DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic 2 Pro Grand Canyon shot

I posted this to see how many people responded with the negative remarks. I must say, some you didn’t fail to let me down. The guys who read my post and didn’t automatically make the assumption that illegal activity was happening can move to the head of the class for being observant to the words. Only a few didn’t rant and get worked up over something that never happened.

The drone was indeed used as “camera” only, I never powered up the motors, and kept the props folded while shooting. My son was the tripod while I composed all the shots. I mention it as unedited because it’s a pic I randomly pulled from my IPad. A Badge of Honor? Really? It ranks as one of the top five worst photos I’ve seen on this site and lord knows after years of viewing, I’ve seen some really bad “edited” pics.

So why not a hand held camera? We were traveling light, carry on luggage only so a drone was more important gear than my DSLR. In this case the ole saying “the best camera you have is the one you have with you” truly applied.
I think jpeg shots with an IPad or IPhone would have been pointless.

BTW...several members here and on the Commercial, and Phantom pages know I can be hard core on folks who break the rules while piloting a UAS.
Gotta love the peanut gallery! Sometimes, saying nothing is just not an option!

Reactions: Torcan
nice picture mate, take no notice of all the bellends who are quick to jum in with negativity which is the majority of this thread give it a rest ffs...

Had to look that one up....it was NOT what I expected!

Reactions: Tony McDrone
I posted this to see how many people responded with the negative remarks. I must say, some you didn’t fail to let me down. The guys who read my post and didn’t automatically make the assumption that illegal activity was happening can move to the head of the class for being observant to the words. Only a few didn’t rant and get worked up over something that never happened.

The drone was indeed used as “camera” only, I never powered up the motors, and kept the props folded while shooting. My son was the tripod while I composed all the shots. I mention it as unedited because it’s a pic I randomly pulled from my IPad. A Badge of Honor? Really? It ranks as one of the top five worst photos I’ve seen on this site and lord knows after years of viewing, I’ve seen some really bad “edited” pics.

So why not a hand held camera? We were traveling light, carry on luggage only so a drone was more important gear than my DSLR. In this case the ole saying “the best camera you have is the one you have with you” truly applied.
I think jpeg shots with an IPad or IPhone would have been pointless.

BTW...several members here and on the Commercial, and Phantom pages know I can be hard core on folks who break the rules while piloting a UAS.
Sooo...this entire post was click-bait for your own amusement and so you can feel superior? Not really any difference between your post and the reaction by some of the Karens.

Reactions: Scubadiver1944
Kinda defeats the purpose of a drone. If hand held I wonder how he controlled it I guess someone else held controller. For all that effort a iPhone or similar device would create the same shot assuming it was hand held.

Just posting this IMO is rather strange as it draws attention to a totally illegal flight unless the drone was hand held and if it was it should have been mentioned in first post.

Paul C
PolarPro market a two handed device called a "Katana" to hold a Mavic steady for handheld photos utilising the drone's camera. Amazon also advertise similar devices, but kudos to the OP for using his son as a tripod!

Reactions: Fred Garvin
PolarPro market a two handed device called a "Katana" to hold a Mavic steady for handheld photos utilising the drone's camera. Amazon also advertise similar devices, but kudos to the OP for using his son as a tripod!

A Katana equipped M2P makes an excellent gimbal stabilized camera system for terrestrial videos. For just around $60 it will do a passable job rather than spending $800+ on a gimbal system for a larger camera. With minimal practice you can turn out moving shots that so far surpass holding your phone it’s amazing. It can capture completely adequate terrestrial clips for Real Estate interiors, exteriors and all sorts of other low production value projects. Properly equipped and operated, the M2P is a perfectly acceptable video camera. (Stills too)

Speaking as one who pointed out it could be a ground based shot:

I posted this to see how many people responded with the negative remarks.

Why?

I mean, you understand people's "negative" comments because, if they assume you were in the air (which is not a stretch assumption for this forum), then you were doing something wrong and should be called on it.

There can be no valid point made here, because anyone questioning if you were in the air or not has a good reason to ask.

I must say, some you didn’t fail to let me down.

You admit then that it was provocation. I for one wish these boards had no such posts among adult posters.

Chris

It's very illegal to fly at the GC (big fines) so where did you take off from? Or maybe you just did a quick flight and took a chance?.
He didn't fly it. If you go through all of the messages, he was holding it.

nice picture mate, take no notice of all the bellends who are quick to jum in with negativity which is the majority of this thread give it a rest ffs...
Thanks. I’ve never been one to give any credence to opinions of people who I don’t even know. Negative comments only come from miserable people wanting to feel good about themselves. I was reading comments about other issues here on this forum and noticed all the negative trolls so I decided to see how many of them I could get worked up. A simple post, simple words, and a simple random pic to demonstrate how quick people can jump to conclusions.

Here’s E6879D7E-C143-4469-BC0C-BF87F0774B38.jpega pic I took yesterday.

... I was reading comments about other issues here on this forum and noticed all the negative trolls so I decided to see how many of them I could get worked up.....
Putting up a post just to get a reaction from the "trolls", is also a form of trolling.

I've stood at that same spot, nice shot.

Realizing that it is totally illegal to launch from within a NP, does anyone know how to get exceptions or special permits? IMO ... drone pilots pay taxes that support NP's so there should be, at least, a time period each day or a day each week when drones are permitted.

Realizing that it is totally illegal to launch from within a NP, does anyone know how to get exceptions or special permits? IMO ... drone pilots pay taxes that support NP's so there should be, at least, a time period each day or a day each week when drones are permitted.

First of WELCOME to the forum :)

Lots of other people "pay taxes" and don't get to do anything they want to on NP land. Some of us don't want drones out in the wilderness because we go there to get away from technology and enjoy nature.

Reactions: Scubadiver1944

Each park has a separate Permitting process that has to be used. Permits are usually good for a set time frame and restricted to a set flight plan which is listed in the permit request. I am not sure if a 107 license is also a requirement.

In reality, It's more likely an issue of who you know, and where they are in the chain of command.

Paul C

First of WELCOME to the forum :)

Lots of other people "pay taxes" and don't get to do anything they want to on NP land. Some of us don't want drones out in the wilderness because we go there to get away from technology and enjoy nature.
I generally agree with you ... BUT many are either in the park very early (before crowds) or have hiked into back country where there is no-one for miles. Also, the concept of allowing drones, let's say, every Tuesday from 1:00 PM to 5:00 PM might be a reasonable attempt at fairness.

I generally agree with you ... BUT many are either in the park very early (before crowds) or have hiked into back country where there is no-one for miles. Also, the concept of allowing drones, let's say, every Tuesday from 1:00 PM to 5:00 PM might be a reasonable attempt at fairness.

I whole heartedly disagree. As someone who spends a good deal of time in NPS land the last thing I want is the sound and nuisance of a herd of UAS operators bouncing around. I go there to get away from such. There are so many OPEN places to fly there's really no need to spoil it for those who want to try and keep NPS land as natural as is possible.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pocki