DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic 2 Pro is now RID compliant

I have a question for those that feel "hell bent" on seeing if the RID works. If you own a newer drone that has RID built in from the manufacture did you go out d/l an app to see if it works? Maybe its just me, but according to the FAA regulations all the RPIC is responsible for is to have installed a module or update their drone with the approved firmware from the manufacture. Update the drone if already register to add the RID number. No where does it state that the RPIC is required to d/l an app to check if the RID is working or how far the signal can reach. Does not state which or if any platform is to be used to detect such signals. For over the past year or more, most have bemoaned about RID and now that it is being delivered (FREE OF CHARGE) all I keep seeing in this thread is people questioning the legitimacy of the software. SMH. if you are fearful of the technology maybe this is not the hobby or side work/full time pursuit you should be in. Some things just need to be taken on faith. It's not like the FAA will be coming after you if you did everything correctly.
I hear you and normally I would agree with you but here's my personal take on this. Even though you've "done your part" there is still a rule/regulation that states at any point the RPIC has determined that RID is not functioning properly, you are to immediately land your drone until remedy. To me, this is like an "escape clause" that can be triggered by the FAA *if necessary* so I guess that's why people want to make sure they are transmitting. If you are found to be flying and not transmitting even thru no fault of your own, there's a path (although it is weak) to holding you responsible. 9 times out of 10 it likely won't go down that way but it's free and it's easy to check for yourself. If someone were to approach you and claim they cannot detect anything, I'd rather know "it's not me, it must be you" if that makes sense. Otherwise....why even have all this RID activity going on, why not just hold the OEM responsible for making sure it works out of the box and leave it at that? Over the years, RID implementation and usage won't even be a thing any longer. My guess is in part because of homemade or self-built drones.

Reactions: Sam36401
I have a question for those that feel "hell bent" on seeing if the RID works. If you own a newer drone that has RID built in from the manufacture did you go out d/l an app to see if it works? Maybe its just me, but according to the FAA regulations all the RPIC is responsible for is to have installed a module or update their drone with the approved firmware from the manufacture. Update the drone if already register to add the RID number. No where does it state that the RPIC is required to d/l an app to check if the RID is working or how far the signal can reach. Does not state which or if any platform is to be used to detect such signals. For over the past year or more, most have bemoaned about RID and now that it is being delivered (FREE OF CHARGE) all I keep seeing in this thread is people questioning the legitimacy of the software. SMH. if you are fearful of the technology maybe this is not the hobby or side work/full time pursuit you should be in. Some things just need to be taken on faith. It's not like the FAA will be coming after you if you did everything correctly.
Gee whiz, take a chill pill. I didn't want RID and I didn't support the implementation.

Hell bent? No. As Sam said, I am just simply trying to see if the FAA required functionality is functioning.

Who questioned the legitimacy of the software? I see people trying to see if it was working. It's a real crazy thing to see if a certain functionality is working - even ones we didn't champion like RID.

As is clear from my post, it's not clear that RID with the M2P Firmware update with a Smart Controller running Remote Controller firmware .0072, which is the most recent version according to the device and DJI's website, is functioning properly.

According to DJI's release notes, RC firmware .0077 is required.

Fearful of the technology? Please. I don't see anyone exhibiting this in their posts on this thread.

I've spent my entire life in aviation and I don't take things on faith, especially when the FAA is involved. Yes, I realize they are applying discretion in pursuing violations around RID currently. They aren't saying they won't pursue violations, take a close read of what they do say:

"Drone pilots are expected to comply with the original September 16, 2023 compliance date for Remote ID. However, the FAA understands that some drone pilots may not be able to comply because of limited availability of broadcast modules and lack of approved FAA-Recognized Identification Areas. In those instances, the FAA will consider all factors in determining whether to take enforcement action through March 16, 2024."

So if you have a drone that could be updated, but didn't do it right and assumed it was working on faith - would you be violated if the FAA came poking around? Probably not, but why take the chance?

Just curious, which things surrounding drone operations do you just take on faith?

Reactions: Sam36401
When I see post questioning (a free update) to bring a product into compliance that is 5-6 years old. Other manufactures have gone silent with no customer support (Autel). It gives me a sense of being un-grateful, for DJI could have simply moved forward and left these legacy drones to die on peoples shelves/closet. As a commercial operator I was facing a choice of spending over 1k on modules for my Phantoms and Mavic 2 Pro's. These updates have extended the life of the tools I use to generate income, so I have nothing but great things to say from a customer service standpoint and brand loyalty. I fail to see why would DJI put out something that they didn't feel confident would pass/meet the RID guidelines set forth by the FAA when all their recent drones are already on the list.

Just curious, which things surrounding drone operations do you just take on faith?
The same faith you took when your purchased any of the drones you fly, that they would work as intended. Do things go wrong, Yes. When that occurs, our faith is shaken a bit, but we go back out and fly again. When I do work, I have to have faith that the drone does what I need it to do, I won't be able to tell if it didn't until it returns and I am able to view the footage. Its all based on faith, until it doesn't work.

