DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic 2 Pro motors shut down mid-flight

...... which makes me wonder if the drone airframe may get hot in flight and flex with flight movements. .....

Paul C
Or, possibly, the battery gets hot and the latch becomes a little loose.

I'm sure this "situation" is of interest to many M2 owners and like SAR, I do the same push and pull routine but my OCD is telling me to start using a Velcro strap. However, as Paul indicated, the real estate for such is quite limited. More pondering required.
well, i got it out of the backpack, this mavic, looked at it and it seems to be the sufficient 'fix' to the problem, in my case at least, to get several layers of simple scotch tape to the internal wall of the battery bay opposite from the power connector. that allowed to close the gap between battery and the connector side wall completely and eradicated 90% of any 'play' of the battery. i do not think i will do anything else, battery seems to be very well secured now. it took about of 4 layers of the transparent scotch tape, in between of the notches on the wall, from top to bottom, excluding ridge, so it would NOT be affecting how deep battery sits - only pushes it toward the connector`s opposite wall.

DJI just sent me an email. They did not report what they had found but did state that all repairs would be covered under warranty. Had I not had Refresh coverage repair costs would have been $561.60.

Reactions: Thomas B
This really worry me. Anyone has the record of how many this incident since the MP2 was launched

DJI just sent me an email. They did not report what they had found but did state that all repairs would be covered under warranty. Had I not had Refresh coverage repair costs would have been $561.60.

Good result, but another apparently rather random decision from DJI, unless they are either now starting to conclude that there is a design issue with how the battery is secured on the M2 or there is a failure mechanism at play here that we are not detecting in the mobile device logs but they are seeing in the aircraft DAT files.

Some weeks ago I had a similar incident.

I flew a little out of sight as I suddenly lost connection. Didnt worry at first just waited for it to return. But it didnt. So I got worried XD. Prepared for the worst, went to search... [... long story...] found it at last. Droped from propably 50m-100m into grass. Found it with droped battery, one prop and one foot broken. Battery was a few meters away.

So wtf happend??

I even instantly mounted the battery and tried. Not even one error, new prop and it flew again.

the theorie for bad battery connection is hard to believe because I tried to provoke power loss with unlocking battery and removing it while wiggling. It needs a LOT until the power finally gets lost. Cant imagine this in flight even without fully locked battery.

strange was that the battery was that far away from the crash and the low damage. I nearly believe that the batter was already detached before impact. Otherwise the damge should be much higher..I believe.

So either it was a bird attacking me and grab the battery from the top. I really believe that because I was low and there WERE birds.

Or it was a hardware failure and I had luck one the impact the battery jumping off.

In anycase, such unknown incident are not cool.

Reactions: TheCEO
Some weeks ago I had a similar incident.

I flew a little out of sight as I suddenly lost connection. Didnt worry at first just waited for it to return. But it didnt. So I got worried XD. Prepared for the worst, went to search... [... long story...] found it at last. Droped from propably 50m-100m into grass. Found it with droped battery, one prop and one foot broken. Battery was a few meters away.

So wtf happend??

I even instantly mounted the battery and tried. Not even one error, new prop and it flew again.

the theorie for bad battery connection is hard to believe because I tried to provoke power loss with unlocking battery and removing it while wiggling. It needs a LOT until the power finally gets lost. Cant imagine this in flight even without fully locked battery.

strange was that the battery was that far away from the crash and the low damage. I nearly believe that the batter was already detached before impact. Otherwise the damge should be much higher..I believe.

So either it was a bird attacking me and grab the battery from the top. I really believe that because I was low and there WERE birds.

Or it was a hardware failure and I had luck one the impact the battery jumping off.

In anycase, such unknown incident are not cool.

You may be underestimating the inertial forces on the battery during flight. It's notable that almost all of these events immediately follow rapid attitude excursions, such as sudden braking.

You may be underestimating the inertial forces on the battery during flight. It's notable that almost all of these events immediately follow rapid attitude excursions, such as sudden braking.
ok, i will see if this size works ok, i think it should.
should fit ok in between camera and ir sensor there. quality wise those straps are not the best, but it will work as they are needed only as a safeguard.

Wow, this thread is timely for me. I got this new device, a Gannet remote bait release, that mounts to the M2 via rubber band. The rubber band presses on the battery latch release buttons. I haven't tried this thing in the field yet but when I do I'll probably add some secondary battery tie down, like tape or velcro, to prevent inadvertent release and a salt water splashdown. The device has to mount in this exact location so that its optical trigger sensor covers one of the aux lights on the M2 underside.

GannetOnMavic.jpg

Wow, this thread is timely for me. I got this new device, a Gannet remote bait release, that mounts to the M2 via rubber band. The rubber band presses on the battery latch release buttons. I haven't tried this thing in the field yet but when I do I'll probably add some secondary battery tie down, like tape or velcro, to prevent inadvertent release and a salt water splashdown. The device has to mount in this exact location so that its optical trigger sensor covers one of the aux lights on the M2 underside.

View attachment 75807
that is not a good mount. rubber band will not hold the weight of the lipo if pressure from it unlocked the latch. in my opinion, you really need to move this unit more to the right, away from the latch button.

