DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

MAVIC 2 PRO - NOT REALLY A GREAT MAPPING UAV

John Morrison

Reactions
First of all I think the M2P is the best UAV that the DJI company has ever released - by a mile. I’ve had P3A, P4, P4P, MP1, INSPIRE PRO V2 WITH X5, A2’s, A3’s, and this little bird cuts cuts them all down. Stability, range, endurance, picture quality, feature set, price. Just outstanding. Most of our work is asset inspection and mapping.
The P4Pro is really the ducks nuts when it come to mapping with a quad. If you have the bucks for the RTK, even better.
I was hoping the optics in the MAV 2 Pro would be even better but it seems like they are not geared at all for mapping.
I’m hoping that there is some software tweaking to come that might improve things but PIX4D and a few of the others are struggling to get good results.

Anyone else?

J:)

First of all I think the M2P is the best UAV that the DJI company has ever released - by a mile. I’ve had P3A, P4, P4P, MP1, INSPIRE PRO V2 WITH X5, A2’s, A3’s, and this little bird cuts cuts them all down. Stability, range, endurance, picture quality, feature set, price. Just outstanding. Most of our work is asset inspection and mapping.
The P4Pro is really the ducks nuts when it come to mapping with a quad. If you have the bucks for the RTK, even better.
I was hoping the optics in the MAV 2 Pro would be even better but it seems like they are not geared at all for mapping.
I’m hoping that there is some software tweaking to come that might improve things but PIX4D and a few of the others are struggling to get good results.

Anyone else?

J:)
I don't know any better, having only used my M2P and Drone Deploy.

But I did a survey of an industrial site which I'd just surveyed using EDM/Total Station, with a couple of RTK GCP's, and was blown away by just how good it was when I overlaid one on the other in CAD. Only about 200x200m site with buildings up to 12m high, but it was accurate to 75-100mm in X and Y at least, and that was my first attempt.

Would you regard that as a good, bad, or satisfactory result?

Those numbers are fine. My problems are image blur and incorrect photo tag positions.

It may be just PIX4D.... software...

Those numbers are fine. My problems are image blur and incorrect photo tag positions.

It may be just PIX4D.... software...
I use a high shutter speed (1/500 or better if poss), and always manually set focus to infinity using DJI Go4 before starting DD. Didn't do those two things on my first DD test and I was very disappointed!

But I'm sure you're already doing this so sounds like software, though I did hear that DD uses Pix4D behind the scenes, not sure if that's correct?

I use a high shutter speed (1/500 or better if poss), and always manually set focus to infinity using DJI Go4 before starting DD. Didn't do those two things on my first DD test and I was very disappointed!

But I'm sure you're already doing this so sounds like software, though I did hear that DD uses Pix4D behind the scenes, not sure if that's correct?
Hi, could you pls share how do you setup your workflow? What software and control app you use?
I just saw new firmware notes - they added waypoints, they say.

Hi, could you pls share how do you setup your workflow? What software and control app you use?
I just saw new firmware notes - they added waypoints, they say.
I use Drone Deploy.

Amazingly well integrated, from control app to the stitching process, and easy to use. Not cheap, I'd recommend signing up for a 30-day trial.

Reactions: DavidNDC
I use Drone Deploy.

Amazingly well integrated, from control app to the stitching process, and easy to use. Not cheap, I'd recommend signing up for a 30-day trial.
thx, i will look at it. i only played with this: https://www.opendronemap.org/ and it worked more or less reliably for my non-commercial little projects. i still do not have a proper license, and not sure if and when i can find time to get it all done...

Reactions: RogerMav
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pleopard