DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic 2 Pro - Is this video normal or Juddery?

kpundit

Reactions
Hi all, Does this footage look normal? It looks pretty juddery to me. Anything I am doing wrong or is this something wrong with the mavic 2 pro? I use Sandisk Extreeme plus V30, 3, A2 cards and left the camera settings at default except for the resolution which is at 4K/H.264.

Any tips to solve this will be greatly appreciated!

I've uploaded the file to google drive here

Video 1 Video 2

Cheers

Looks stuttery to me. I don't believe your SD card is a problem. You'd see different issues if it wasn't keeping up. Maybe check your shutter speed against your frame rate. If you keep your shutter speed at about 2 times your frame rate, it introduces a little motion blur which smooths things out nicely. So for 4k 30 frames per second video you want to keep your shutter around 1/60th. Hope that helps!

Reactions: kpundit
Yes jittery and juddery to my eye, indeed. I forget formula but shutter speed need to be double frame rate I think, that or the opposite I think, and then the jitter will go away. Sounds like hansinla might know.

Hi. We really need a sticky for this question. You don't really give enough info on what your camera settings are regarding frame rate and shutter speed. I'm afraid I don't know what the default settings are as I've never used them. If you're going for that "cinematic look" and shooting at 24 fps, then judder like that is pretty hard to avoid since that frame rate is pretty slow. Even cinema movies can and do show jitter like that or a lot of blur in fast movements. 30 fps will give you less of that staccato movement but it still happens. 60 fps will come close to eliminating most of it. However, if you want to shoot 4k you have to shoot 24 or 30 fps so technique becomes important. I'm not going to go into all the details here so I'll just say that the so-called rule for shutter speed is that for 24 fps, your shutter speed should be at 1/48th of a second or as close as you can get. For 30 fps, it should be at 1/60th. Faster shutter speeds, 1/125th for example, will create more judder. Slower shutter speeds, 1/30th for example, will create more blur in your footage. You may or may not want either for creative purposes but for general purposes neither of those scenarios is likely what you want. What you need to do, if you've set your shutter speed to the frame rate as described above is to slow down your movements. You can slow your gimbal settings down and that will help. You can set your yaw settings for better results. You can try cinema mode in the controller, that will help. Note it's down sides, though.

Anyway, so that I don't have to type it all again, please see

There are other threads that have helpful info if you dig through the forum a bit. I hope that helps.

BTW, I'm using Sandisk Extreme Pro V30 cards. I've never had a problem with them using the techniques above. There are a lot of counterfeit cards out there though and they are known to often cause problems. If the above info doesn't help, you may need new cards.

Wow, thank you everyone for your quick and detailed inputs. I am super new to photography and videography, so still learning the ropes. I got back home and looked at my drone settings. I have been shooting in Auto mode. Sample settings when I turned on my Drone below.

4K HQ at 24 fps
Auto ISO
Aperture: 2.8
Shutter: 1/25
EV: +0.3

I will try doubling the Frame rate- FPS numbers and give it a shot.

Thank you @ Corthan for the additional reading materials.

Happy flying!

BTW, I'm using Sandisk Extreme Pro V30 cards. I've never had a problem with them using the techniques above. There are a lot of counterfeit cards out there though and they are known to often cause problems. If the above info doesn't help, you may need new cards.
I got these from Bestbuy, hoping they have measures of checking if these are counterfeit from the source. I will fly the drone this weekend with a couple different v30 cards and try out diff frame rates to see which works best.

Also planning on buying some ND filters to improve the look and feel of the videos.

Thanks again.

The problem not mentioned is setting 60fps. In 99% of cases you will over expose and so you will need an ND filter (not mentioned anywhere)..
Good point about the ND filters, Crusader14. I was in a hurry to answer and get out the door and thought that they'd been discussed on one of the linked posts. They're even more necessary at 24 or 30 fps though because the shutter can and is likely to be open even longer than 60 fps allows. Cheers.

That reply is slightly confusing I think. Set 30fps and then 1/60sec shutter speed. To do this in almost all light conditions (with 100 -200 ISO) then an ND filter will be needed.

I downloaded the video and put it into Mediainfo. The video is 3840x2160 23.976 (24 fps) progressive, 8-bit depth with a chroma subsampling of 4:2:0. It is AVC (h.264).

The juddery look is entirely due to the video being 24 fps progressive. This frame rate is simply not high enough to fool your eye into thinking it is seeing smooth motion. Your "persistence of vision" requires rates of double that in order to avoid judder because you can actually perceive the individual frames at this low frame rate.

Hollywood movies are shot at this rate, but you seldom are aware of the judder because the DP is trained to not pan the camera horizontally at a fast speed, and not to let large objects move horizontally through the frame while too near the camera.

30 fps is a little better, but you'll still have problems. If smooth video is a priority, then you must give up on 4K and instead use the HD (1920x1080) 60 fps setting.

Agree with johnmeyer and Corthan. Shooting at 24 fps pans must be very slooooowwww. In the US it is best to shoot at 30 (29,97) fps or 60 (59.94) fps if you can for the best results.

For those with about 15 minutes to spare who want to know more about the frame rate development, I found the following video by Filmmaker IQ very informative.

Reactions: brettbrandon
For those with about 15 minutes to spare who want to know more about the frame rate development, I found the following video by Filmmaker IQ very informative.

Fake news! Now fake films! It's all a lie, and an illusion! :eek:
Good stuff. Thanks for sharing it!

• Haha

It was a very informative and interesting fifteen minutes... thanks.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ryanhafeman