DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic 2 Zoom. "I got run over by a car."

NedKelly

Reactions
One minute into my flight my Mavic 2 Z battery goes from 60% to 0% in 44 seconds. The drone then drops 164ft (50m). The battery was at 60% at takeoff. See video. 1 SC Screen crash.mp4.
To add insult to injury it lands on a road and of course a vehicle runs over it and “bends” it a little. See photo.
You may be able to see the tire mark on the top of the drone. See photo.

They are building a new children’s day care centre in our area. I have been taking photos of its construction. See photos.

I am not sure what files I need to upload from my smart controller to get help to try and figure out, other that the battery failing, what happened. The battery had been recharged about 65 times. It battery had no sign of “swelling” etc. Thanks.

Drop box Link below. Mavic 2

Attachments

• Crash 1.JPG
    8.9 MB · Views: 51
  • Crash 2.JPG
    8.7 MB · Views: 40
  • New Day Care centre 1.JPG
    New Day Care centre 1.JPG
    5.8 MB · Views: 39
  • New Day Care centre 2.JPG
    New Day Care centre 2.JPG
    5.3 MB · Views: 39
  • New Day Care centre 3.JPG
    New Day Care centre 3.JPG
    4.4 MB · Views: 38
Reactions: Gagey52
It would certainly help to see the logs--especially any historical data for that battery. Do you log your flights on something like AirData?
What is the manufacture date for that battery pack? There should be some signs of ageing in the historical data, which might help explain it's demise (not that I'm saying 65 charge cycles is a lot...but it's certainly not "new").

Reactions: NedKelly
I left my M2P drone on my trunk once. Then I drove off with it still there,like an idiot. As I was driving down the main road to a grocery store, I suddenly rembered it was on the trunk when I left. I looked back and it wasn't there. I immediately did a U-Turn and scanned the road across from me. I saw it sitting in the road. I did another uturn and quickly drove up to it and parked my car on the median. I ran over to it and grabbed it. Someone indeed had run over it. BUT ! They only broke one of the legs. The rest of the drone was untouched. I got really lucky. I bought a new leg with motor and replaced the cracked one with the new one. It was pretty easy. I was amazed, that I could actually do such a repair. I'm no technitian or anything. After I took the old leg off and installed the new leg, the re-wireing process began. I paid close attn as to how the old wiring was soldered in place and resoldered each new wire in place. The drone looked and flew like new when I was done. I was impressed with myself, lacking any experience in such things. It was an interesting learning experience. And I also learned not to leave my drone on the truck of my car. I was so pissed at myself.

Any recent firmware updates? Did you update the firmware for every battery?

... I am not sure what files I need to upload from my smart controller to get help to try and figure out...
As your SC is Android based you just connect it up with your PC & it will pop up as a new drive unit there. Then go here & read up on how to retrieve the mobile device .TXT log (read under section 3.) --> Mavic Flight Log Retrieval and Analysis Guide

Once you have the .TXT file from the flight, come back here & attach it into a new post.

It would certainly help to see the logs--especially any historical data for that battery. Do you log your flights on something like AirData?
What is the manufacture date for that battery pack? There should be some signs of ageing in the historical data, which might help explain it's demise (not that I'm saying 65 charge cycles is a lot...but it's certainly not "new")
What is the manufacture date for that battery pack? There should be some signs of ageing in the historical data, which might help explain it's demise (not that I'm saying 65 charge cycles is a lot...but it's certainly not "new").
Thanks for your reply. I will get the logs and put them up. I can’t find a “date” on the battery. The only difference on my 3 batteries is the QR code on the bottom right. I don’t log my flights so it will be good for me to find out more about AirData etc. I do update my 3 batteries and soon as I get a message re updates. Can’t remember any recant battery update notices.

I left my M2P drone on my trunk once. Then I drove off with it still there,like an idiot. As I was driving down the main road to a grocery store, I suddenly rembered it was on the trunk when I left. I looked back and it wasn't there. I immediately did a U-Turn and scanned the road across from me. I saw it sitting in the road. I did another uturn and quickly drove up to it and parked my car on the median. I ran over to it and grabbed it. Someone indeed had run over it. BUT ! They only broke one of the legs. The rest of the drone was untouched. I got really lucky. I bought a new leg with motor and replaced the cracked one with the new one. It was pretty easy. I was amazed, that I could actually do such a repair. I'm no technitian or anything. After I took the old leg off and installed the new leg, the re-wireing process began. I paid close attn as to how the old wiring was soldered in place and resoldered each new wire in place. The drone looked and flew like new when I was done. I was impressed with myself, lacking any experience in such things. It was an interesting learning experience. And I also learned not to leave my drone on the truck of my car. I was so pissed at myself.
Thanks Don for your sharing your experience. I, like you, had to replace a leg. It is very satisfying when you get all the wires soldered to the correct place and all the wires tucked back in place and the covers back on and you are flying again. Very satisfying.

