DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

MAvic 2 zoom- Battery overheating melting plastic

Builderbill

Reactions
After a quick flight today I noticed a little distortion in the plastic at the rear of battery compartment above the contacts (see picture). Upon further investigation I see a hole has been melted through a battery, but only one of the 3 batteries I own and rotate in my drone. Has anyone seen this before? Any suggestions? Should I take this battery out of service? Thank you

Attachments

• CE026A79-C0CE-438E-859E-E91ADDAC94E8.jpeg
    CE026A79-C0CE-438E-859E-E91ADDAC94E8.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 46
Reactions: Gagey52
Definitely take it out of service. Don't store it in your house and check your other batteries for swelling or similar melting. For the bad battery you can discharge it completely in salt water then take to a proper battery recycle center.

Reactions: Builderbill
do not fly your drone with it, there is a problem with that battery ,which could result in your drone falling from the sky at the very least,and possibly causing a fire, or damage ,or heaven forbid serious injury if it fell on someone

Contact DJI. They will replace that battery. You will need to talk to them about how that will happen, but Mavic 2 batteries are an acknowledged problem on certain runs.

Anybody know what serial nos or run dates to look for regarding the "acknowledged problem on certain runs" mentioned in #4?
I also have a swollen battery but the DJI customer service guy said they would not help.

Anybody know what serial nos or run dates to look for regarding the "acknowledged problem on certain runs" mentioned in #4?
I also have a swollen battery but the DJI customer service guy said they would not help.
If I recall correctly 9/2018 or thereabouts manufacture had issues.I lost 2 batteries due to swelling prematurely but beyond guarantee time.DJI never owned up to the issue as far as I know.

That's right where the BMS PCA is, the cells are behind it. Something on the BMS is defective and way overheating. My guess would be the main power FET feeding juice to the drone.

DJI will replace it.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mini2+