DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic 2 Pro + Davinci Resolve + Capture One

Paid version works great and is WELL WORTH THE MONEY!
I performed a number of video tests with my M2P and found for me the absolute best quality UHD video is when recording mode set to HQ and HLG with H265 of course. Style set to 2-1-1 (pushing past the internal noise reduction algorithms - they tend to create water color effects when set to 0 or below in this first version the codec. The sensor is very good and very low noise to start with, so boosting the sharpness, contrast (just a little) and color (just a little) produces really good results with incredible clean details). Recording in HLG essentially allows one to grade the video in HDR mode extracting the maximum dynamic range in Resolve and then let resolve produce the non HDR output.

My current Resolve project settings are:
UHD 2160p at 29.97 fps
Enable HDR metadata over HDMI
Frame interpolation (used for tracker and noise reduction in this case) set to "nearest, Enhanced Better, and larger")
Color management set to: Davinci YRGB Color Managed.
Set "input color space" to Rec2020 HLG ARIB STD-B67
Set "timeline color space" to (the same)
Set "output color space" to (the same)
Set HDR mastering to 1000 nits

The rest is pretty much left at defaults.
I created a LUT that I use for basic grade and the fine-tune it as needed.
I push the "Mid-tone detail" to 40 (+40) and push the saturation to 60 (+10)

I do add an initial noise reduction node where I set the temporal noise reduction to 5, better, small and 50 with motion to 100.
I also add a final node using the "Soften & Sharpen" FX setting the small texture to 1 (max) and the remaining medium and large to 0 (no change). This FX does an amazing job in with this setting offsets the very small amount of softening that results from the temporal noise reduction.

I render the project using mp4 (standard 8-bit) set at best, maximum 150Mb/sec. Viewed on an LG 4K/UHD OLED TV - absolutely stunning!
Just excellent info, thanks a million.

Free version of DaVinchi Resolve 15 on PC, WIN 10 Pro - read and import work just fine, but - you can export only H.264.

Have they jsut released an update? Becasue it definitely didn't work 2 weeks ago. 10bit H265 clips would "import" but no image.

I downloaded few day ago and it is work. I do not make any additional settings - just install and put clip /D-log, .MP4 / in to media pool, then edit and apply LUT. For export have no choice - H.264

So why not rec709 if that’s what you’re delivering to eventually?

Edit: also I should add... super post. Very helpful. Thank you.

Last edited:
So why not rec709 if that’s what your delivering to eventually?

If you are recording in Dlog-M then use the default (not managed) settings which are Rec709 Gamma 2.2. That is what typical TV are set to on display and it matches the Dlog color space. All you need to do is apply grading (maybe a LUT) to correct for the compression gamma curve. “Ground Control” provides a free LUT designed for a Dlog-M footage. It does a really nice job. All you need after that is adjust gain and floor, fix barrel distortion and play with filters (soften/sharpen and temporal noise reduction).

Reactions: VectorTwin
If you are recording in Dlog-M then use the default (not managed) settings which are Rec709 Gamma 2.2. That is what typical TV are set to on display and it matches the Dlog color space. All you need to do is apply grading (maybe a LUT) to correct for the compression gamma curve. “Ground Control” provides a free LUT designed for a Dlog-M footage. It does a really nice job. All you need after that is adjust gain and floor, fix barrel distortion and play with filters (soften/sharpen and temporal noise reduction).
Oh, I’ve been using Resolve for a long time. I wouldn’t consider myself an expert by any means, but I do use resolves managed color, etc. I always monitor in the delivery colorspace though. I was just wondering why you set your timeline and output to rec2020 if you are viewing on a rec709 display (the LG).

Are you using the automatic lens correction (Studio only feature) or the "Lens Distort" effect in the Fusion tab to fix the barrel distortion? I'd like to learn Resolve, but I'm not prepared yet to take the 400AUD+ plunge for the studio version yet...

I just recently upgraded to the paid version and it is really great. So glad I did. The lens corrections don't work in the free version (even in Resolv 15) and I now have 2 graphics cards in my system and the paid version lets me control which is used for what. I would never have done it back when it was $1000 but I clearly get $300 benefit from that software.

Have PC and free version Resolve 15. Works well in 265 codec too. Ver 14 Resolve did not work with 265. Tested. Will check the 265 export asap.
I don't think you'll be able to get 265 10bit export from a PC version... at least I wasn't able to figure it out.

Paid version works great and is WELL WORTH THE MONEY!
I performed a number of video tests with my M2P and found for me the absolute best quality UHD video is when recording mode set to HQ and HLG with H265 of course. Style set to 2-1-1 (pushing past the internal noise reduction algorithms - they tend to create water color effects when set to 0 or below in this first version the codec. The sensor is very good and very low noise to start with, so boosting the sharpness, contrast (just a little) and color (just a little) produces really good results with incredible clean details). Recording in HLG essentially allows one to grade the video in HDR mode extracting the maximum dynamic range in Resolve and then let resolve produce the non HDR output.

My current Resolve project settings are:
UHD 2160p at 29.97 fps
Enable HDR metadata over HDMI
Frame interpolation (used for tracker and noise reduction in this case) set to "nearest, Enhanced Better, and larger")
Color management set to: Davinci YRGB Color Managed.
Set "input color space" to Rec2020 HLG ARIB STD-B67
Set HDR mastering to 1000 nits

The rest is pretty much left at defaults.
I created a LUT that I use for basic grade and the fine-tune it as needed.
I push the "Mid-tone detail" to 40 (+40) and push the saturation to 60 (+10)

I do add an initial noise reduction node where I set the temporal noise reduction to 5, better, small and 50 with motion to 100.
I also add a final node using the "Soften & Sharpen" FX setting the small texture to 1 (max) and the remaining medium and large to 0 (no change). This FX does an amazing job in with this setting offsets the very small amount of softening that results from the temporal noise reduction.