Reactions: Gagey52
As your SC is Android based you just connect it up with your PC & it will pop up as a new drive unit there. Then go here & read up on how to retrieve the mobile device .TXT log (read under section 3.) --> Mavic Flight Log Retrieval and Analysis Guide

Once you have the .TXT file from the flight, come back here & attach it into a new post.
Thanks Slup for your help and the link to the Mavic Flight Log Retrieval and Analysis Guide. I will post them as you suggested. The only silver lining under this cloud is that my family now know what to give me for the next 3 years of Christmas and my birthday. I have ordered another Mavic 2 Z.

Reactions: slup
Thanks Slup for your help and the link to the Mavic Flight Log Retrieval and Analysis Guide. I will post them as you suggested. The only silver lining under this cloud is that my family now know what to give me for the next 3 years of Christmas and my birthday. I have ordered another Mavic 2 Z.
I think I have found the relevant file on the smart controller however I am not able to get my win 7 PC “to talk to it.” I will spend some time today to workout how to get the SC talking to the PC and get the file uploaded.

It may be that your Windows driver is missing. These instructions are for Win10. See post #11 of
Windows 10 Smart Controller driver
Thanks again for your help. I have not been able to find the MTP setting under "portable devices". See below.

4-jpg.89863

Thanks again for your help. I have not been able to find the MTP setting under "portable devices". See below.

4-jpg.89863

I was able to get a file for the day of the flight from the SC however is is a .DAT file. Thanks.

Attachments

• 21-11-02-10-12-43_FLY005.DAT
    2.9 MB · Views: 10
One minute into my flight my Mavic 2 Z battery goes from 60% to 0% in 44 seconds. The drone then drops...

...get help to try and figure out...what happened.

The battery had been recharged about 65 times. It battery had no sign of “swelling”
It's easy to see what & why this happened ...

You started out this flight with 60% battery ... did you drain the first 40% on a flight just before this or had this battery been laying around on 60% for a while before this day?

Already before you crossed that road only 37sec after take off your battery was down to really critical levels with one cell down to just a tad above 3v ... with a total battery voltage on 12,7v. The Lowcellvoltage threshold was defined to 12v for the total battery. Here below, circled in red, your battery was rendered "NotSafe" by the firmware.

1636360441371.png

Here below all relevant data for this incident are depicted in a chart ...

The green/blue background area to the left is motor start & take off
The pink background area to the right is Lowbattery force landing
The purple graph is the battery percentage
The red graph is the total battery voltage (full is usually slightly above 16,8v... & 0% around 14v)
The green graph is the lowest cell voltage of the 4 cells in the battery
The blue is the low voltage threshold
The darker green graph is an indication regarding battery safety ... 0=safe 1=not safe
The black graph is the relative height from your HP

(Click on the chart to make it larger ... values in the bottom legend is from where the chart marker is placed in the chart)
1636360785449.png

Pretty straight forward ... just after take off at least one cell in your battery fails & drops quickly down to dangerous voltage levels. When the total battery voltage goes below the threshold of 12v the firmware marks the voltage level not safe & initiate a lowbattery force landing ... end of story.

That the battery percentage started out on 60% & then suddenly dropped to zero comes from that the BMS (battery management system) realize that it's initial calculation of 60% was wrong... & gives up and show 0% instead. Most probably this battery was heavily unbalanced cell voltage wise ... showing a total voltage that correlated to 60% in the beginning. Then when you took off the BMS monitored the mah consumption & counted down the percentage ... until the total battery voltage dropped like a rock & the BMS realize that the percentage calculation was totally wrong.

The root cause to this lies in either of 2 factors ...

Either this battery had a manufacturing fault already from start ... with one cell in the battery always showing significant worse performance than the other 3...

... or it's due to how you have used, stored & taken care of the battery during those 65 charge cycles ... it's not difficult to kill a battery during 65 cycles if you abuse it.

Below you have some important points regarding the batteries that keep our drones airborne ...

