DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic 2 Pro Pics not Sharp ?

..then told I'm complaining for the sake of it.

John: My sincere apologies that you misinterpreted what I said, (although reading it again now, I can see how you could,) that comment about complainers was by no means directed at you.

If you spend a month reading these forums daily, you'll get a sense for what I mean when I say "complainers." Just never happy no matter what. So again, my apologies.

But SAR does make some valid points and it would be easy to share the image(s) and flight data if you were interested. That's the only way to get to the root of a M2 problem and even then, sometimes it's still a mystery.

But, without factual data to work with be it a .DNG file(s) or flight data, can you really expect to get help here? These are the things all these very smart people need TO help and that is why they are asking.

KB

At first I thought this must be high iso but it's pretty much optimal settings, it's iso 100, F3.2 and 1/50 shutter speed and it's a raw file processed with default settings (the OOC jpeg looks similar) to avoid any issue of Mavic settings.

I'm wondering whether this is a fault with my unit or this is typical of Mavic Pro 2 quality? The drone seems to be behaving fine otherwise,

Try a higher shutter speed...

Try a higher shutter speed...

Thanks for the suggestion, I wasn't considering the motion of the trees and only thinking of the stabilised Mavic camera. Or do you have a different reason for recommending the higher shutter speed?

I can't test during the day so I've taken it out tonight and tried some shots and the results look ok particularly given it was tougher circumstances although flatter lighting. I tried some lens charts but they're tricky to use with the Mavic due to the focus range without printing much larger although the kitchen floor seems to work well:

https://photos.smugmug.com/Drone-Photos/i-fXjBBTz/0/57083ca4/XL/DJI_0506-XL.jpg

Cropped image:

DJI_0506-2-XL.jpg

I need to do some more experimenting with the low sun.

John

I also have a phantom 4 pro and i think the cameras are pretty comparable . But i think the mavic is much more stable in a hover on a windy day .

I live in the green ranch house in the center of the image . I do almost all my flying off the back deck

I also have a phantom 4 pro and i think the cameras are pretty comparable . But i think the mavic is much more stable in a hover on a windy day .

I agree with you completely, check this comparison I did. Mavic 2 has a rock-solid hover.

Theres a thread I put up where the M2 Pro is tested at all different ISO against the P4Pro. The sharpest image for the M2 Pro is ISO 100 F5.6, plus 1 on sharpness

Theres a thread I put up where the M2 Pro is tested at all different ISO against the P4Pro. The sharpest image for the M2 Pro is ISO 100 F5.6, plus 1 on sharpness

After F4, diffraction starts to degrade the image of the 20MP 1" sensors. In simplest terms, the information intended for a single pixel begins to spill over onto adjacent pixels after F4. This is a characteristic of the pixel size on the sensor, not a fault of the Mavic 2 Pro. Everyone will have different personal tolerances for acceptable sharpness though.

But yes, ISO 100 will always be best (or whatever the base ISO is) regardless of what sensor or camera you have if you are going for maximum image quality.

Reactions: angell
Took this tonight ISO 100 F 2.8 6 second shutter . No post straight from my mavic card

After F4, diffraction starts to degrade the image of the 20MP 1" sensors. In simplest terms, the information intended for a single pixel begins to spill over onto adjacent pixels after F4. This is a characteristic of the pixel size on the sensor, not a fault of the Mavic 2 Pro. Everyone will have different personal tolerances for acceptable sharpness though.

But yes, ISO 100 will always be best (or whatever the base ISO is) regardless of what sensor or camera you have if you are going for maximum image quality.

Not for the P4Pro , its best sharpness is at ISO 500 according to the latest test. Have a look for yourself.

Great video on the M2 PRO vs P4Pro camera, in depth

Incorrect. Tom tested the P4P at 500 iso as that is the minimum iso it will go to.
If Tom thinks that, he doesn't know much.
Perhaps he was using D-Log mode which is limited to 500 ISO.

According to the specs:
ISO Range Video:
100 - 3200 (Auto)
100 - 6400 (Manual)
Photo:
100 - 3200 (Auto)
100- 12800 (Manual)

Reactions: angell

According to the specs:
ISO Range Video:
100 - 3200 (Auto)
100 - 6400 (Manual)
Photo:
100 - 3200 (Auto)
100- 12800 (Manual)

He was indeed using d-log to match the 2 Pro.

According to the specs:
ISO Range Video:
100 - 3200 (Auto)
100 - 6400 (Manual)
Photo:
100 - 3200 (Auto)
100- 12800 (Manual)
very well said lol

No - you haven't provided any answers at all. You haven't said how you processed the file and keep referring to default settings. There are no default settings to process RAW. You could have posted the RAW image. You could, at least, have posted a full-resolution image. As I said - it looks out of focus but since it's just a low-resolution screen grab, how do you expect anyone to help you?
For what its worth I have learned a lot more about photography just listening to you guys . I didnt know anything before . Now I am really getting interested in learning how to better use my camera . I get so frustrated just trying to use a photo processing program . Complicated as hell to me

Angel: In today’s world, the answer to your frustration is in YouTube videos. It will take time, no question about that but, if you take it one step at a time starting with the basics, it won’t take you that long before you are color correcting images with ease. Most people in this forum have been where you are and now it is second nature to many. Hang in there, you will be glad you did.

KB

Reactions: Spike151

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bsplum