I render the project using mp4 (standard 8-bit) set at best, maximum 150Mb/sec. Viewed on an LG 4K/UHD OLED TV - absolutely stunning!

Have watched your movie on youtube. They are incredibly beautiful.

Last edited:
Reactions: Roamer105
Hi

I just downloaded the free version from Black Magic website today, and I am not able to import H625 files. (Windows 10).
Any idea why this is not working? My fotage is not Dlog, only normal h625 avi files.

I have noticed this as well. I do not have the M2P (yet), but in preparation I was checking to see if my free version of Resolve 15 on Windows 10 would process the H.265 files. I don't have the links handy, but I downloaded off http://www.jell.yfish.us/http://www.jell.yfish.us/ some "generic" H.265 files of different sizes (shots of jellyfish) that would not import. (The jellyfish clips are packaged as .mkv files, which the free version does not recognize (I don't know about the paid version). So I used VLC or VidCoder (I forget which) to convert the .mkv files to HEVC 10 bit mp4 files (as confirmed by MediaInfo), which the free version recognized, but would only put the audio, not the video, on the timeline.) On the other hand, an M2P owner posted links to some raw M2P Dlog-M clips (https://www.tomstechtime.com/mavicpro2), and those imported just fine into the timeline for me. I could edit and deliver those clips just fine in the free version but, as others have mentioned, the free version does not allow you to deliver H.265 as an output format, but you can deliver the edited clip using the available preset formats. I deliver using the mp4 delivery format, which is 8-bit H.264. Apparently the paid version allows you to deliver in H.265.

The other limitation of the free version of Resolve is that it does not support the paid version's lens distortion feature to correct the M2P's Dlog-M barrel distortion, though in both the free and paid versions you can play with lens distortion in Fusion:

Correcting the Dlog-M barrel distortion in Resolve 15:
* Using Lens Correction (paid version) 0.145(?)
* Using Fusion (paid and free versions):
* Select clip
* Go to Fusion
* Effects Library/Tools/Warp/Lens Distortion
* In inspector/Lens Distortion Model:
* Distortion = 0.079 (?)
* Quartic Distortion = 0.04 (?)

I noticed that the Fusion correction method significantly degraded the image quality.

Hi

I just downloaded the free version from Black Magic website today, and I am not able to import H625 files. (Windows 10).
Any idea why this is not working? My fotage is not Dlog, only normal h625 avi files.
Will the files play with the standard Windows media player? I had to download the HEVC driver from Windows store to get media player to recognise the files and then it worked in resolve.

Reactions: Kilrah
Hey folks,

and warm greetings from Berlin, Germany.
I just found your thread on the web and feel completely right here, as those are the three things I use - Mavic 2 Pro, Resolve 15 and CaptureOne 10.
Thanks to @Roamer105 for the Guide to grading HLG footage and thanks to all the others for the discussion around HDR grading.

As the question regarding the readability of H.265 D-Log and HLG footage in DaVinci Resolve 15 appeared several times, maybe I can can contribute by confirming that with the latest version 15.1.2 Blackmagic added support for H.265 based footage to Resolve 15 Free Version.

In a few days I will also go for the studio version as it is one of the two programs (the other is Premiere Pro CC for a reasonable 360 $ per year!!!) you can use for generating H.265 based HDR movies that can play on YouTube. And I believe this is the future.
I'm really happy with the DJI Mavic 2 Pro as it is on the edge of prosumer recording tech gear. And I can't wait to make my first HDR movie

In concluding my first post I would like to ask you for your best settings for recording D-Log and HLG footage with the mavic 2 as I've seen truely great results at @Roamer105 Youtube channel.

Greetings to all pilots.
Looking forward to your posts and comments.

Hey folks,

and warm greetings from Berlin, Germany.
I just found your thread on the web and feel completely right here, as those are the three things I use - Mavic 2 Pro, Resolve 15 and CaptureOne 10.
Thanks to @Roamer105 for the Guide to grading HLG footage and thanks to all the others for the discussion around HDR grading.

As the question regarding the readability of H.265 D-Log and HLG footage in DaVinci Resolve 15 appeared several times, maybe I can can contribute by confirming that with the latest version 15.1.2 Blackmagic added support for H.265 based footage to Resolve 15 Free Version.

In a few days I will also go for the studio version as it is one of the two programs (the other is Premiere Pro CC for a reasonable 360 $ per year!!!) you can use for generating H.265 based HDR movies that can play on YouTube. And I believe this is the future.
I'm really happy with the DJI Mavic 2 Pro as it is on the edge of prosumer recording tech gear. And I can't wait to make my first HDR movie

In concluding my first post I would like to ask you for your best settings for recording D-Log and HLG footage with the mavic 2 as I've seen truely great results at @Roamer105 Youtube channel.

Greetings to all pilots.
Looking forward to your posts and comments.

Go for the studio version. Money really well spent! The new 15.2 upgrade supports H265 10-bit ENCODING via NVIDIA (I suppose you need an NVIDIA card in your PC - which I have and it works great!). GOOD BYE Premiere and media encoder - no added value, but excessively expensive since you can't actually buy it and keep paying a lot of subscription money! Black Magic Resolve Studio 15.2 has completely outdone Adobe Premiere for a lot less money. Frankly I don't know how much longer the $299 price will hold given their clear competitive advantage.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada