DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic 2 vs Mavic Pro Amazon Prime Day deal

Hi there Im new here and up to this point Ive just had sub $100 drones. Was originally looking at Mavic Pro until the rumors about Pro 2 came out and Ive been in a holding pattern. I was pretty sure Ide pull the trigger on the Pro 2 until this news about the Amazon Prime Day pricing for the Mavic Pro Fly more Combo came out. Just curious what folks think in choosing between the 2. Im not a pro videographer but higher quality is always better. Honestly my biggest hangup on the Mavic so far has been the gimbal which seems to me a little too delicate as well as the reviews Ive seen online where folks Mavics just got buggy and would no longer work etc. All I know is what Ive read so any feedback to help me out would be greatly appreciated.

Im going diving with Great White Sharks at Guadalupe Island in October and was looking to purchase something to bring with.
Thanks
You wont find a drone around that works Perfect 100% of the time ,All electronics get glitches or "buggy" sometime in tbeir lives, so expect to do some in depth research on the drone to ensure you dont lose it. My experience tells me 99% of crashes or fly aways are pilot error thru distraction, wrong rth selection or just plain stupidity.

Reactions: Drgnfli
I’d say 100% seems like a Mavic Pro scenario.
If you can score an amazing deal on it, you should be able to offload it in 2-3 months time with almost negligible losses (assuming you don’t damage it, which in that case, better an MP than an MP2). Learn to fly it well first. Then learn to shoot well. Then fly AND shoot. Then upgrade to something more capable where you’ll be able to take full advantage with less risk of loss.

Furthermore, the MP2 is probably DJI’s most anticipated product to date and even if you are the first person to click “buy” I am going to bet it will be 3-4 weeks to delivery of those first units (aside from those for VIPs). I can personally attest to this for the Ronin-S, Mavic Pro, and even the Phantom 4 Pro v2.0. You wait even a day to pull the trigger on this and you’re probably looking at a 2+ month backlog of orders. And that’s even assuming they announce pre-orders at time of launch event, which I’m guessing will not coincide. The ONLY exception to all of this was the Mavic Air. If I recall they opened up sales about an hour after the launch event and I got mine something like 5 days later.

On a side note, I absolutely LOVE my Mavic Air. Such an amazing piece of kit to supplement the Phantom 4 Pro and so underrated at $800. Only thing is battery life is kind of disappointing. Other than that I think the video quality on the Air at 100 Mbps is just so much better than the Pro, and under decent lighting conditions **** near that of the P4P, especially to a less discerning eye, and certainly if downresed to 1080p. If you’re using these drones for travel I’d say take a serious look at the Air.

Welcome to Mavic Pilots! :)

I think the Mavic 2 is going to be nothing short of amazing. There are still too many unknowns at this point though. For example, we don't really know which features will be included, how much more it will cost, or when it will be available. If you need a drone soon, this Amazon deal might be your lucky ticket.
we really dont know IF it will be a mavic 2,do we?

I hope, you understand, that you're talking about a non existent thing.

If it's a joke I would suggest to wait for MP3. And I have information about MP4, it will be a flying bicycle.

Reactions: Drgnfli
Hi there Im new here and up to this point Ive just had sub $100 drones. Was originally looking at Mavic Pro until the rumors about Pro 2 came out and Ive been in a holding pattern. I was pretty sure Ide pull the trigger on the Pro 2 until this news about the Amazon Prime Day pricing for the Mavic Pro Fly more Combo came out. Just curious what folks think in choosing between the 2. Im not a pro videographer but higher quality is always better. Honestly my biggest hangup on the Mavic so far has been the gimbal which seems to me a little too delicate as well as the reviews Ive seen online where folks Mavics just got buggy and would no longer work etc. All I know is what Ive read so any feedback to help me out would be greatly appreciated.

Im going diving with Great White Sharks at Guadalupe Island in October and was looking to purchase something to bring with.
Thanks
Mavic Pro is now a 2yr old drone.
Would definitely wait for newer improved Tech

Get the MP and fly the heck out of it. By the time they release the 2 and production catches up with demand, you would be waiting months IF they released the MP 2 today. That also gives you time to watch the early reviews and see if the 2 is that much better for YOUR interests. Don’t be persuaded by those that think the newest and best is necessarily for you. And if you end up getting a 2, you will have the MP to make the “crazy” shots with. I have an Inspire 2 and Phantom Pro. I have more “fun” with the Phantom and get riskier shots with it because of the “used truck’ aspect if I clip a tree.