Reactions: Heed
When I see post questioning (a free update) to bring a product into compliance that is 5-6 years old. Other manufactures have gone silent with no customer support (Autel). It gives me a sense of being un-grateful, for DJI could have simply moved forward and left these legacy drones to die on peoples shelves/closet. As a commercial operator I was facing a choice of spending over 1k on modules for my Phantoms and Mavic 2 Pro's. These updates have extended the life of the tools I use to generate income, so I have nothing but great things to say from a customer service standpoint and brand loyalty. I fail to see why would DJI put out something that they didn't feel confident would pass/meet the RID guidelines set forth by the FAA when all their recent drones are already on the list.
I guess your post makes more sense to me now.

Personally, I didn't take any of the posts as coming across as ungrateful.

It came across, to me, as folks verifying things were functioning normally. I was in the same boat and even if I hadn't come across the Smart Controller firmware issue, I still would have tested it.

That's just the way I am.

How?
Not to sound stupid, but if the shoe fits.....

I updated the M2P yesterday using my Galaxy A7 Tab tethered to the remote. All seems good with the drone. How do I updated the controller and app?

I tried to fly today and got an Error 180, saying to contact DJI.
You have to update the DJI Go Fly software on your controller. I ran into the same situation and the fix is updating the Go Fly app.

Reactions: CadrePilot
No

Nope, android (Samsung S23), so I don't know what's going on. Maybe it will kick in sometime, I'll keep checking it when I fly. I'm going to take it for granted the remote ID is working. Thanks
It can take 5 to 10 minutes to pick up the drone in flight. But then other times it picks up in just a few minutes.

Another way to tell if RID is working, you can turn wifi "on" using you cell phone, then refresh the available networks and you will see one "RID ###########", you can turn your controller and drone off to see if that network disappears. Sometimes there's a slight lag between showing the RID and the "RID" dropping off.
Hi,
Where do you see the rid #? I updated to the latest version for rid and updated the DJI go 4 app. Everything is working fine I just don't see where the rid # is on the controller when the bird and controller are turned on. Thanks for any help you can give!

Hi,
Where do you see the rid #? I updated to the latest version for rid and updated the DJI go 4 app. Everything is working fine I just don't see where the rid # is on the controller when the bird and controller are turned on. Thanks for any help you can give!
As I mentioned before once you have turned on your controller and connected your drone, I have a samsung android phone, turn on your wifi on your phone, then look at your wifi settings on the phone for connected or available devices/networks and you should see one with RID #########. It will be your registration number preceeded by 1581F or a similar number before your drone registration number. You can tell if it's yours by watching the available networks connected to your phone, then turning your drone and or controller off to see if the RID ###### disappears.

As I mentioned before once you have turned on your controller and connected your drone, I have a samsung android phone, turn on your wifi on your phone, then look at your wifi settings on the phone for connected or available devices/networks and you should see one with RID #########. It will be your registration number preceeded by 1581F or a similar number before your drone registration number. You can tell if it's yours by watching the available networks connected to your phone, then turning your drone and or controller off to see if the RID ###### disappears.
I forgot to mention I use the smart controller, under settings go to "about" and you should see the rid info there also.

A new firmware update was just released to add RID support to the Mavic 2 Pro. See more details in the release notes here.
Sooo, this means the $150 module I bought 6 months ago was a waste of money? This requirement has been a fiasco to say the least.

Sooo, this means the $150 module I bought 6 months ago was a waste of money?
Sell it on eBay. You'll probably get most of your money back if it's still selling for the same price.

Reactions: DroneTats
Sooo, this means the $150 module I bought 6 months ago was a waste of money? This requirement has been a fiasco to say the least.
It appears you jumped the gun, this update came out November 23, 2023, where have you been? even with all the errors that came along with it DJI delivered as promised. Technically you had up to March of 2024 before you would have been forced to buy a module.

It appears you jumped the gun, this update came out November 23, 2023, where have you been? even with all the errors that came along with it DJI delivered as promised. Technically you had up to March of 2024 before you would have been forced to buy a module.

Ok, first comment is this. Why would you put something like "where have you been" in your response? Seems counter productive. Second, the rule was supposed to launch Sept 16th of 23. It wasn't until then there was an extension. I was prepared for the original release of the requirement hense the comment about this being a fiasco.

My response is based on the FACTS, that RID was placed on extended implementation week or so before the 16th of Sept RID date (That was from the FAA). DJI had put out a release, stating that they would be providing updates for legacy drones, from the Phantom 4 Pro V2, Mavic 2 Pro/Zoom, Air 2/2s. DJI put out a deadline for themselves of December 31, 2023 to have all the updates for RID done. So what part of you jumping the gun did I miss??????

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PilotOne