DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic 2 Pro (or Zoom) *.DAT Files

BudWalker - with your input, that points to some other unknown issue. Glad your getting the files, there's still hope. Its good news for anyone that has upgraded.

Here's what I'm running:

- App Version 4.3.12

- Aircraft Version 01.00.0300

- Remote Controller Version 01.00.0300

- Precise Fly (A/C) Version 01.00.01.14

- Precise Fly (for App) Version 01.00.01.14

- Basic Fly Safe Version 01.00.01.09

BudWalker - with your input, that points to some other unknown issue. Glad your getting the files, there's still hope. Its good news for anyone that has upgraded.

Here's what I'm running:

- App Version 4.3.12

I'm also using

I.e. I have exactly what you have.

Attachments

• 1554906010569.png
    1554906010569.png
    9.9 KB · Views: 13

Here's what I'm running:

- App Version 4.3.12

Are the txt logs being properly recorded, and do they indicate a DAT flight record index number?

txt files are being recorded in the /FlightRecords folder for each flight. I did run one through the programs Bud wrote and looked at the .csv file with the variable headers to see what all it had. It was fairly well populated. Since I've mainly worked with the *.DAT files was not sure if the .txt file contained all the data.

File Name: DJIFlightRecord_2019-03-10_[14-12-54].txt
File Size: 3,095 KB

Last edited:
Was considering trying to roll back the firmware this evening but with Bud's confirmation that he is running the same firmware versions that I am I and generating/recording the *.DAT files in the correct location on the IOS device, a roll back is not a solution.

Glad to hear Bud that you are running the latest firmware, meaning I can keep my waypoint functionality and possibly one day record *.DAT files for flight evaluation/analysis of my M2P.

Flew 2 flights this afternoon, NO *.DAT files

Successfully Refreshed the aircraft firmware using DJI Assistant 2 for Mavic

Flew 2 more flights, still NO *.DAT files

Did not refresh the remote controller yet.

On my Android, I have DAT files in:
Internal storage/dji/dji.go.v4/FlightRecords/MCDatFlightRecords

I'm using an iPad and the files do not exist in the area they are supposed to.

Last Friday, I had my friend connect my data cable and my Remote Controller to his Android device. Then he flew my M2P for about 3 minutes. He went right to the same folder you showed above (have a snap shot of it) and there were no *.dat files to be found from my M2P on his Android device.

Really thought there would be on his Android pad. Points back to the remote controller and drone. Also did a test where I connected my iPad and data cable to his Mavic Air remote controller and I flew his Mavic Air for a few minutes. Sure enough, there was a DAT file (like I'm looking for) created in the correct folder. Got home and I could use BudWalker's software and read the DAT file from his Mavic Air.

Flew 2 flights this afternoon, NO *.DAT files

Successfully Refreshed the aircraft firmware using DJI Assistant 2 for Mavic

Flew 2 more flights, still NO *.DAT files

Did not refresh the remote controller yet.

I looked at the txt logs - those are being created properly and include a DAT file data index. I can't think of any reason for it to be an aircraft or RC issue, but it looks like it must be one of them.

To me, there are two pieces of conflicting information.

The fact that the Go 4 App is not recording .DAT files but it records the .txt files from my M2P system. Therefore, telemetry data is being sent down from Drone to Controller and then hardwire (data cable) from controller to the iPad and stored. That sounds like a Go 4 App issue that is opening a .txt file and recording the data but not opening a .DAT file so the data is lost.

Conflict in trouble shooting scheme comes when my friend's Android tablet flew my data cable, my M2P remote controller, and M2P drone. He did not get any .DAT files created from my drone/RC/data cable using Android version of Go 4 App recorded on his Android tablet. He does get Mavic Air (his drone) recorded. To me this points to the remote controller and the drone since we see the same data files recorded and/or not recorded on a different device.

I looked on my iPad to see if there were any setting that might cause one file type to be recorded but another file type to be rejected (except for the fact my iPad and Go 4 app recorded friend's Mavic Air .DAT and .txt files). I did not notice anything when looking at iPad settings but could have over looked something.

