DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic 2 Pro Speed Run - 78.5 MPH

Is Atti mode a software hack
Some may call it a 'hack', but I look at it simply as a known modification to the AC firmware. Basically, using a certain earlier version of DJI Assistant 2, you are able to adjust and/or change certain peramiters, one of which is remapping the flight mode selector switch. The stock options are 'P', 'S', and 'T'. T is for Tripod Mode, and since you can also select this mode through DJI Go4 while flying, I opted to make the 'T' selection ATTI Mode.

Here is a link to a thread you may find helpful. Mavic 2 Atti mode

If you perform the mode and no longer want it, all you have to do is go back in and change it to stock, or simply refresh the firmware.

Last edited:
Reactions: patthronson
nice...I love it.
good job flying!

I thought ATTi mode slowed the drone down?
Thank you!

ATTI Mode simply maintains the copter's attitude and altitude, but it does not maintain its position like the other modes. This means that the copter will just coast rather than stop when you go neutral on the sticks, and if there is any wind, it will eventually coast at the speed and direction of it, all of which can involve some very active piloting... The M2's max speed in Sport Mode is 72 KPH or around 45 MPH, and if I did this flight in Sport Mode, that is about all I would have gotten. In ATTI Mode, there is no max speed really, but you are limited by a maximum bank angle, as this is necessary for the copter to maintain its attitude.

It's a shame really that DJI took away ATTI Mode in the M2 - and possibly earlier Mavics as well, I'm not sure. All of the Phantom 4 series had this as a stock selection on the remote, and other than having fun with it doing speed runs in the wind, it can also serve as a great way to get smooth coasting shots where all you have to worry about is maybe a bit of Yaw or up and down movements. It does take getting used to though, and lots of practice, but even on the M2, if enough compass errors are generated in flight, it will auto switch to ATTI. Then what, if you have never flown in this mode...? :oops:

Reactions: RTKD
This thread has generated some discussion, and because of this, I wanted to add some other thoughts, especially if doing speed runs becomes an interest of others. There are three times that wind can have a very serious impact on a small UAV - takeoff, inflight, and landing - and I don't want someone to lose their drone.

The initial panning screen with the ATIS was my iPhone. When the copter took off though, it was from behind a car that blocked it from the wind, so let's start with takeoff. Do not takeoff, other than maybe a hand launch, with direct, heavy winds. It is possible - and probable that day - that the copter will flip over as it first ascends because the wind velocity overwhelms the IMU. That's never fun, and easily avoided with a car or wall or whatever. Worst case, hand launch.

In flight, the bottom line is, if the wind speed exceeds the aircraft's capable forward speed, that aircraft is going to go backwards. With any UAV, know what its capabilities are, and allow for some wiggle room. Also, if you go screaming by your Home Point in ATTI Mode at 80 MPH, and you have low battery, keep in mind that you now have to go back upwind to get home, and it can cover some ground very fast at those speeds.

Landing was the most challenging for me that day. I always hand catch, and this was the first time I considered putting on gloves. The copter was all over the place, and I think a ground landing could have easily resulted in a prop strike.

Just things to consider while pushing the envelope.

thats pretty ( Mod Removed Language) fast .i haven,t figured out what i would need such speed for but just like an old chevrolet with the wind behind you and down hill it can haul lol

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Brockrock
The winds were fairly strong in my area yesterday afternoon, and I could not resist doing several speed runs with my M2P. Each outbound flight, I stayed low over the water - directly into the wind - until approximately one mile away, and then I performed a climbing turn towards home followed by switching to ATTI Mode. Included are Screen Recordings to show telemetry, and all of the flight clips are in real time. The fastest speed I reached was 78.5 MPH, which is also what is reported as Top Speed in GO4... For me, it's a personal best.

If you are not familiar with GO4, when the Screen Recordings show, the UAV speed is shown in MPH on the lower left. I am also aware that my camera settings were not ideal as I used Auto without an ND Filter, but these flights were all about speed.

I’m
The winds were fairly strong in my area yesterday afternoon, and I could not resist doing several speed runs with my M2P. Each outbound flight, I stayed low over the water - directly into the wind - until approximately one mile away, and then I performed a climbing turn towards home followed by switching to ATTI Mode. Included are Screen Recordings to show telemetry, and all of the flight clips are in real time. The fastest speed I reached was 78.5 MPH, which is also what is reported as Top Speed in GO4... For me, it's a personal best.

If you are not familiar with GO4, when the Screen Recordings show, the UAV speed is shown in MPH on the lower left. I am also aware that my camera settings were not ideal as I used Auto without an ND Filter, but these flights were all about speed.

Really liked that video. Besides the bravery involved- shared credit between pilot and drone- I was impressed by how the American flag showed that you picked the dead direct down range wind direction. Why Atti mode tho?

