format with DnxHR. It supports all types of media as a primarily intermediate (very high bit-rate low loss) format.

UHD 2160p at 29.97 fps

Whats the point of going through all that and exporting it in 8-bit, not 10-bit? 10-bit is needed for proper HDR isn't it? :)

UHD 2160p at 29.97 fps

For those that have been waiting to see some M2P footage, check out my YouTube channel: Roamer105: Roamer105
There are some new videos (will be more coming) taken with the Mavic 2 Pro in HQ (Dlog-M, HLG and Normal modes).

For those that have been waiting to see some M2P footage, check out my YouTube channel: Roamer105: Roamer105
There are some new videos (will be more coming) taken with the Mavic 2 Pro in HQ (Dlog-M, HLG and Normal modes).

Oh btw... YouTube takes a long time before offering higher resolutions. Please be patient and check back back after some time if you don’t get at least 1080p. All these videos have been uploaded in UHD (4K).

The paid version supports importing and editing HEVC H265-10 bit but not rendering. Rendering 10-bit 4-2-2 or 4-4-4 content must be done by using the Quicktime container format with DnxHR. It supports all types of media as a primarily intermediate (very high bit-rate low loss) format.
So even with the paid version of Davinci you have to render the edited video with a different program or APP.?

I managed to import DLog 10bit H265 into free DR on Windows 10. I had to upgrade to the free version 15. Struggled when wrapped as a MOV, worked fine as MP4.

Can't export though in free.

I have the non-paid version of Resolve, and it works with H.265. I was just using it late yesterday to verify DLog-M is 10 bit H.265 for both HQ and FOV, and to look at Resolve's built in LUTs for M2P files.

I use the free version downloaded from the Apple Store, don't know if this makes a difference. Also my newer MacBook runs H.265 natively, and I don't know if that matters. Finally I run the Black Magic eGPU with this Mac; this doesn't affect whether or not it runs H.265, but Resolve runs 4K smoothly with this eGPU, and is very choppy without it.

Reactions: Jengel84
Have PC and free version Resolve 15. Works well in 265 codec too. Ver 14 Resolve did not work with 265. Tested. Will check the 265 export asap.

Reactions: percolated

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Philip Chura