DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic 2 Pro Remote Controller worth it?

Rezosystems

Reactions
I mistakenly bought a Mavic 2, only to find out it does not support "Waypoints".

I am now shopping for a replacement, and in the "Pro" version, is the controller worth the extra $$$$ ?

Assuming you mean the Smart Controller (the M2P comes with the standard controller), that's really up to you. There are pros and cons.

I personally decided on just the standard, which I use with a 9" tablet.

One reason is because I feel that the superior WAYPOINT Mission application is LITCHI. They've been doing it longer than DJI, so it's more mature, feature laden, with fewer bugs.

If you are interested in LITCHI, then you might want to ask current Smart Controller owners have successfully installed it on their SC. I understand there are problems with that.

Chris

Edit: it's possible that LITCH will work on the Mavic 2 non-pro, even if the DJI controller app does not. LITCHI uses the DJI SDK in developing their app. But at least with the M2P, you will also get waypoints with DJI Go 4.

Reactions: vindibona1
Litchi WILL work
Edit: it's possible that LITCH will work on the Mavic 2 non-pro, even if the DJI controller app does not. LITCHI uses the DJI SDK in developing their app. But at least with the M2P, you will also get waypoints with DJI Go 4.
Assuming that the OP has the standard Mavic 2 controller, Litchi WILL work with it. I think the cost is around $23. Not only can you create waypoints, you can pre-program them in your computer and scout missions before leaving home. IMO it's one of the cheapest and best upgrades you can get for an M2. Also Dronelink will work, but the learning curve is very steep.

Just for fun, here are two screenshots of Litch's mission planning. The top one shows the waypoints. The bottom image is a still snapshot of a preview what you might see from the planned mission that sits above it. FWIW I have not yet flown this mission, but is in my folder so that when the time is right it is right there. I have other missions pre-scouted in Litchi Mission Hub as well.

LitchiRiverMission.jpg

Last edited:
I mistakenly bought a Mavic 2, only to find out it does not support "Waypoints".

I am now shopping for a replacement, and in the "Pro" version, is the controller worth the extra $$$$ ?
Not sure what it is your saying the Mavic 2 only comes (Sans Enterprise) in two models the Pro and the Zoom, both have waypoints out of the box.

Reactions: DanMan32
Litchi works well with my SC. Just have to install via Amazon.
No, no you don't. Somewhat easier for some I guess, But you don't "have" to. You can install google play services and google play store and do it that way. ;)

Reactions: sonof40
Assuming you mean the Smart Controller (the M2P comes with the standard controller), that's really up to you. There are pros and cons.

I personally decided on just the standard, which I use with a 9" tablet.

One reason is because I feel that the superior WAYPOINT Mission application is LITCHI. They've been doing it longer than DJI, so it's more mature, feature laden, with fewer bugs.

If you are interested in LITCHI, then you might want to ask current Smart Controller owners have successfully installed it on their SC. I understand there are problems with that.

Chris

Litchi works great on the Smart Controller. I downloaded it from the Amazon appstore right on the Smart Controller and installed it (cost $25 usd). There were a couple of minor issues that took me a little while to figure out, but it works perfectly. Being able to create waypoint missions online ahead of time and then just load them when you want to fly is incredible. I'm still learning all the features, but it is a very well designed program.

Not sure what it is your saying the Mavic 2 only comes (Sans Enterprise) in two models the Pro and the Zoom, both have waypoints out of the box.
I was going to say the same thing.
M2Z and M2P are the same bird, just different camera. You can even interchange the camera.

And it is possible to get the M2 with SC instead of the RC1. Saves you about $300.

DJI has had waypoints as far back as P3 but was rather simple and you had to fly the route to set the waypoints. Litchi improved upon it.

Reactions: gulfstream4
I was going to say the same thing.
M2Z and M2P are the same bird, just different camera. You can even interchange the camera.

And it is possible to get the M2 with SC instead of the RC1. Saves you about $300.

DJI has had waypoints as far back as P3 but was rather simple and you had to fly the route to set the waypoints. Litchi improved upon it.
RC1 has not been produced or sold by DJI for quite a while. RC2 is available and both are cheaper than the SC.

I have a Mavic Mini with an 8" tablet and like it. The 8" tablet is much easier to see than using a phone, but in the bright Florida sun, even the bright tablet gets washed out. Also, the tablet throws the balance of the controller off quite a bit.

When I bought my Mavic 2 Pro, I went ahead and bought the bundle with the smart controller. I really like the smart controller a lot. The screen is big, and in the bright Florida sun, I can still see the screen with no problem. It is a good size for holding, and I especially like not having to set up a phone/tablet display before flying. In my opinion, it's a great controller.

The SC is expensive, there is no question about it. But if you buy it in a bundle, you only pay $400 for the controller instead of $700. That is why I decided to get it, and for me, it was a great decision. I like my MM as much as I like my M2P, but I actually prefer flying the M2P over the MM because of the smart controller, for no other reason. If you can afford it, I highly recommend it.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tyroe1998