DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic 3 Cine Chicago Gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
If it was being used for a client work, then obviously it was a commercial project. As such it should have been properly insured as any piece of professional equipment should be. It’s just good business practice! If not, it’s hard to be overly sympathetic for the OP. I NEVER used new equipment on a paid project until I had thoroughly vetted it and became familiar with its operation. Especially with something that had just been released and not had the full firmware /software released. I’m curious if he uploads the flight data to determine what was at fault.

Thanks, I read through the manual and watched some videos on the Air 2S on the RTH. For the Mavic 3, if there were enough satellites and the Home was recorded, shouldn't it come back?

What would cause it not to RTH?

Even if the home was recorded properly before flying, if satellites were lost during flight (say because by buildings in a city) would that cause RTH not to work correctly?

For the Failsafe RTH, the manual notes:

"If the Home Point was successfully recorded and the compass is functioning normally, Failsafe RTH automatically activates after the remote controller signal is lost for more than six seconds. Note that the action the aircraft performs when the remote controller is lost must be set to Return to Home in DJI Fly.

When the lighting is sufficient and the vision systems are working normally, DJI Fly will display the RTH path that was generated by the aircraft before the remote controller signal was lost. The aircraft will return to the Home Point on the best possible path according to the environment. The aircraft will remain in RTH even if the remote controller signal is restored.

When the lighting is not sufficient and the vision systems are not available, the aircraft will enter Original Route RTH."

Manual also notes:

"The aircraft may not be able to return to the Home Point normally if the GNSS signal is weak or unavailable. The aircraft may enter ATTI mode if the GNSS signal becomes weak or unavailable after entering Failsafe RTH. The aircraft will hover in place for a while before landing."

Maybe in the OP case the RTH was not set or the GPS signal was lost? Or something else on the unit malfunctioned?

I also read for the DJI Care Refresh to use the Fly Away the fee is $739 for the Mavic 3 and $1,89 for the Mavi 3 Cine.

thanks.
Those are high prices….. still better than losing your
Thanks, I read through the manual and watched some videos on the Air 2S on the RTH. For the Mavic 3, if there were enough satellites and the Home was recorded, shouldn't it come back?

What would cause it not to RTH?

Even if the home was recorded properly before flying, if satellites were lost during flight (say because by buildings in a city) would that cause RTH not to work correctly?

For the Failsafe RTH, the manual notes:

"If the Home Point was successfully recorded and the compass is functioning normally, Failsafe RTH automatically activates after the remote controller signal is lost for more than six seconds. Note that the action the aircraft performs when the remote controller is lost must be set to Return to Home in DJI Fly.

When the lighting is sufficient and the vision systems are working normally, DJI Fly will display the RTH path that was generated by the aircraft before the remote controller signal was lost. The aircraft will return to the Home Point on the best possible path according to the environment. The aircraft will remain in RTH even if the remote controller signal is restored.

When the lighting is not sufficient and the vision systems are not available, the aircraft will enter Original Route RTH."

Manual also notes:

"The aircraft may not be able to return to the Home Point normally if the GNSS signal is weak or unavailable. The aircraft may enter ATTI mode if the GNSS signal becomes weak or unavailable after entering Failsafe RTH. The aircraft will hover in place for a while before landing."

Maybe in the OP case the RTH was not set or the GPS signal was lost? Or something else on the unit malfunctioned?

I also read for the DJI Care Refresh to use the Fly Away the fee is $739 for the Mavic 3 and $1,89 for the Mavi 3 Cine.

thanks.
That’s a lot of cheddar. But still cheaper than buying a new one.

He flew on Michigan Avenue?

Isn't that dead center of the city, surrounded by skyscrapers?

That might explain the lost signal?

Not allowed to fly there are you? Maybe the cops took it down.
Thats what the pic he attached looked like, in front of the Hancock

Thanks for letting me down DJI having 500gigs of the best Chicago pro res footage I ever captured and becoming unresponsive and breaking total connection to my app and flying away on me and recording an inaccurate home point….$5k gone and priceless footage for a client! SO bummed on DJI right now.
My sincere condolences to you. That must hurt.

Wow! That sticks! Hope you get a replacement soon

Watch his YouTube channel explaining all. He hates Smart Controllers so flew with an RC-N1. Go figure, but it's his choice. Worse, it sounds like care Refresh Fly Away deductible is $1189 on the Cine - also his choice but it's a lot even on a $5k drone where Refresh is $nearly $400 to begin with. He has plenty of work. Has an Inspire 2 X5 that he's trading up to X7. Not a hobbyist, but I can't explain some of the choices he made. It's his to make even if I don't agree.

