DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic 2 Pro Pics not Sharp ?

If I told you what I am having so much trouble trying to understand you would laugh for sure

I use a Nikon D850, so I know what excellent quality photos look like. Because I am so pleased with my Mavic 2 Pro photos I am selling my Inspire 2.
The M2P has copped a caning here on image quality from quite a few punters. I don't get it... the reality is it will never perform like your D850 but try to get aerial pics with that without chartering and aircraft.
I'm a lone time photographer (longer than I care to admit) and an ex professional. For my purpose the M2P is brilliant.

Send me a PM, I promise I won’t laugh.

KB
I cant figure out how to send a Pm on here . I have been busy looking at all of you pictures on your website . I will talk to you tomorrow after work . Nice collection of pictures ! I enjoyed looking at them .

I own a Canon 5D mbk III and I understand why it has a better IQ than the M2P. I also understand the limitations of trying to strap it to a drone.

The M2P is still a hugely capable device though and in a class of one for the overall package.

Nice collection of pictures ! I enjoyed looking at them .

Angel: Thanks for the kind words on the photo gallery. I started putting images on the Web not long after getting my first cable connection to the Internet and the reason was, I got tired of emailing JPG's to family and friends.

Not sure what galleries you were viewing but there are over 5,000 photos in all. Glad you enjoyed the browsing.

KB

Angel: Thanks for the kind words on the photo gallery. I started putting images on the Web not long after getting my first cable connection to the Internet and the reason was, I got tired of emailing JPG's to family and friends.

Not sure what galleries you were viewing but there are over 5,000 photos in all. Glad you enjoyed the browsing.

KB
I looked at them for several hours I will be back to see the rest !

Not for the P4Pro , its best sharpness is at ISO 500 according to the latest test. Have a look for yourself.

Great video on the M2 PRO vs P4Pro camera, in depth

I'm sorry but that is simply not true, but there is more to it than that. All else equal, the best IQ from the 1" Sony sensor (or any other) is at it's native base ISO where it can reach full well capacity. It has to do with how image sensors work, not anything to do with DJi or the drones themselves. In the case of the P4P where it's fixed to ISO 500 in D-Log, that is definitely not where that sensor is technically capable of it's best IQ, but if it is an ISO-less sensor (it might be I haven't checked), it won't matter as much depending on how it's being done.

The sensor actually has absolutely nothing to do with sharpness beyond the choice of OLPF which is very minor. The sensor is not the culprit of an image that is not sharp. You can put a garbage lens or an amazing lens in front of a 1" sensor and get the predictable results. The sensor also has nothing to do with the bad color (which isn't that bad IMO), that is entirely the processing and you can control all of that in post.

Your image settings look OK based on the EXIF data.

Were you trying to pick the focus or did you lock it to infinity?

The first one looks slightly out of focus, the boat area (what I imagine is the subject) is pretty sharp, but the whites are blown which is not the sensor's fault.That second image actually looks quite good at 100%, but is underexposed by probably 0.7EV which isn't helping anything.

I'm also guessing those are straight out of camera JPEGs rather than processed RAW files, so you are at the mercy of DJI's JPEG engine which is not nearly as good as what you might be used to with other cameras like a Sony RX100 1-6 or Nikon 1 series that share that 1" Sony sensor.

What you need to do is some controlled testing. Can you also post some samples (at similar distances and camera settings) with your other 1" sensor cameras that you think are a lot better?

Also if you're scrutinizing the corners, a lens that wide is not going to have perfect corners. I have $2,000 DSLR lenses that don't look much better in the extreme corners.

I'd suggest not giving up yet - at least not until you've done some controlled testing. And don't expect it to put out the same image quality as something like a Sony RX100 which has a much better lens. The still image quality from the M2P is exponentially better than the Air or original Mavic Pro.

I agree, I shoot with a Cannon EF 17-40mm on a full frame body; and wide angle lenses will never be as sharp as a prime lens. The pics I have seen from my Mavic 2 Pro are more than I expected.

Reactions: kilomikebravo
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kclarke2929