DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic 2 Pro out of control, crashed into lake... help?

IMU and compass calibrated before the flight.
Are you saying the first night you did not do an imu and compass calibration but you did the imu and compass calibration the second night and then things went haywire?
I calibrated both before the initial flights the day before. Flew without incident at the same location

Sorry to hear about your loss.
Hope @sar104 can help you pinpoint the problem that occured and you may probably settle with DJI after on.

Good luck, really like to know, what happened.

Thank you! DJI confirmed this morning that it was indeed a warranty issue, and they’re replacing the M2P. However, they wouldn’t really say what happened or what caused the unusual behavior. I’m still very interested to see what happened, definitively, because like a few of us have said, something like this happening and hitting people/property/god forbid my little cousins tubing on the lake, this could cause real damage and/or injury.

Thank you guys, again!

@codaroommedia
Well, at least a fast and satisfying reply by DJI.
Hope you regain confidence soon again with your replacement - I really would like to know, what caused this issue. Hope you keep us updated if anything turns out.

@codaroommedia
Well, at least a fast and satisfying reply by DJI.
Hope you regain confidence soon again with your replacement - I really would like to know, what caused this issue. Hope you keep us updated if anything turns out.
i do not quite agree with a lot of FAA recent legislature - but the part with safety regulations they have is still the best available guideline to follow and they have good reasons behind every word of it.
you got to be very sure about the quality of the product before you want to fly it over somebody else`s property and you better know how it functions and be sure you have safeguards. or have enough statistical data about how it functions to be sure about it. new mavic 2 does not have either, yet. all i had so far was one unexpected emergency landing due to the wind, but, i was able to intercept it. some others posted here samples where they could not. it is not a reason to panic, just, one more thing to be aware about.
same as, as it was shown here - the chance for it to fire up into the sky and drop down dead. on ardupilot code something like that could have been caused by a sudden prop failure that raises level of controller vibrations over the roof, so it fools the logic to give max amperage to ESCs, so it goes up, is DJI doing same? who knows. i do not even know if they have vibrations data available in the logs - did not see/find it yet.

@paulatkin73
Indeed, bad examples always stick out way more than all the quiet, no issue private flights by dozens.

I do have to say, that FAA regulations seem quite obvious and understandable from my European point of view and you guys are foremost technically supported.
Here in Austria, I am literally unable to legally fly without special permission over build up area, which needs to be handed in way before any flight to the respective agency. The Mavic 2 Pro is not considered fail-safe due to the lack of redudant systems, starting being a quadcopter only. And certainly this is true and the past showed, that people in general cannot estimate their actions or there consequences properly. But no incident has been reported due to a technical problem but an operator one.

So one might be affected as well although they do care.
But that concept is certainly not limited to drone flying but universal in life as I have experienced. ;)

@sar104 Can you help our new member out?

Sorry for the delay - I was on a transatlantic flight with a broken internet connection.

This is a strange one. The problem began very suddenly at around 321 seconds, when both IMUs recorded what looks like an unphysically large negative y axis (to the left) acceleration, and applied a fairly extreme right roll to attempt to correct it. Then everything went south, figuratively speaking. This needs some more in depth analysis.

Thank you! DJI confirmed this morning that it was indeed a warranty issue, and they’re replacing the M2P. However, they wouldn’t really say what happened or what caused the unusual behavior. I’m still very interested to see what happened, definitively, because like a few of us have said, something like this happening and hitting people/property/god forbid my little cousins tubing on the lake, this could cause real damage and/or injury.

Thank you guys, again!

That sounds appropriate. I'm still curious whether this was a hardware or a firmware problem - I haven't seen quite that sequence of data problems in any previous incident.

Reactions: Brandaloo
Sorry for the delay - I was on a transatlantic flight with a broken internet connection.
How could you ... ?
As always, great plot to see what happened now, really eager to know, if the mystery can be lifted, what the reason behind was.

It kills me to not know...I always get this thought when i read the drone flew great, no problems...then a imu and or compass calibration was done then the drone flips out and crashes... I wonder and I may never know if and I mean if the drone did not get those calibrations would the drone have crashed...man that irks me...

I'm not convinced that this was a compass problem.

Don't know if this contributes.... Firstly, I am a new flyer. I've NEVER flown a drone in my life,... until now. Purchased a Mavic 2 Zoom, with accessory package. Flown it at home. (Went thru 3 batteries and took some beach pictures that were kind of far away.)

Brought it to work the next day, which is approx. 25 miles away, and tried to fly it there. Received an error - something about magnetic error?.. 'I think?' Went thru re-calibrating the compass without any problems. Then, had to do the same with the IMU. Attempted 3 times, in 3 different locations, that were approx. 100 feet apart. It failed on all 3 attempts. On the 4th try, it succeeded. (Remote showed 11 GPS Satellites acquired.)

