DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic 2 Pro is now RID compliant

Go see my video on"180 Error" fix
Over the last few days, it appears that I have downloaded all of the updates for firmware and software.
To find what updates you have, I suggest the following on the "Smart Controller":
1. Once DJI Go 4 app is opened, go to the upper right corner for the 3 dots.
2. Click on the 3 dots to find "General Settings".
3. Click on "About" on the bottom of the list.
4. Scroll down to the bottom of the "About" page.
5. There you will find a detailed list of your drone and controller apps. This includes the app version numbers, and serial numbers, including your Remote ID number if you installed it.
6. Many have complained about your drone's inability to launch. I found the need to update at least 3 apps. This summary page allows you to "Check for Updates". Do it. I can launch.
7. Have not seen the drone on a phone app or phone settings however.
8. I tried updating my FAA registration today, but could not post the RID serial number. Showed as "invalid" number. DJI's website had no guidance.
9. Reached out to the FAA via email for guidance. Expecting a response early tomorrow.
10. It is my understanding that we are also required to update our FAA registrations with the RID serial number for full compliance.
I will post FAA's response when I get one.
Good luck guys.

I updated my Mavic 2 Pro over the weekend and was able to add it to the FAA Inventory.
I had read that the updating FAA Inventory was a problem, so I removed it from inventory then added it back with RID info.
1701736483421.png

I updated my Mavic 2 Pro over the weekend and was able to add it to the FAA Inventory.
I had read that the updating FAA Inventory was a problem, so I removed it from inventory then added it back with RID info.
View attachment 170788
Here is the FAA's response overnight to my request for clarification. Seems inconsistent to what has just been posted by Sam36401.

"While DJI may have pushed a remote ID firmware update to its customers, DJI has not submitted a remote ID declaration of compliance to the FAA as required by 14 CFR Part 89 (the remote ID rule). Once they do so, FAADroneZone will accept the remote ID serial number."

As a follow-up, I just tried Sam36401's suggestion to "remove from inventory and add it (my Mavic 2 Pro) back with the RID info. FAADroneZone would not accept my RID serial number. Very frustrating.

Last edited:
Here is the FAA's response overnight to my request for clarification. Seems inconsistent to what has just been posted by Sam36401.

"While DJI may have pushed a remote ID firmware update to its customers, DJI has not submitted a remote ID declaration of compliance to the FAA as required by 14 CFR Part 89 (the remote ID rule). Once they do so, FAADroneZone will accept the remote ID serial number."

As a follow-up, I just tried Sam36401's suggestion to "remove from inventory and add it (my Mavic 2 Pro) back with the RID info. FAADroneZone would not accept my RID serial number. Very frustrating.
I added mine to both M2P's, Phantom 4 RTK & MEA over the last 3 months with no issues.

As I was typing in my RID number, the FAA Drone Zone had 'invalid number' message showing until I typed the final '0'. Then it accepted it.
I can confirm the following:
1. Today (December 6), the FAA added DJI Mavic 2 Pro as an approved RID-compliant device to its list.
2. Today, I successfully re-listed my drone with my RID serial number on FAA Drone Zone as a recreational flyer.
3. As part of my re-listing, I found it necessary to use the number "0" rather than the letter "O" in the last five characters.
In the end, thanks for words of wisdom from this enthusiastic group, as always. Thank you Sam36401.

I found it necessary to use the number "0" rather than the letter "O"
Good point! I wasnt clear on the character that I had to add to the RID number.
My apologies to anyone that was confused. My brain knew exactly what I was typing, but I neglected to think about other people not knowing what I meant. Silly fingers... typing without thinking! :rolleyes:

Now, it seems that we can be compliant.