Reasoning says there is a 3rd part of this puzzle that would tie all the actions together but evidently we don't have enough information on how things work (no way to go sniff data paths) to know what other direction to look for. We know that BudWalker's M2P is recording .DAT files so there is a missing element to point to the change/fix/solution.

Elusive little problem I have on my hands.

I came across this note I had made some time back (Oct '17 or after)
Note: If the log files are not visible or you're not able to find a specific log file that should be there, then install and run SD Refresh.
I don't know if it applies here or not.

Thanks for information. Looks like this fix works on the SD card.

The videos and pictures are getting recorded properly on the removable micro SD card I'm using. No problems there.

The data in question is what gets sent LIVE from the drone to the remote controller and then recorded on either the IOS device or Android device (I've tried both types) and stored with a file name extension .DAT

Appreciate the suggestion, thanks

So far, DJI engineers have responded twice now with solutions (this has been going on for 4 weeks). First being reinstall DJI GO 4 App. That did not work on either my iPad or iPhone. Also, Installing latest DJI GO 4 App on friend's Android tablet gave the same results, no *.DAT files recorded from my Mavic 2 Pro. The latest GO 4 App on both IOS devices and friend's Android will record the *.DAT files from friend's Mavic Air.

Second fix from DJI Engineers was a response saying "This is Normal" meaning not recording the *.DAT files to your IOS and Android device is normal in order to save space.

Responded back to DJI asking them to reconsider their last answer as that is defiantly not the case since several Mavic 2 Pro drone pilots are currently recording the *.DAT files on their systems. Have confirmed that the latest DJI firmware, latest DJI GO 4 App, and latest IOS device operating system software match what I am running with what they are running.

When I hear back from DJI, will post again. Hopefully this time they have provided a workable solution.

So far, DJI engineers have responded twice now with solutions (this has been going on for 4 weeks). First being reinstall DJI GO 4 App. That did not work on either my iPad or iPhone. Also, Installing latest DJI GO 4 App on friend's Android tablet gave the same results, no *.DAT files recorded from my Mavic 2 Pro. The latest GO 4 App on both IOS devices and friend's Android will record the *.DAT files from friend's Mavic Air.

Second fix from DJI Engineers was a response saying "This is Normal" meaning not recording the *.DAT files to your IOS and Android device is normal in order to save space.

Responded back to DJI asking them to reconsider their last answer as that is defiantly not the case since several Mavic 2 Pro drone pilots are currently recording the *.DAT files on their systems. Have confirmed that the latest DJI firmware, latest DJI GO 4 App, and latest IOS device operating system software match what I am running with what they are running.

When I hear back from DJI, will post again. Hopefully this time they have provided a workable solution.

Another option is to update the firmware to the new version that was just released, and see if that changes anything.

Reactions: sar104
Tests for both Aircraft/RC firmware update and GO 4 App update independently.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
UPDATE GO 4 APP:

Used the iPad as the control unit, did not Update GO 4 App, kept at version 4.3.12

Update iPhone to GO 4 App version 4.3.16

Kept aircraft and controller at older firmware version even though was notified that updates were available for aircraft/RC

Flew quick flights with both IOS devices. Checked with computer that control device (iPad) did not generate *.DAT files

Checked the iPhone with update GO 4 App, No *.DAT files were generated.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

UPDATE REMOTE CONTROLLER FIRMWARE:

iPad at 4.3.12
iPhone at 4.3.16

Same outcome, No *.DAT files generated on either the iPad or iPhone device
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

UPDATE AIRCRAFT FIRMWARE:

iPad at 4.3.12
iPhone at 4.3.16

Same outcome, No *.DAT files generated on either the iPad or iPhone device

RESULTS:

At this point, have an IOS device with OLD GO 4 App version 4.3.12 (iPad) and Aircraft & Remote Controller with updated firmware.

Have an IOS device (iPhone) with NEW GO 4 App version 4.3.16 and Aircraft & Remote Controller with updated firmware.

After conducting additional flights with above settings, neither IOS device recorded *.DAT files in folder ..\FlightRecords\MCDatFlightRecords

Current Versions

Versions 4-20-2019.JPG

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rarmstrong2580