DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic 3 (9-Frame / Wide Angle) Pano Stitching Issues - Anyone else?

No. One row level, 1 tipped down.
Way more interesting things on the ground than empty sky.
But for a Dawn or sunset if there are cool clouds, that might be reverse…

It turns out that the issue only happens when the camera is tilted downwards for the initial shot of the panorama.
Try with the camera level for the initial shot.
Hey Meta4- again I don’t have the Mavic three yet to play with. Will have it Monday. But my question is
- Can we adjust the settings in the auto pano mode to start the sequence at 0°?
Or are the angle of the rows locked in and you just have to adjust them after the fact?

The beauty of letting Lightroom do the stitch when it works is it saves the stitched image as a DNG.
If you have to use PTGui I believe it will only save it as a TIF or a JPEG.
So you would want to do all your color and contrast adjustments in Lightroom or Photoshop first and export them as Tiff or JPG before bringing the images into PTGui if you want to have the most control of the final image. Then I would still save that stitch image as a tiff to work with it further.

The best solution will be to get DJI to update the firmware to allow for a 0° starting point on Panoramic’s or give us a choice

Last edited:
Hey Meta4- again I don’t have the Mavic three yet to play with. Will have it Monday. But my question is
- Can we adjust the settings in the auto pano mode to start the sequence at 0°?
Or are the angle of the rows locked in and you just have to adjust them after the fact?
I'm not the one to answer that.
I started doing panoramas before there were any automated pano features and still do mine manually.
It's fairly quick and I have complete control that way.

Reactions: jephoto
I'm not the one to answer that.
I started doing panoramas before there were any automated pano features and still do mine manually.
It's fairly quick and I have complete control that way.
Absolutely - been doing mine manually for years. Just thought that if this works I can see a use for a quick auto 9 Frame if you are short on time, or if in inclement weather as one poster I've seen here I think in Alaska or Canada where his fingers were freezing by the time hie manually did 1 pano...
- and it would be very consistent in its shooting.

I've no problem doing it manual though.

Absolutely - been doing mine manually for years. Just thought that if this works I can see a use for a quick auto 9 Frame if you are short on time, or if in inclement weather as one poster I've seen here I think in Alaska or Canada where his fingers were freezing by the time hie manually did 1 pano...
- and it would be very consistent in its shooting.

I've no problem doing it manual though.
To answer your question about the automated pano, DJI gives no control over it in any of the settings. You'll have to wait for the Mavic 3 SDK release and Litchi. However, the automated pano also allows saving the original images in either JPG or DNG (not both, unfortunately!), so you can manipulate them anyway you want afterwards.

Well, that’s what I’ll play with. I have no problem working with them in post and with multiple apps if I need to. I didn’t find it difficult to correct that distortion one side drop them into PTGUI.
As I said above will just have to do the color correction in light room first export them as a Tiff.
I suspect that I’ll just keep doing them manually for the most part though…

Well, that’s what I’ll play with. I have no problem working with them in post and with multiple apps if I need to. I didn’t find it difficult to correct that distortion one side drop them into PTGUI.
As I said above will just have to do the color correction in light room first export them as a Tiff.
I suspect that I’ll just keep doing them manually for the most part though…
I shoot lots of 360° panos, often in the same location, from different elevations, and starting from different directions, and use the automated pano image as a proof of concept, to see if it is worth improving upon by manual stitching the original images. It's a test print, that sometimes is good enough, especially on the Mavic 3, where the automated HiRes spherical pano is 75MB!

I shoot lots of 360° panos, often in the same location, from different elevations, and starting from different directions, and use the automated pano image as a proof of concept, to see if it is worth improving upon by manual stitching the original images. It's a test print, that sometimes is good enough, especially on the Mavic 3, where the automated HiRes spherical pano is 75MB!
That’s one difference in our work- I rarely do 360° Panos anymore. I’m usually building rectilinear panels for flat files.
Using the automated function for a 360 makes total sense. It would be way faster and more accurate and you could possibly do by hand

That’s one difference in our work- I rarely do 360° Panos anymore. I’m usually building rectilinear panels for flat files.
Using the automated function for a 360 makes total sense. It would be way faster and more accurate and you could possibly do by hand
Indeed. Manually shooting 9 shot panos is far easier manually than 26 shot 360° panos! I've also manually shot a few 100+ shot panos with the 7x telephoto. Now that is one that really needs automation! LOL!

