DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic 2 Pro fly away upon pressing return home button.

Reactions
My Mavic 2 pro was returning and a police officer approached me and wanted me to move my car.I pressed the return home button and it came close, but then disconnected and drifted away. I lost all contact with It and I can not seem to locate it using the "find My drone" function on my controller. I have a smart controller.
doesn't it have a honing device in it so that I can find it? Why did it disconnect? It is dark out and late, so I will go out in the morning, but I really could use some insight!!!!
Thanks!!!

Welcome to the forum, fist post is not a good one, but . . .

Go to section 3, do that and post a report up from phantomhelp site.

That will (most likely) give people here the info needed to assist with what happened.

Reactions: Honeybush Swami
My Mavic 2 pro was returning and a police officer approached me and wanted me to move my car.I pressed the return home button and it came close, but then disconnected and drifted away. I lost all contact with It and I can not seem to locate it using the "find My drone" function on my controller. I have a smart controller.
doesn't it have a honing device in it so that I can find it? Why did it disconnect? It is dark out and late, so I will go out in the morning, but I really could use some insight!!!!
Disconnecting doesn't cause the drone to drift away, it initiates RTH (unless you've changed the Loss of Signal action which almost nobody ever does).
Find my drone can only tell you where the app last recorded the drone.
If it's disconnected and moves away, FMD won't know where.
No .. there's no homing device.
What's needed is your flight data to work out a bit more about what happened.

To the OP.
You might want to check the manual to reacquaint yourself with the loss of signal (failsafe) behaviour. As I remember it is quite complicated and explained why my M2P took a 'long' time to 'reappear' when I lost connection. I can not check myself at the moment as I do not have a pdf reader on this tablet.

Last edited by a moderator:
What do you remember about GPS signal?
If GPS signal is OK, RTH initiated even w/o control and video signal a drone should return home.
You moved your car, first all, check a place where you started to fly (maybe your drone safely returned home and waiting for you there). The second possibility: GPS signal was lost, in that case your should check an area near "last known position", taking into account altitude of your drone, descending speed, direction and speed of wind. Very likely that drone made emergency landing, but was drifted a bit (or not a bit) with a wind.

I have more or less similar accident recently with my drone (not Mavic).
I did succeed to find it (it took 3 days).
1. Check the area of starting point.
2. Check the area of last know location.
3. A lot of perseverance from your side
4. Post here on this forum all data you have, flight log, etc. There are a lot of very nice and very intelligent people, wizards in drone matters (not only flying, but also in interpreting log data)

And good luck.

Last edited:
Thanks!!!
Did your drone have a good GPS signal and SET the "Return to Home" "near" your take-off spot. Seems most new pilots (everyone) simply want to be zooming off into the wild blue yonder before RTH / homepoint is set near your location. Should RTH then initiate - by you or the drone - it will go to where that homepoint is.

Def need to post the logs and then maybe give you an idea of where to look and what happened to the drone. As for the "disconnect," that is a hard one to answer without the logs to verify exactly what happened.

Reactions: GFields
Greetings from Birmingham Alabama, welcome to the forum! Hope you are able to find your drone. Post your flight records for assstance.

If GPS signal is OK, RTH initiated even w/o control and video signal a drone should return home.
You moved your car, first all, check a place where you started to fly (maybe your drone safely returned home and waiting for you there). The second possibility: GPS signal was lost, in that case your should check an area near "last known position", taking into account altitude of your drone, descending speed, direction and speed of wind. Very likely that drone made emergency landing, but was drifted a bit (or not a bit) with a wind.

4. Post here on this forum all data you have, flight log, etc. There are a lot of very nice and very intelligent people, wizards in drone matters (not only flying, but also in interpreting log data)

And good luck.
^^^this- always return to the same place you originally took off from, and also have RTH set to takeoff point and not to the controller unless you plan on moving away from the takeoff point.