I think theres like 10 periods in that paragraph. We might operate on a different definition of run on.

Exactly, some people just need to be douches, you asked for drone info, not an English writing lecture...

Here's my take on the idea of waiting for the M2. I just got my MP. So far, time, weather and random other events, have kept my flights down to exactly 1. This is my first drone, but I'm not a novice flyer by any means. I am a private pilot and have flown RC aircraft for years. Flying this drone is both easier and harder than either of those.

If you really want to get good enough to take beautiful video over water, you will need lots and lots of practice and the only way to get that is to fly. Lots of things will get in the way of that so the sooner you get a drone, quicker you will improve.

Get the MP now and learn how to fly and record. Practice on the cheaper MP so when the M2 does come out, you will know what you're doing, which is the best way to protect that more expensive investment. Check out youtube. There are hundreds of videos that can will help you.

Besides, it can't hurt to have a backup drone.

Reactions: Cuervo and conchman
People are generally more apt to post about negative issues or problems than to give praise. So here we go:
I’m not going to say that there aren’t problems, but generally people post about problems derived from pilot error and pushing the limits. Another source of perceived bugginess is the fact that people do not have the ideal set up going in- usually using some android device that is either old or not expressly on the recommended list from DJI.
All that said, I have been a Mavic Pro owner since the beginning, fly fairly responsibly, use it with an iPad Mini with cellular service (deactivated), and have never crashed or had a single malfunction. I am a professional commercial photographer/videographer and I am completely happy with the quality of the video my Mavic Pro gives me under optimal circumstances for commercial b-roll footage. I honestly can’t see needing anything higher quality unless were talking about the needing the capabilities of a $10,000+ rig that is going to give you flexible focal lengths, impeccable low-light results and extensively gradable footage with room for a separate camera operator and pilot. At that point I’m renting and or hiring it out.
From what it sounds like, you’re going to be completely happy with the amazon prime day Mavic Pro fly-more deal (like me) as long as you have the recommended tablet/phone, as well as a nice set of ND filters and a ton of hard drive space on your 4K capable computer with Premiere or Final Cut Pro. This will keep a novice PLENTY busy! Besides.all that, the mark 2 is going to be markedly larger (from what we know) and one of the most wonderful things about the MP is the compact size. It seems perfect to me.
Full disclosure; I have no experience with the Spark or Air. Previously owned a Phantom 2 with a GoPro Hero4 Black (disastrously crashed several times. Rented it to a friend who said “it just fell out of the sky”, which funded my Mavic Pro purchase). Also owned an Inspire that I sold because it was rarely used.

TLDR: Mavic Pro Fly-More recommended. Buy.

I think theres like 10 periods in that paragraph. We might operate on a different definition of run on.

Yo. Don't worry about your Grammar/English. This is not an English class, it is place to learn and hopefully once you gain experience be able to teach others about the Mavic. Hell, I am an Electrical Engineer and I suck at English/Writing. But I would rather be an Engineer than an English teacher. Got than and an right.....LOL

Oh no!!! First the Drone Police bug us now a freakin Grammar Police!!!! :cool:
We English teachers just cringe at the sight of "like", "went" instead of "said" and "loose", lose" being mixed up. Nevertheless, if you are just getting that drone and plan to go straight to the sharks, meaning WATER and NEW DRONE getting mixed together, you really better be experienced and knowledgeable about flying before entering that scene for the first time. We know you are excited but you need to EASE IN to the drone, not just take off somewhere and send it up in unfamiliar territory, over WATER, with little experience. Just watching out for you. Be cautious.

Don't assume you're going to fly like a pro 2 minutes after starting the motors. So, don't wait until a few weeks before your trip before buying one.
Flying and operating a camera over water, hand catch and launch, etc, needs practice. There's different flight modes, video and photo settings, etc. Just keep that in mind.

This is probably the best advice in the thread. Get the MP via Amazon Prime now and learn the intricacies of flight. Your investment/risk is lower as a new pilot. You can always sell it for 60-75% of what you paid for it when you upgrade.

There is a lot to learn to fly reliability with a good landing especially on a boat. e.g., hand catch perhaps before Return To Home kicks in. The photography is good to great set to auto - most of the time. Unusual lighting conditions where you might want to capture a great photo will take more thinking like a photographer (iso, aperture, shutter speed, focus,...). Join the fun. Have a great trip by not landing in the water.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Esccueje