• Keeping the battery at 100% isn't good for it ... do what you can to minimize the time that they are at that level, the default up to 10 days auto discharge down to 60-65% is way too long ... & if you check the level by pushing the button you reset the counter & the 10 day counter will restart. If a battery that is above storage % level haven't been used in a couple days, use the USB adapter from the Fly More Kit to charge something else (your phone) in order to bring it down to storage % (see below ...)
  • Heat kills them ... don't store above room temperature & absolutely not in a car during summer, a couple hours in a burning hot car & the battery have sustained serious damage.
  • Let them cool down to room temperature before recharging them.
  • Don't fly with a battery colder than 15C degrees, keep them warm in colder weather, have them in a pocket close to your body.
  • Store the batteries between 40-60% ... a good thumb rule is to take them of the charger as soon as the third led start to blink, then they are just over 50%. But anything between 1 solid + 1 blinking up to 2 solid + 1 blinking is good enough.
  • Don't drain them to low, make sure they don't go under 15% ... once in a while, so be it. Set the ambition to not have them lower than 20% ... if you aim for that you usually don't end up below 15%.
  • Don't fly with a battery not recently fully charged, having a battery laying around partially charged for a longer period may make the cells in the battery unbalanced, using a unbalanced battery can make that lower cell fail soon after take off, & initiate a forced low battery auto landing you can’t stop.
  • If stored for a long time, cycle them at least once each third month ... then back to storage %.

First of all ... batteries will not last forever

...they will either slowly degrade until the point where the useful flight times are so short that you stop using it

...or it will have a sudden cell failure which will trigger a sudden forced auto landing in the worst possible place

...or it will slowly start to swell to the point where they not fit into the drone anymore

...or the swelling goes off instantly or gets worse when the battery gets hot & push itself out of the drone at height.

The only visual sign is swelling ... which not always occur. Furthermore different drone models have different possibilities to handle a smaller momentary swelling when hot during flight.

So a battery can't be judged only by that it take charge to 100%, isn't swollen & manage to power your drone without mishaps ... too much is going on hidden from just a visual inspection or a test flight, you may have been on the verge to a disaster without knowing it.

You have mainly 2 methods to both prolong the useful service life of the battery & prevent sudden failures ... & judge when it's time to either limit the flight duty (in colder temps for instance) or completely take it off flight tasks.

1.Battery Care
...Never keep the battery cell voltage outside 3,7-3,8v for a longer period than 48h (that is a battery charged to approx 50%). If too high after a flight, discharge them, too low charge them up to storage level again.

...Store them in room temperature ... (too warm is more damaging than too cold)

...Never let them overheat ... (left in the sun or thrown in a hot car)

...Don't charge them hot, let them cool down to room temperature

...Don't use cold batteries, try to have them at room temperature before using them

...Respect the operational ambient temperature specified in the user manual

...Don't push the battery for amp draw (both sticks on max inputs at the same time in Sport mode) when cold or hot ambient temps

...Don't fly them below 15% other in exceptional cases

...Always start a day of flying with the batteries freshly fully charged

2.Battery performance follow up over time
...Follow how the useful calculated max flight time change

...Compare the full charged max mAh compared to the designed mAh

...Monitor how the cell deviations degrades

For all points regarding the battery performance it's a question about trends over time ... just looking at a single flight will not give any insight over the actual health ... having a bit shorter flight time or some bigger cell deviations in one flight can be normal if using Sport mode or flying in colder ambient temps for instance. The paid Airdata subscriptions give the possibility to check these trends over all flight logs uploaded there ... it gives a good decision base to understand the battery health & if it's time to take it off duty.

Last edited:
It's easy to see what & why this happened ...

You started out this flight with 60% battery ... did you drain the first 40% on a flight just before this or had this battery been laying around on 60% for a while before this day?

Already before you crossed that road only 37sec after take off your battery was down to really critical levels with one cell down to just a tad above 3v ... with a total battery voltage on 12,7v. The Lowcellvoltage threshold was defined to 12v for the total battery. Here below, circled in red, your battery was rendered "NotSafe" by the firmware.

View attachment 137979

Here below all relevant data for this incident are depicted in a chart ...

The green/blue background area to the left is motor start & take off
The pink background area to the right is Lowbattery force landing
The purple graph is the battery percentage
The red graph is the total battery voltage (full is usually slightly above 16,8v... & 0% around 14v)
The green graph is the lowest cell voltage of the 4 cells in the battery
The blue is the low voltage threshold
The darker green graph is an indication regarding battery safety ... 0=safe 1=not safe
The black graph is the relative height from your HP

(Click on the chart to make it larger ... values in the bottom legend is from where the chart marker is placed in the chart)
View attachment 137980

Pretty straight forward ... just after take off at least one cell in your battery fails & drops quickly down to dangerous voltage levels. When the total battery voltage goes below the threshold of 12v the firmware marks the voltage level not safe & initiate a lowbattery force landing ... end of story.