For the life of me I can't figure out why, after downloading all of the latest updates for firmware and Go4, and after rebooting, the new remote ID on my M2P did not show up in "about," but after I took it outside and connected my SC to the M2P, it appeared (only to disappear after going back inside).,

Over the last few days, it appears that I have downloaded all of the updates for firmware and software.
To find what updates you have, I suggest the following on the "Smart Controller":
1. Once DJI Go 4 app is opened, go to the upper right corner for the 3 dots.
2. Click on the 3 dots to find "General Settings".
3. Click on "About" on the bottom of the list.
4. Scroll down to the bottom of the "About" page.
5. There you will find a detailed list of your drone and controller apps. This includes the app version numbers, and serial numbers, including your Remote ID number if you installed it.
6. Many have complained about your drone's inability to launch. I found the need to update at least 3 apps. This summary page allows you to "Check for Updates". Do it. I can launch.
7. Have not seen the drone on a phone app or phone settings however.
8. I tried updating my FAA registration today, but could not post the RID serial number. Showed as "invalid" number. DJI's website had no guidance.
9. Reached out to the FAA via email for guidance. Expecting a response early tomorrow.
10. It is my understanding that we are also required to update our FAA registrations with the RID serial number for full compliance.
I will post FAA's response when I get one.
Good luck guys.
Your RID Serial Number is 1581F <your Flight Controller SN> 0 --with no spaces. It should accept your RID SN with that info.

Reactions: sadatoni
I'm in the same boat as some others. M2P with smart controller, everything updated, RID SN showing in the Go4 app, RID SN updated on FAA page. Nothing showing in Dronetag app nor Drone Scanner app on Android phone. I've made the effort. I'd love to know it's working but I've done my part.

I'm in the same boat as some others. M2P with smart controller, everything updated, RID SN showing in the Go4 app, RID SN updated on FAA page. Nothing showing in Dronetag app nor Drone Scanner app on Android phone. I've made the effort. I'd love to know it's working but I've done my part.
On my Drone Scanner app (and Air Sentinel also), it takes 10-15 seconds for my M2Pro or Air 2S to show up after take off.
Just in case you hadn't read it anywhere. they wont broadcast until motors are on and take off is done.

On my Drone Scanner app (and Air Sentinel also), it takes 10-15 seconds for my M2Pro or Air 2S to show up after take off.
Just in case you hadn't read it anywhere. they wont broadcast until motors are on and take off is done.
Yep - tried tonight to take it up a little higher tonight, for several seconds. I'm getting GPS from the drone that is accurate, and from the controller that is accurate. I'll head out and do a longer flight when I get a chance. If I have success, I'll definitely report back here!

Is this RID update compatible with the Smart Controller?

I read through the release notes and I updated my Mavic 2 Pro and Smart Controller.

My aircraft firmware and DJI Go 4 App match the release notes on the first post on page 1. My Smart Controller "Remote Controller Firmware" does not. It is showing v01.01.0072. When I check for updates, it states it is current.

I rebooted the SC and drone.

Wondering if I might have to "manually" install, I checked the DJI website Smart Controller section and it lists .0072 as the latest RC Firmware dated 11/2022.

When I check the DJI Go 4 "About" section on the SC, I see that it lists the Remote ID as 1581F163...0. So it appears there is a Remote ID.

I have a standard controller that I purchased separately to run Drone Deploy, but the Smart Controller is what I use for everything else. My iPhone + case does not fit in the built in holder, so I have a separate bracket I've purchased. So it takes quite a bit of time to set up. It lists Remote Controller firmware as .077. (Yeah, I saw that DJI is dropping support for iOS.)

I don't have an android device, besides SC, so I don't think I can check my RID while flying. From what I read here (or maybe elsewhere) that the app doesn't work properly on iOS.

So, I think that I am good ... but I have no real way to check.

Anyone else using the SC and have been able to check if RID is working properly?

Thanks in advance for any insight.

