DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic 2 Pro Plummeted into the Ocean

**** bro! So sorry to hear that. I hope you have insurance to get a replacement or at least compensated. I have found using aftermarket props, you stated it had carbon fiber, to be a gamble. Most people i know, myself included, just stick with the OEM's. Be glad that only the craft was lost and nobody was injured and no property was damaged. Hopefully no fish try to eat it, lol. Anywho, take care, stay safe, and fly it like you stole it!

Reactions: SXViper03
Google search Scuba or dive shop in your area for a diver. But if there are tides/current, it has probably moved some distance.

If a new pilot, why were you flying near 200 people? Now there are 200 people who think drones are potentially unsafe.
Don't mean to scold, but I always fly where there's no one around. ESPECIALLY when I was first learning.

Are you sure you heard the CLICK when you attached props?

Was the unit far enough away that you might not have seen a bird strike?

I tried to learn everything I could before my first flight. Even consulted with an experienced pal for some basic mentoring.

My first flights were in flat open areas with no one around. Best of luck with your next aircraft!

One other thing to consider: the altitude indicator has some inaccuracies, as much as 10ft. So if you were judging your altitude above water based on the display, you may have been much closer to the surface than you thought.

The downward sensor is more accurate on land, but may give false readings, if any, over water.

Google search Scuba or dive shop in your area for a diver. But if there are tides/current, it has probably moved some distance.

If a new pilot, why were you flying near 200 people? Now there are 200 people who think drones are potentially unsafe.
Don't mean to scold, but I always fly where there's no one around. ESPECIALLY when I was first learning.

Are you sure you heard the CLICK when you attached props?

Was the unit far enough away that you might not have seen a bird strike?

I tried to learn everything I could before my first flight. Even consulted with an experienced pal for some basic mentoring.

My first flights were in flat open areas with no one around. Best of luck with your next aircraft!
Yep. I read the “crash/flyaway“ thread at least a couple times a week

Sorry i'm just now getting back to your replies. Thank you all for commenting and giving me your thoughts. I did have aftermarket carbon fiber props not "wings". My bad on the lingo. I don't believe one snapped, however, because I had a visual sightline with the drone as it was only about 50m from me. The only reason the drone couldn't be retrieved was because I was about 60ft above it standing on a pier and the area is a strictly enforced no diving area (not to mention it's a bustling hot spot for juvenile sharks). I'm hoping DJI will at least give me a reduced price given the circumstances, but for the next drone, any time I'm flying over water I'm going to install some water landing gear so even if it lands upside down, at least it will float and I can activate my care plan

Screen Shot 2020-08-20 at 7.00.45 AM.png

Screen Shot 2020-08-20 at 7.01.02 AM.png

You are not likely to be putting anyone else at risk flying over open water so that becomes a big plus. I guess it comes down to is the reason worth the risk.
It would be nice if DJI would change their policy in a case like this. I would think that they could determine the whether the drone operator was flying an airworthy drone from it's recent data.
He already said he was using aftermarket props, Airworthy drone, not in Dji's eyes.

Sorry to hear about your loss. For your next drone check out drone-retriever. com.
I use their product whenever flying over water. Great stress reliever.
Wow. That’s cool. So you rinse out the drone soak it in meths and then bake on low for 30 mins. Feels a bit weird.

So any third-party part attached to the drone is going to void any kind of warranty?

If your flying over water a lot, you have to decide if DJI Refresh is right for you. Its been really really hard to get insurance in Australia, but some new players have entered the market and I found coverage for about $70/month. It would be half that without public liability but I do roof insurance claims on the side so I need it. They cover everything, theft, mechanical failure, pilot error etc etc etc.

So any third-party part attached to the drone is going to void any kind of warranty?

Not every third party accessory...like a ND Filter and such...but a main component that's only job is to keep the aircraft in flight...you betcha. ;) DJI has their very own engineering section in what they call their propulsion department, They design their own ESC's and Motors and Props with a high degree of efficiency and the whole system works as a "Team" to specs they design and use firmware to acheive utmost specs of operation. When you replace or modify the "Team" you get fired :p (Lose your warranty).

Quite simply like about any other thing you buy, don't modify it while under warranty or if you do that is on you ;) I personally fly MAS props on my 3 month old M2Z, but I trust the company and have been flying their props for 30 years :)

Last edited:
. You should always have that bit of anxiety in the back of your head, it is what will keep you sharp and prepared for any event...it is only when you lose that fear, that bad things will happen more often than not.;)

That's good to know ... I have a heightened sense of anxiety EVERY time I fly. My heart rate shoots up to near 100bpm the entire time. Probably 120 when that **** beeping goes off. ;)

That's good to know ... I have a heightened sense of anxiety EVERY time I fly. My heart rate shoots up to near 100bpm the entire time. Probably 120 when that **** beeping goes off. ;)
Okay that's probably a bit too much, how long have you been flying? You have got to learn to trust your aircraft and your skills more...your gonna have a stroke there dude :) Which Beeping? Low battery? Turn on your smart RTH and let it fly home and take a breather man ;)

I use the drone retriever on my M2P. The only place I am comfortable attaching it is on the bottom, but It blocks the bottom sensors,. A few times, the drone does not want to descend, thinking that the device is an obstacle. Continued down throttle, or switching to sport mode will over ride that if it happens. On the other hand, it makes hand catching extremely easy.
Happily, No baths for the drone yet. But the peace of mind is worth the price of admission. Also, I have the state farm insurance. $60 a year No deductible Again, well worth the price of admission.,
Just curious Sir , Just looking at the video of the drone retreiver at the start of this thread it looks like a heavy piece of kit . What kind of weight would it add to my MA2 if I was to purchase one?

Just curious Sir , Just looking at the video of the drone retreiver at the start of this thread it looks like a heavy piece of kit . What kind of weight would it add to my MA2 if I was to purchase one?

You could just go to website and see Specs :p Allow me, I visited Cork when I was in the Marines...TOoooo Many good times there...cheers.

Attachments

• Drone-R.jpg
    Drone-R.jpg
    116.8 KB · Views: 18
Reactions: Mazdaman323lx
It is a bit heavy. The manufacturer can give u the weight. My M2P handles like its not there. I am sure it reduces flight time and speed but i havent quantified it, nor really noticed it

Hey that drone life vest by drone-retriever.com has worked for me. Been flying with it for water flights. Easily added when needed and removed for ground flights. Recently got caught in a down pour and was concerned that it might activate from the rain. After landing I dried everything and checked the trigger device. No water got to the trigger device. It looked exactly like the new spare trigger device they provide. I guess it needs direct contact with the water to work.
Two weeks later I ran out of power 20 feet from shore while trying to make it back. The device worked and I was able to retrieve. Unfortunately I did not take the time learn and prepare if it went into the water according to the website. I now have a refurbished drone and plastic bags and methanol just incase this happens again. Check out there website as they have some very good insight into water events.

What is it suppose to do, keep the drone on the surface of the water and mostly dry so that you can retrieve it?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rarmstrong2580