That the battery percentage started out on 60% & then suddenly dropped to zero comes from that the BMS (battery management system) realize that it's initial calculation of 60% was wrong... & gives up and show 0% instead. Most probably this battery was heavily unbalanced cell voltage wise ... showing a total voltage that correlated to 60% in the beginning. Then when you took off the BMS monitored the mah consumption & counted down the percentage ... until the total battery voltage dropped like a rock & the BMS realize that the percentage calculation was totally wrong.

The root cause to this lies in either of 2 factors ...

Either this battery had a manufacturing fault already from start ... with one cell in the battery always showing significant worse performance than the other 3...

... or it's due to how you have used, stored & taken care of the battery during those 65 charge cycles ... it's not difficult to kill a battery during 65 cycles if you abuse it.

Below you have some important points regarding the batteries that keep our drones airborne ...

• Keeping the battery at 100% isn't good for it ... do what you can to minimize the time that they are at that level, the default up to 10 days auto discharge down to 60-65% is way too long ... & if you check the level by pushing the button you reset the counter & the 10 day counter will restart. If a battery that is above storage % level haven't been used in a couple days, use the USB adapter from the Fly More Kit to charge something else (your phone) in order to bring it down to storage % (see below ...)
  • Heat kills them ... don't store above room temperature & absolutely not in a car during summer, a couple hours in a burning hot car & the battery have sustained serious damage.
  • Let them cool down to room temperature before recharging them.
  • Don't fly with a battery colder than 15C degrees, keep them warm in colder weather, have them in a pocket close to your body.
  • Store the batteries between 40-60% ... a good thumb rule is to take them of the charger as soon as the third led start to blink, then they are just over 50%. But anything between 1 solid + 1 blinking up to 2 solid + 1 blinking is good enough.
  • Don't drain them to low, make sure they don't go under 15% ... once in a while, so be it. Set the ambition to not have them lower than 20% ... if you aim for that you usually don't end up below 15%.
  • Don't fly with a battery not recently fully charged, having a battery laying around partially charged for a longer period may make the cells in the battery unbalanced, using a unbalanced battery can make that lower cell fail soon after take off, & initiate a forced low battery auto landing you can’t stop.
  • If stored for a long time, cycle them at least once each third month ... then back to storage %.

First of all ... batteries will not last forever

...they will either slowly degrade until the point where the useful flight times are so short that you stop using it

...or it will have a sudden cell failure which will trigger a sudden forced auto landing in the worst possible place

...or it will slowly start to swell to the point where they not fit into the drone anymore

...or the swelling goes off instantly or gets worse when the battery gets hot & push itself out of the drone at height.

The only visual sign is swelling ... which not always occur. Furthermore different drone models have different possibilities to handle a smaller momentary swelling when hot during flight.

So a battery can't be judged only by that it take charge to 100%, isn't swollen & manage to power your drone without mishaps ... too much is going on hidden from just a visual inspection or a test flight, you may have been on the verge to a disaster without knowing it.

You have mainly 2 methods to both prolong the useful service life of the battery & prevent sudden failures ... & judge when it's time to either limit the flight duty (in colder temps for instance) or completely take it off flight tasks.

1.Battery Care
...Never keep the battery cell voltage outside 3,7-3,8v for a longer period than 48h (that is a battery charged to approx 50%). If too high after a flight, discharge them, too low charge them up to storage level again.

...Store them in room temperature ... (too warm is more damaging than too cold)

...Never let them overheat ... (left in the sun or thrown in a hot car)

...Don't charge them hot, let them cool down to room temperature

...Don't use cold batteries, try to have them at room temperature before using them

...Respect the operational ambient temperature specified in the user manual

...Don't push the battery for amp draw (both sticks on max inputs at the same time in Sport mode) when cold or hot ambient temps

...Don't fly them below 15% other in exceptional cases

...Always start a day of flying with the batteries freshly fully charged

2.Battery performance follow up over time
...Follow how the useful calculated max flight time change

...Compare the full charged max mAh compared to the designed mAh

...Monitor how the cell deviations degrades

For all points regarding the battery performance it's a question about trends over time ... just looking at a single flight will not give any insight over the actual health ... having a bit shorter flight time or some bigger cell deviations in one flight can be normal if using Sport mode or flying in colder ambient temps for instance. The paid Airdata subscriptions give the possibility to check these trends over all flight logs uploaded there ... it gives a good decision base to understand the battery health & if it's time to take it off duty.
Thanks, from Down Under, for your help Slup. Much appreciated. I will make sure all my batteries are set to 48 hours as you recommend. Can you tell the serial number etc from the flight log data?

...Can you tell the serial number etc from the flight log data?
The battery serial# seems to be 0P2AFAT53405R6 and that points to a manufacturing date of 27 October 2018.
And the drone have 163CGALR0A3VSJ with a manufacturing date of 20 October 2019.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corbo2000