When I check the DJI Go 4 "About" section on the SC, I see that it lists the Remote ID as 1581F163...0. So it appears there is a Remote ID.
You should verify that you are transmitting your RID info using one on the drone monitoring apps (several are available for Android and iOS phones). Start the motors, take off and hover or fly make a short flight. You should see the drone info pop up in the monitoring app. Sometimes, it took 30 seconds or so for mine to show up.
We (as pilots) can do our part to be compliant (firmware updated, etc). DJI still has submit the serial number snafu that they created and FAA has to approve it. THEN, everyone should be in compliance.
Not to worry though. We still have until 1st Qtr 2024 before the enforcement part kicks in (from what we hear)

You should verify that you are transmitting your RID info using one on the drone monitoring apps (several are available for Android and iOS phones).
[Update]: I did some interweb searching for iOS and drone scanner after posting. Nothing really popped up. So I dove into Drone Scanner settings. It stated that Wi-Fi access "Not Granted." No settings I could find to enable. Then I saw a "Why WiFi cannot be enabled on this iPhone?" link on the settings page:

"iOS devices have system limitations for the Wi-Fi, so if you are using iOS, you won't be able to receive data transmitted by Wi-Fi."

So, unless the drone transmits via BT, you aren't going to see it using an RID scanner apparently on any iOS device. I am truly baffled this isn't listed anywhere prominently in the App store when downloading their app. It's buried in a settings & help page.

----

As I mentioned above, others have said iOS devices are not working properly with RID scanners.

Given that and my uncertainty if the M2P+Smart Controller is RID is compliant, I have no idea if no drone showing means that the drone is non-RID or if the iOS device is the problem.

It did not show in Drone Scanner on my iOS device and flying around for about 10 minutes using the SC.

I am charging up my standard controller, I'll install Drone Scanner on my iPad and see what happens. If it doesn't show there - then I can probably assume it's iOS device issues since the Standard Controller is showing the appropriate RC Firmware (.0077) and others had success with the update.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sam36401
It did not show up on my iPad Air after I installed Drone Scanner. My Android phone sitting right beside it worked fine.
Are you using a Smart Controller or standard controller?

Given that RID scanners (using WiFi) won't work on iOS, I have no way currently to check and see if my updates and setup is functioning properly on my Smart Controller.

Only reason I wonder is that the most current Remote Controller firmware for that is .0072 and doesn't match the DJI release notes on the RID update.

I have a question for those that feel "hell bent" on seeing if the RID works. If you own a newer drone that has RID built in from the manufacture did you go out d/l an app to see if it works? Maybe its just me, but according to the FAA regulations all the RPIC is responsible for is to have installed a module or update their drone with the approved firmware from the manufacture. Update the drone if already register to add the RID number. No where does it state that the RPIC is required to d/l an app to check if the RID is working or how far the signal can reach. Does not state which or if any platform is to be used to detect such signals. For over the past year or more, most have bemoaned about RID and now that it is being delivered (FREE OF CHARGE) all I keep seeing in this thread is people questioning the legitimacy of the software. SMH. if you are fearful of the technology maybe this is not the hobby or side work/full time pursuit you should be in. Some things just need to be taken on faith. It's not like the FAA will be coming after you if you did everything correctly.

Are you using a Smart Controller or standard controller?

Given that RID scanners (using WiFi) won't work on iOS, I have no way currently to check and see if my updates and setup is functioning properly on my Smart Controller.

Only reason I wonder is that the most current Remote Controller firmware for that is .0072 and doesn't match the DJI release notes on the RID update.
I have the standard controller

Reactions: Heed
I have a question for those that feel "hell bent" on seeing if the RID works.
I dont agree with the term 'hell bent', but its another level of verification to make sure that, in addition to the firmware updates and making sure that the FAA registration is updated to match the RID info in the software, that we (or at least some of us) want to verify that our requirements have been fully met.

No, we are not required to check or verify it.
if you are fearful of the technology maybe this is not the hobby or side work/full time pursuit you should be in.
A bit strong, dont you think?

No offense intended. Just stating my personal opinion like I think you were doing also.
I know you were helpful with a lot of people trying to get their firmware updated. I know it was greatly appreciated from the posts. Thank you for your help.

Reactions: Heed
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PilotOne