My brother made the same mistake out in the desert when we were filming from a moving car. It was set to RTH to the takeoff point and not to the controller. We went about 5 miles and then the drone tried really hard to return back to the takeoff point when the the battery reached the lowest level for a safe auto return, but he was able to override it finally and had it land next to us.

Last edited:
1, What was wrong with where you were parked. 2. You were in return to home mode and what, taken a short time to land. The car needed to be moved that quick?

The only real way to get some pretty accurate location info is to post the logs for some people here to assist.
Before someone finds it and it's history.

Still only the one original post, most likely out looking madly in wrong places, or maybe hopefully had some luck.

The flight log will also show any usual flight behaviour anomalies, so it can be forewarning for anything needing attention for future flights.

Thanks for the responses. I got this back from DJI.

"For your case --------, we have finished the analysis, and the result is as follows:

1. The aircraft worked under GPS mode;
2. Flight Time T=16:19, Relative Height H=69.9 m, Distance to home point D=311.6 m, Auto Landing Triggered by APP;
3. T=16:55, H=-4.3 m, D=244 m, the aircraft crashed into the water when it was descending;
4. Home point: 42.2322254 -71.3504700; Last recorded coordinate:42.2340010 -71.3487293.

According to the analysis, the incident was caused by improper operations. Please fly with caution."

Ok.

I have also attached maps/photos of the last location registered and the home point.
The home point was registered.
I pressed the return to home button about where the last location is registered, in the lake!
But I saw the drone fly off into the woods away from the lake. It was unresponsive to my controller and flew south west into the woods! The Police officer also witnessed it fly off. It was dark and I did not go into the forrest and went to the home point hoping it would return. It did not and it did not go into the lake!!! I SAW IT GO INTO THE WOODS!.
So the last point registered was the point at which I pressed the return home button! It did not go into the lake!

I also tried to find the drone using the "find my drone" app, but it just says the drone is not connected so it can not find it!!!
If it is not connected, how can I track it??? Is there a honing device in it!??? (NO!)

This seems like a case of "fly away" to me and I would like to argue this with DJI.

Any assistance would be helpful!!

I really appreciate this forum and I will become more involved because of all of you that have responded.
Thanks!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-10-24 at 12.07.11 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-10-24 at 12.07.11 PM.png
    90 KB · Views: 9
  • Screen Shot 2021-10-24 at 12.10.22 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-10-24 at 12.10.22 PM.png
    131.1 KB · Views: 8

And good luck.
thanks. I did stay by the home point for 45 minutes after! I posted more info.
thanks

...This seems like a case of "fly away" to me and I would like to argue this with DJI.

In order to help you, the flight log is needed ... as pointed out already in post #2. Without it all you will get are speculations & that will not convince DJI.

Go here & read up on how to retrieve the mobile device TXT log that are stored in your SC (Android based) --> Mavic Flight Log Retrieval and Analysis Guide (read under section 3.) Come then back here & attach it in a new post.

Reactions: MAvic_South_Oz
I'm guessing from the OP that the drone was already in a RTH mode, and by pressing RTH it cancelled that function. If in panic mode you changed the homepoint thinking it would change to your new car location, it would have recorded it's current location as the new homepoint and landed there. As to the "drifting away" I can only guess it somehow got changed to ATT mode? and drifted with the wind? that's just a wild guess.

Hope some of the experts here can read your flight log and give you better advice.

This seems like a case of "fly away" to me and I would like to argue this with DJI.
Back in post #3 I gave you instructions to help post your flight data.
When you do this, you can get a much better explanation of the incident than what DJI has given you.
You'll understand whether the incident was caused by something you did, of a DJI issue,

But without seeing your flight data, those that can read data can't give you the help you need.
Please post your flight data.

Thanks for getting back to us.

We checked the flight record for you again, the pilot triggered the landing not RTH. The flight record ended when the aircraft was landing while flying forward. For the direction for the aircraft, please refer to the attached video.
GWuy8qpb1ythRYjy7EOIHsKoc
3DbWcN9JHggzgyQTno3hyjhwO

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DoubleBarS