Next, I got a prompt that an RTH was acquired when I utilized the 'Smart Controller' to auto take off. M2Z hovered about 4 feet. Then, it started to 'slightly' move left and right. I took it to a higher altitude because surrounding obstacles were at a 10 foot radius of it flying left and right. Flew the drone away from me at about 50 feet, and released all controls. Unit hovered, but still continued to move laterally sideways. Then, I utilized the 'RTH' function. Drone flew back to me, but was going to collide with the building that was about 15 feet away from take-off. I think that the controller starting beeping?, so I panicked and hit the 'RTH' button, 'up-down, cancel' button, and moved the left stick backwards. Unit hovered with controller constantly beeping about the building in front. I turned the drone away from the building, moved forward, and manually landed. Just out of curiosity, I did another auto take-off. My controller notified my about a new 'RTH' location and to check my map?

I landed and quit for the day. Today, (the next day,) I re-calibrated the IMU and Compass at home. Successfully completed on first attempt. Will try to fly it, but am quite nervous since yesterday.

Sorry for all of the details. Just thought that it may help if anyone finds a similar situation after travelling 25 miles, re-calibrating the IMU (with failure attempts), and finding their unit acting abnormally.
Jay

A I understand it,

Traveling a distance from last flight will trigger a compass calibration request, however the controller will show "magnetic interference", This is an issue with DJI's terminology as most likely the drone doesn't have mag interference (which you can easily check by looking at the compass display). So the compass calibration request may be normal, (I thought the distance was 50 miles before it triggered it, but I have had request it after 30 miles from last flight).

Not sure why it wanted an IMU calibration as you should really only need this once, at least I have never needed to recalibrate the IMU's. The actual process with the Smart Controller I believe has the correct sequence of moves for the drone, where as DJIGO4 on iOS device had an error in the sequence. Not sure if this was ever fixed with an update to DJIGO4.

Paul C

Drone is not really aware about previous flight location when you prepare it for a next one. Mag interference is usually local to the drone's starting location - typically due to proximity to something metal.

It’s been pointed out to me that if the M2 Pro is launched more than 50 miles from its previous location it will ask for a compass calibration. It does this by giving a magnetic interference error on main screen. However the compass is fine no magnetic interference but DJIGO4 is going to ask for a calibration.

So the drone or DJIGO4 must know you have moved over 50 miles.

I have M2 Pros and both exhibit this error if I have moved over 50 miles from my last flight.

Issue was driving me nuts as I knew I did not have anything metal near the drone to cause magnetic interference.

Paul C

What were the motor speeds like before/during the start of the incident? If the drone experienced negative g force, and actually ascended without significant rev up of motors, surely it must be an external physical force that was lifting/pushing it up. Otherwise it must be an invisible UFO applying tractor beam trying to kidnap it and failed.

Reactions: BudWalker
Drone is not really aware about previous flight location when you prepare it for a next one. Mag interference is usually local to the drone's starting location - typically due to proximity to something metal.

The drone is completely aware of the location of the previous flight, and as soon as it gets a GPS position on startup it will prompt for a compass calibration if it has moved more than 50 km.

Only smoking gun I can see is motors powering up at 320.6 despite no throttle input, then big elevation change, then this in the log:

324.130 : 17931 [L-FDI][CTRL]: fault on , height_ctrl_fail
324.150 : 17932 [L-RC]craft ctrl failed!!!

..so could be it realized by monitoring its commands vs what the IMU sees that undemanded throttle was happening?

The drone is completely aware of the location of the previous flight, and as soon as it gets a GPS position on startup it will prompt for a compass calibration if it has moved more than 50 km.
did not prompt me after 38miles and 75 miles drives. but, if it does - it does. just not mine.

did not prompt me after 38miles and 75 miles drives. but, if it does - it does. just not mine.

There have been a few confirmed examples of Mavic 2s that don't request recalibration based on either time or distance. Those not requesting at 30 day intervals appear to be because the last-calibrated date is set far in the future. I haven't seen the DAT files for aircraft not requesting based on distance - you should take a look at the event stream and see what it reports.

Reactions: charliesRig
There have been a few confirmed examples of Mavic 2s that don't request recalibration based on either time or distance. Those not requesting at 30 day intervals appear to be because the last-calibrated date is set far in the future. I haven't seen the DAT files for aircraft not requesting based on distance - you should take a look at the event stream and see what it reports.
interesting stuff. i will have a trip to vermont soon, will try to mark the first log file to look at it later. only time i had to do a compass calibration was on the new zoom body as it had original interference level quite high, out of the box - after calibration it did not ask for anything ever again, on any of my trips.

it is difficult to think why it would ask for calibration after travel, as mag geo-correction is typically a dictionary value. but, go figure.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BHU