DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic 2 pro high iso white dots in dark areas

chhaiwalla

Reactions
Hey guys,

sorry if this is a dumb question but is it normal to have some white flickering dots in dark areas when filming in low light + high ISO?

I did a quick test and am noticing white dots coming in and out of my video when the iso is at +800 or above. Is this considered sensor noise or hot pixels?

Here is the video - it's just pointed at a dark area and I am just starting with the iso 100 and then going up. Pay attention to the bottom left of the TV - you'll see it flickering in and out.

DJI_0239.MP4

video is very degraded if you just stream - might need to download it then view full screen!

Thanks for any help!

Pixels on sensor need remapping
At least this is what happens on my Nikon camera which can be remapped via a computer program.
Not sure what happens with Mavics

SORRY I DON'T KNOW WHAT I'M LOOKING AT AND IT MAY JUST BE REFLECTION OF SOMETHING
can't see what you describe

Last edited:
Pixels on sensor need remapping
At least this is what happens on my Nikon camera which can be remapped via a computer program.
Not sure what happens with Mavics

SORRY I DON'T KNOW WHAT I'M LOOKING AT AND IT MAY JUST BE REFLECTION OF SOMETHING
can't see what you describe (is that to do with res/quality of vid?)

Yeh - it gets really compressed if you are streaming it. If you download (its a 500mb file) then open it and full screen you'll be able to notice it around 20 seconds in.

Yeah, I see what you mean. I would be more worried if they were permanently on.
Not a good sign though but what do I know?

Yeah, I see what you mean. I would be more worried if they were permanently on.
Not a good sign though but what do I know?

Yeh - it isn't there in pictures. Also not there when the iso is 100-200 and I also cannot spot it during the day time.

Yes i understand what you mean. Have same issue. This white noise for me is very pronounced on big tv screens. Dark areas seems not really black and have lot of white noises randomly. It is the worse thing i ve ever seen. This is not due to faulty camera because it happens on both Mavic 2 zoom and Mavic 2 pro cameras.

I ve searched a lot about this issue but i think Mavic users are not real cinema, Tv or any broadcast audiovisual professionals. But i m. And i did buy both models for serious propose. They are useless for night shots. What is a big surprise to me, as Mavic 2 pro is stated as a night shot bird by DJI.

Last edited:
Kilomikebravo, i disagree whith you. First of all this forum topic is about same issue i have. Second, all forums are appropriated to state something bad like that. DJI states Mavic 2 pro (say, PRO) at least as a prosumer tool. I would bought Inspire 2 or other big drone.But i did choose mavic 2 based on my needs. I need a small drone. My concern is not about a professional feature missed in those drones. But it is about a flaw that even cell phones videos shouldn t have.

Last edited:
I like this forum and I shot for National Geographic Magazine for nearly two decades and won an Academy Award. I’ve been flying drones for filmmaking since they were gas powered - I like the Mavics for their portability, versatility and to be able to get a camera, any camera where these birds can fly still feels like miracle to me. I’ve shot some very satisfying imagery with this gear. And I’ve seen a lot of great photographs taken with cell phones. All of my films used drones, and we used everything from buttonhole cameras to IMAX film. The best camera is the one you have with you. And just because you have the most expensive gear, the best lenses and the most pixels doesn’t make you the best photographer - just like having a great typewriter doesn’t make you a great writer.

Thank you Louboy. Yes you are right in all your appointments. But i think based in what i found on web that Mavic 1 doesn t have white noise dots. All cameras i own, inclunding 5d MK IV, have lots of limitation. Moiré, rolling shuter, noise etc etc. But white noise in black areas????? I can t figure out how could i remove it in post production. Those white noise are very visible like stars in the sky. For youtube videos, i think, it would not be a problem, because you maybe cannot notice it without bionic eyes. But when you watch night shots videos from mavic 2 pro and zoom drones in 40" tv screens or above those videos are unusable. Unfortunately i need to make videos for Tv. What i can do is: sell both drones or shot only at day time. Or bag to DJI fix it in a new firmware update.

Last edited:
Thank you Louboy. Yes you are right in all your appointments. But i think based in what i found on web that Mavic 1 doesn t have white noise dots. All cameras i own, inclunding 5d MK IV, have lots of limitation. Moiré, rolling shuter, noise etc etc. But white noise in black areas????? I can t figure out how could i remove it in post production. Those white noise are very visible like stars in the sky. For youtube videos, i think, it would not be a problem, because you maybe cannot notice it without bionic eyes. But when you watch night shots videos from mavic 2 pro and zoom drones in 40" tv screens or above those videos are unusable. Unfortunately i need to make videos for Tv. What i can do is: sell both drones or shot only at day time. Or bag to DJI fix it in a new firmware update.
How about posting an example so people can see what the problem is.
If you are shooting at night with high ISO, you will always get grainy results.
That's just what happens in tjhose situations with a small sensor.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bbj5143