DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic 2 Pro - LED Intermittent Problem

ChristWolves

Reactions
I just got my Mavic 2 Pro few days ago - What an expensive device!

I started noticing some problem when I started my flight today - the LED on one of the legs has a loose connection.

I need to keep beating the leg to turn it on. Weird!

Anyone experienced this before?

Attachments

• DJI PRob.png
    DJI PRob.png
    2.5 MB · Views: 50
It might be a kink in the LED power wire where it folds up. It's low voltage, so probably wont short circuit your ESC board. With the props off. you might try folding the leg slowly and see if the light starts and stops at a certain point.

In any case, if it were mine, I would send it back.

Anyone experienced this before?
I haven't seen anyone mention this issue yet. It's most likely some type of hardware issue. Assuming you didn't damage your Mavic, this is something that should be easily replaced under warranty. And if you purchased your drone in person at a store like Best Buy or on Amazon, you might even be able to quickly replace it for another new Mavic.

This is the video for the Mavic 2 Pro - How to turn on the LED Indicator :confused:

Sending it back would mean that 2-4 weeks needed for such minor fault, and I will be travelling in 2 weeks. *shrugs*

Dropbox Link

If you are comfortable flying with only 1 rear red LED, it's not a big deal. You could always buy one of these blinking strobes to put on the center rear as a temporary fix just to be able to maintain your orientation with your aircraft. One day shipping on Amazon (I dont get paid for the link):

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07CNL2TJ7/ref=sspa_dk_hqp_detail_aax_0?psc=1

Sending it back would mean that 2-4 weeks needed for such minor fault, and I will be travelling in 2 weeks
Maybe wait until you get back from your trip then? Flying without one of the rear lights is probably not even going to be an inconvenience.

OP, i would consider loss of orientation a very big inconvenience and unsafe. If you really didn't wanna spend any money on the LED's then you could put some highly visible tape on the back arms for higher visibility.

I would consider loss of orientation a very big inconvenience and unsafe.
Luckily, there are two lights on the rear of the Mavic 2. @ChristWolves could still use the remaining light for orientation purposes if it's a must-have in order to fly.

There are better ways to determine orientation. And one should really learn them before attempting to fly. It's quite easy to get the Mavic in a position where the lights cannot be seen (like when flying in bright sunlight), so relying solely on being able to see the rear (or front) lights is an unsafe practice (IMHO).

Reactions: Dragonfly
It doesn't take going too far before I can't see the LEDs. I check for orientation by flying straight and yawing in the direction it is going. When it stops moving left or right, it's heading towards you.
Saw that on a noob video and never forgot it.

Just worried that the LED on the legs has any effect that causes no current delivered to the flight motor during in-flight that stops the rotor and causes the crash. :eek:

Reactions: Former Member
Just worried that the LED on the legs has any effect that causes no current delivered to the flight motor during in-flight that stops the rotor and causes the crash. :eek:
Not at all, totally independent of motors and current is so small it won't hurt any electronics. It's still fine to use as is apart from only one light.

The reason why DJI puts the lights on there in the 1st place is for orientation. Whoever says that it's better to fly with lights off so that they could learn how to fly either never has flown a drone or has eyesight of an Eagle.. most of us mortals like our orientation lights and fly by them. They serve a purpose for every pilot.

Not at all, totally independent of motors and current is so small it won't hurt any electronics. It's still fine to use as is apart from only one light.
It is not independent of the flight controller Esc board. The Fc Esc board is the boss of both the Leds and the propulsion motors. It would be such a shame to lose a bird because either a pilot didn't want to spend $24 to make his drone safer or didn't want to wait a short while to get it fixed.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
da4o98