Can't move it, the sensor has to be where it is for the device to function. The rubber band is pretty strong and would probably hold against all but the most radical g-forces, but adding a little tape won't hurt. They could have made the design better by having 2 hooks that spread the band away from the battery latch buttons.

that is not a good mount. rubber band will not hold the weight of the lipo if pressure from it unlocked the latch. in my opinion, you really need to move this unit more to the right, away from the latch button.

Can't move it, the sensor has to be where it is for the device to function. The rubber band is pretty strong and would probably hold against all but the most radical g-forces, but adding a little tape won't hurt. They could have made the design better by having 2 hooks that spread the band away from the battery latch buttons.
interesting stuff. the device itself - your state did not outlaw such things yet? in the NH and i think in the MA as well they state quite straight forward - 'This law prohibits the use of UAS for hunting, fishing, or trapping '. go figure why, just a part of the same old drone related hysteria, i think, with intent to outlaw anything that can possibly think of.

Not that I know of. This particular use is pretty benign, only to carry a bait out a little farther than you can cast. I suppose a drone could be used as a visual spotter for fish like cobia that cruise down sand bars. That might start bordering on unfair and need to be regulated.

Can also be used to deliver beers to the patio. :)

interesting stuff. the device itself - your state did not outlaw such things yet? in the NH and i think in the MA as well they state quite straight forward - 'This law prohibits the use of UAS for hunting, fishing, or trapping '. go figure why, just a part of the same old drone related hysteria, i think, with intent to outlaw anything that can possibly think of.

I experienced a crash of my Mavic 2 Pro yesterday evening; the motors just shut down mid-flight with no warning. I had launched the drone from the base of a hill, ascended to 400 ft, and then flew towards the hill to capture some photos of a structure. I had first lined up the structure on the screen in the Go4 app and then flew the drone towards it. As I reached the point where I wanted to capture photos from I stopped the drone. I confirmed that I still had visual line of sight on the drone, looked back down to my phone screen, and then started descending the drone to better frame the shot. As the drone began descending I heard the motor noise quit, the display in the Go4 app went black, and then a "Weak Signal." message was displayed within the app.

I switched to the Find My Drone section of Go4 and used that to guide me for a hike up the hill to the last known location of the drone. After reaching the point where the blue dot and red triangle were overlapping I started searching for the drone. It took me about 10 minutes to locate it, and another 5 minutes to locate the battery as it was no longer seated in the drone. The battery case had separated and the top of the case had a big dent and several scratches. The electronics in the battery still worked as the green lights around the power button still worked when I pressed it. The individual cells of the battery had separated but appeared undamaged. The drone itself had suffered a break to the foot on the left front arm and the prop on that arm was cracked and chipped. There were several scratches around the body of the drone.

When I got back home I downloaded the flight logs from the DGI Go4 app to my computer. I decrypted the flight log using the log viewer on PhantomHelp as well as AirdataUAV. The log looked normal in every regard. I created a KMZ file of the flight and loaded it in Google Earth. Moving the mouse to the launch point indicated ground elevation of 850 feet. Moving the mouse pointer to the last datapoint from the flight log indicated ground elevation of 951 feet. The last altitude that showed on display and recorded in the flight log was 348 ft - so I was greater than 240 above ground level at the time, well above any obstruction.

This morning I put a fresh battery in the drone and powered it up. The gimbal didn't go through its normal initialization and failed to move at all - so something to do with gimbal control is damaged. I connected the drone to my computer and started up DJI Assistant. It recognized the drone but wasn't able to locate any flight record data on it.

I have DJI Refresh coverage on the drone so filed a ticket with them and will be sending it to them for repair. I mentioned in the details that the battery was severely damaged. I'm surprised that they offered no ability to attach photos of damage to the battery or drone or to upload the flight record. Perhaps they'll be able to extract some data from the drone that I was not able to.

I'm really at a loss why the drone just shut down. Everything in the flight log appeared normal up until the time that things just quit. I'm attaching the flight log in case anyone would like to take a look.

I’m really sorry for you, it’s always a pain to lose an expensive drone, but Since there is no certainty that the battery came out in the air or on impact with the ground, and reading your review of the event, you are saying that you flew down in order to take a better shot, my question is: would you have back up at the same time?

I’m really sorry for you, it’s always a pain to lose an expensive drone, but Since there is no certainty that the battery came out in the air or on impact with the ground, and reading your review of the event, you are saying that you flew down in order to take a better shot, my question is: would you have back up at the same time?
No, the drone was not flying backward at the time. The flight logs show the right stick full down and the left stick centered, so the drone was only descending without any horizontal movement.

My Mavic 2 Pro #1 battery is loose near the front when locked into place on the drone. My #2 battery does fit better. This has bothered me since I got the drone. I will be using tape or a strap on future flights.

Not sure it will work but what I am gonna try is using the velcro strap that the m1 used to use for keeping the props strapped during transport, and use it to keep the m2 battery in place by strapping it around the body and battery. Gotta find the strap.

Not sure it will work but what I am gonna try is using the velcro strap that the m1 used to use for keeping the props strapped during transport, and use it to keep the m2 battery in place by strapping it around the body and battery. Gotta find the strap.
those from post #29 are arriving today, as i get `em i will post here on how it fits. i suspect even 16mm may be a bit too wide, an ideal would be 10mm, but there is no such narrow and long straps out there.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hiinthesky