This morning at dawn in Chicago. Still testing out the M3 & getting used to things. Anyway here is a 3 row, 15 frame pano (3 x5 frames), done manually and stitched perfectly in Lightroom.
And I did a 5 fr. AEB for each, but ended up using only the brightest frame if each stitch. Amazing latitude...

Im having trouble believing how large this is.
48.69" x 13.06" (14,609 x 3,918 pixels) Cropped
Got to find a reasonable printer to make large pano prints....

Screen Shot 2022-11-10 at 11.36.10 AM.png
077_20221110_Web_1200pxWeb.jpg

This morning at dawn in Chicago. Still testing out the M3 & getting used to things. Anyway here is a 3 row, 15 frame pano (3 x5 frames), done manually and stitched perfectly in Lightroom.
And I did a 5 fr. AEB for each, but ended up using only the brightest frame if each stitch. Amazing latitude...

Im having trouble believing how large this is.
48.69" x 13.06" (14,609 x 3,918 pixels) Cropped
Got to find a reasonable printer to make large pano prints....

View attachment 156952
View attachment 156953
Try the automated Mavic 3 Spherical Pano. It creates a HiRes 70MB stitch, in camera, complete with a cloned in ceiling, in just 75 seconds from the time you start the pano shooting! Saving the originals lets you manually create an even higher resolution stitch!

Try the automated Mavic 3 Spherical Pano. It creates a HiRes 70MB stitch, in camera, complete with a cloned in ceiling, in just 75 seconds from the time you start the pano shooting! Saving the originals lets you manually create an even higher resolution stitch!
Thanks. One of the many things I have yet to test on the M3. The reason I posted this is because some people were having a problem with trying to stitch these auto panos in Lightroom or Photoshop.
I rarely do full 360 x 180 spherical. But I realize I can just choose the frames that I want to create a flat pano. It just takes an extra step to bring it in to PTGUI or something similar. It’s pretty cool

Last edited:
Thanks. One of the many things I have yet to test on the M3. The reason I posted this is because some people were having a problem with trying to stitch these auto panos in Lightroom or Photoshop.
I rarely do full three 60 x 180 spherical. But I realize I can just choose the frames that I want to create a flat pano. It just takes an extra step to bring it in to PTGUI or something similar. It’s pretty cool
Exactly! You can create multiple flat panos in every direction from the original 26 images created in only 40 seconds, if you want to cancel the in-camera 360 pano stitch, to save time ! PTGui and PanoramaStudio 3 Pro are indispensable for creating the interactive web version of the 360 panos for hosting on one's own website!

I’ve not heard of panorama studio three. I’ll take a look at it. Looks interesting.

PTGUI does not solve the problem.

Taken hundreds of DNG panos on my M2P; no issues.

This is definitely a bug with the M3. I’d like to know if someone who has been using the 9-frame Pano on the M3 is having this issue as well.
I just tried it on ptgui and it worked perfectly. use the Rectilingular projection. Photoshop made it like a barrel.

Reactions: GadgetGuy
I see solutions saying that you should shoot with the gimbal level but I was able to tilt it on my MP2 and no issues, is there a proper solution that you can auto pano the 9 shots and still have your gimbal tilted down? I think otherwise, going manual is the only option, just annoying when the older model did this so well

I see solutions saying that you should shoot with the gimbal level but I was able to tilt it on my MP2 and no issues, is there a proper solution that you can auto pano the 9 shots and still have your gimbal tilted down? I think otherwise, going manual is the only option, just annoying when the older model did this so well
Yeah, as the creator of this thread, I just gave up. Yes, there are some software solutions that can "sort of" help with the 9-frame stitch, but it's not nearly as good just shooting it properly.

I've simply revered to doing a full 21-frame pano for everything on the M3 UNLESS (as you note) make sure (100%) that the gimbal is set to 0 degrees (level); then it's usually ok. But that's not the point. The amazing thing about the M2P 9-frame stitch is that you COULD drop the level down, and then shoot accordingly. THAT's what made it a great tool.

Shame on DJI for not fixing this for the M3.

Reactions: ruaidhri
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Photogeezer