Reactions: Brockrock
I was impressed by how the American flag showed . . .x

I meant to ask ! @Brockrock that half mast flag, due to Coronavirus victims there ?

Why Atti mode tho?

The M2's max speed in Sport Mode is 72 KPH or around 45 MPH, and if I did this flight in Sport Mode, that is about all I would have gotten. In ATTI Mode, there is no max speed really, but you are limited by a maximum bank angle, as this is necessary for the copter to maintain its attitude.

Good question. I do not know if ATTI is faster than Sports mode. Maybe someone else can chime in. I do not use Sports mode for another reason however. In ATTI mode, when you let off the gas, it coasts with the wind and momentum. In Sports mode, it stops on a dime, attempting to maintain position. This rapid stop from very high speed is tough on the UAV, but in ATTI, you can overfly and do a 180 in the coast, and then gently throttle up yourself in order to stop. Then into P mode, and then catch the bugger in your hand..
Gotta try that. New to hand landing. Tho I still have 10 fingers!

Thank you!

ATTI Mode simply maintains the copter's attitude and altitude, but it does not maintain its position like the other modes. This means that the copter will just coast rather than stop when you go neutral on the sticks, and if there is any wind, it will eventually coast at the speed and direction of it, all of which can involve some very active piloting... The M2's max speed in Sport Mode is 72 KPH or around 45 MPH, and if I did this flight in Sport Mode, that is about all I would have gotten. In ATTI Mode, there is no max speed really, but you are limited by a maximum bank angle, as this is necessary for the copter to maintain its attitude.

It's a shame really that DJI took away ATTI Mode in the M2 - and possibly earlier Mavics as well, I'm not sure. All of the Phantom 4 series had this as a stock selection on the remote, and other than having fun with it doing speed runs in the wind, it can also serve as a great way to get smooth coasting shots where all you have to worry about is maybe a bit of Yaw or up and down movements. It does take getting used to though, and lots of practice, but even on the M2, if enough compass errors are generated in flight, it will auto switch to ATTI. Then what, if you have never flown in this mode...? :oops:
I think in Atti mode there is no relative ground speed. With GPS ground speed can be/is governed.

And i was thinking i had the world record for the fastest mavic pro2 your video looks like mine only thing is you beat my top speed both my top speeds 72mph on this site but my personal best is 76.6 go4 top speed i started a thread on this a month or two ago can you post this there or is that asking to much what ever you decide im gonna beat your top speed cuz im the fastest falcon on the block now i got some competition

And i was thinking i had the world record for the fastest mavic pro2 your video looks like mine only thing is you beat my top speed both my top speeds 72mph on this site but my personal best is 76.6 go4 top speed i started a thread on this a month or two ago can you post this there or is that asking to much what ever you decide im gonna beat your top speed cuz im the fastest falcon on the block now i got some competition
It’s all good fun. Certainly I can post to your thread. I will post a screen capture of my Go4 stats and link back here for the video.

It’s all good fun. Certainly I can post to your thread. I will post a screen capture of my Go4 stats and link back here for the video.
Im loving it man. glad to know someone was up for the challenge good run by the way falcon. Thanks for the post ? Thumbswayup

Some may call it a 'hack', but I look at it simply as a known modification to the AC firmware. Basically, using a certain earlier version of DJI Go4, you are able to adjust and/or change certain peramiters, one of which is remapping the flight mode selector switch. The stock options are 'P', 'S', and 'T'. T is for Tripod Mode, and since you can also select this mode through DJI Go4 while flying, I opted to make the 'T' selection ATTI Mode.

Here is a link to a thread you may find helpful. Mavic 2 Atti mode

If you perform the mode and no longer want it, all you have to do is go back in and change it to stock, or simply refresh the firmware.
Just so there is no confusion in your excellent post, I think you meant using earlier versions of Assistant 2, rather than DJI Go4 above...

Reactions: Cloudman
Just so there is no confusion in your excellent post, I think you meant using earlier versions of Assistant 2, rather than DJI Go4 above...
You are correct. Thanks for pointing that out. I have corrected the post in question to show DJI Assistant 2..?

Geez. And I thought my 47.8 was fast. ?
I'm glad someone else would push the limits instead of me. I'm not brave enough.
Yeah, so for me, I mostly fly over the water, and there are so many days my flying spots are very windy, and I could just sit there - which I have done many times - or I could fly... Also, I can only take so many pics and general filming of whatever. It’s something else fun to do.

Until we see otherwise i think its safe to say you have the fastest mavic 2 pro time in the world on record good job
Maybe for now... At least until you beat it @Cloudman.

Here in New England, we are entering a less windy season, and getting lucky with a day like that will be rare until the Fall.

Reactions: Cloudman
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Britt