He's put up a half dozen videos since he lost it. I feel bad for him - easy to criticize, but it must be really upset. DJI isn't helping too much. Because of some choices he made. I hope he perseveres - but I'm not that confident he will.

Reactions: Surge and ianwood
That's the OP?

BTW, it says his location is Hawaii but he lost it in Chicago?

Interesting idea. Considering the small size, it can't hurt and you might as well. Can never be too prepared.
I bought some recently for exactly that purpose. Because I had an ArcLightXL on the front, it didn’t leave me anyplace to stick the AirTag that didn’t block sensors or lights, then came up with the idea to use a Velcro strap with a collar attachment like you’d use on a dog collar. Between the ArcLightXL strobe with audible, an AirTag, a Marco Polo GPS, and the Rescue Jacket (in the presence of water), it provides considerable redundancy.

Reactions: BSauce955
And the golden rule about not keeping all your data on one card. With the size of files and amount of IMPORTANT data for the job, I would think a change in cards with at battery swap may have saved some of the job.T

The Cine has a built in 1tb SD drive.. You'd have to transfer data in the field to something out, you can't swap a card.

Still sounds like more than one flight. I'm a little more cautious I guess. I switch out.
ProRes generates huge file sizes.
The Mavic 3 cine version has an inbuilt 1TB SSD.
You cannot switch out.
You can't remove the storage device and can only download by connecting to the the drone and waiting a long time for the file transfer.
It's quite a weak point for the Mavic 3 cine version.

Thanks for letting me down DJI having 500gigs of the best Chicago pro res footage I ever captured and becoming unresponsive and breaking total connection to my app and flying away on me and recording an inaccurate home point….$5k gone and priceless footage for a client! SO bummed on DJI right now.
How can you be sure that DJI let you down or that the drone recorded an inaccurate home point?
Post your flight data and someone can look at it for you and find out what actually happened.
Perhaps it was as you described, or maybe something else.
It might even help point to where the drone is.

Go to DJI Flight Log Viewer | Phantom Help
Follow the instructions there to upload your flight record from your phone or tablet.
That will give you a detailed report of the flight.
Come back and post a link to the report it gives you.
Or .. just post the txt file here.

ProRes generates huge file sizes.
The Mavic 3 cine version has an inbuilt 1TB SSD.
You cannot switch out.
You can't remove the storage device and can only download by connecting to the the drone and waiting a long time for the file transfer.
It's quite a weak point for the Mavic 3 cine version.
Is it correct that you can still use an SD card on the cine with one of the other recording modes and just not with ProRes?

I know you're joking, but it's not a joking matter. In areas where previously there was virtually no crime, there have been a rash of car jackings. It's scary. There is a medical clinic right in that "rash" area that I have to visit frequently and my other half has to park in front to wait for me. I've beat into her head that she has to lock the car the moment I exit and not open it until the moment I return. I tell her not to be so engrossed in her phone that she loses situational awareness as this stuff happens so fast. It wouldn't surprise me that a whole lot more people are "carrying" who never did before (I know a few).
I know, home invasion a few doors down from where I live in the afternoon - car jackers walked in on a family hanging Christmas decorations. Haven’t had a reason to go down town and have no plans to do so….

How can you be sure that DJI let you down or that the drone recorded an inaccurate home point?
Post your flight data and someone can look at it for you and find out what actually happened.
Perhaps it was as you described, or maybe something else.
It might even help point to where the drone is.

Go to DJI Flight Log Viewer | Phantom Help
Follow the instructions there to upload your flight record from your phone or tablet.
That will give you a detailed report of the flight.
Come back and post a link to the report it gives you.
Or .. just post the txt file here.
I don't think that the OP came here looking for help.

Lucky you had care refresh or you really would be bummed.

I don't think he did have it :(
Oh he did have it, just that it's US $1189 !
Better than US$5000 though.
I just my drone 2 days ago but haven’t had the chance to fly as 2 weeks of rain expected.
I bought 2 years refresh as it’s just peace of mind.
I have a Air2 and the FPV and love them both.
Both have care refresh and are not even 12 months old yet 😜

I've learned a lot from reading this board and the mistakes others have made before me.

It is not called the bleeding edge for nothing. Personally, I wouldn't have flown a brand new type with only a couple of hours of flight time with it in a skyscraper canyon in what they call The Windy City but that's just me. Still, I do feel just a little bad for the guy and it is definitely a learning tool for others out there.

I do agree with @sar104 that the guy probably doesn't want help. He's made lots of videos on YouTube but no posts on the board that can actually help him to either find the aircraft or make a strong case with DJI. I guess there's one at every party!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clang123