DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic 3 color shifting in white balance / color tint

OK, seems to be one of the very cheap lenses.

Another user in DJI official user forum ran a similar test, this time with Canon 5D Mark 4, and Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM lens. Very expensive camera, and lens.

Below are the sample images he posted.

Above: orignal, untouched image
Below: image with increased Contrast and Dehaze (+50).

Notice the "color shift" in both images? And how it got a lot worse with certain post-processing operation (i.e., Dehaze)?

screenshot.jpg

We can compare whole year but when I shoot in the same conditions with my Mavic 2 Pro and my Mini 2, there is no magenta color shifting anywhere. And with my Mavic 3 it's a serious issue (in low-contrast conditions). For me it is unacceptable... Don't care if other camera's (DSLR's) have it too, my other drones don't have the issue (which are cheaper) and my (third) M3 unit have this issue.

400 USD is cheap for a 24-105 Zoom lens. also f/4-7.1 is not a very good spec :)
Even the STM version shouldn't have these issues though.

As an aside, I didn't even realize Canon was pairing the STM with the R6. Seriously? Variable aperture f/7.1 on a $2800 kit?

We can compare whole year but when I shoot in the same conditions with my Mavic 2 Pro and my Mini 2, there is no magenta color shifting anywhere. And with my Mavic 3 it's a serious issue (in low-contrast conditions). For me it is unacceptable... Don't care if other camera's (DSLR's) have it too, my other drones don't have the issue (which are cheaper) and my (third) M3 unit have this issue.
I've not been following the issue too closely, so could you clarify one thing for me? Are you seeing these color casts in JPEG images shot under the same conditions?

I ask because Dehaze causing color shifts has been a known issue across a range of cameras. The fact that M3 files aren't fully supported by LR yet might only be exacerbating it, too.

Reactions: calmar81
I've not been following the issue too closely, so could you clarify one thing for me? Are you seeing these color casts in JPEG images shot under the same conditions?

I ask because Dehaze causing color shifts has been a known issue across a range of cameras. The fact that M3 files aren't fully supported by LR yet might only be exacerbating it, too.

In the JPEG images it's also visible.
I dont use dehaze mostly in LR and even without using the dehaze slider it's clearly visible.
But the strange thing is that the issue sometimes is clearly visible in low-contrast situations and at other times in the same low-contrast situations it's not visible. I hope DJI will fix it in the next firmware update.

In the JPEG images it's also visible.
I dont use dehaze mostly in LR and even without using the dehaze slider it's clearly visible.
But the strange thing is that the issue sometimes is clearly visible in low-contrast situations and at other times in the same low-contrast situations it's not visible. I hope DJI will fix it in the next firmware update.
Thanks for clarifying. That's really odd.

As soon as you have to work in low contrast / overcast / moisturous conditions, you will have to use a combination of increased contrast (and highter saturation) to get proper image. Using dehaze is just a simple way to show what is wrong with the M3 sensor. In real life, I would probably use -let's say- dehaze +33. Enough to get a slight (and therefore unusable) image with a magenta color cast. I'm using the +90 setting with every test, to standardize, and make the problem easiliy visible. When using the M2pro, or the Phantom 4 pro, no problem occurs when using the +90 dehaze setting, see my previous post.

But this is not a manufacturing defect. This is due to the poor quality of the optics on the M3 sensor. Your attempts to replace it with a working copy are pointless.
Magenta vignetting problems are the result of the optics used. To fix it, you have to rebuild the lens from scratch.

But this is not a manufacturing defect. This is due to the poor quality of the optics on the M3 sensor. Your attempts to replace it with a working copy are pointless.
Magenta vignetting problems are the result of the optics used. To fix it, you have to rebuild the lens from scratch.
The form of the magenta area's is what keeps me wondering. If this is an optical problem, shouldn't the magenta area's be more circular?

It is circular. Just take a look on the DNG-Files not with LR, or Photoshop, but with Raw Therapee or Luminar AI.

could you open a raw file for me in raw therapee? I cannot install raw therapee on my M1 macbook..
Why not? I'm also using a M1 (Pro) MBP.

But, take a look on this posting.

The form of the magenta area's is what keeps me wondering. If this is an optical problem, shouldn't the magenta area's be more circular?
Yes, they are more circular but the photo is automatically corrected when it is run in adobe programs. The round shape becomes more square and less regular through corrections. In RawTherapee, the magenta vignette is circular.
Which proves that this is an optical defect that results from the construction of the lens.
Replacing the Mavic 3 with a new copy does not make sense because you will not get rid of the defect of the lens that results from its construction.

Reactions: JustName
Why not? I'm also using a M1 (Pro) MBP.

But, take a look on this posting.

For some reason, I cannot open the program (raw Therapee), guess I'm doing something wrong. But I had a look at your previous post, and I think you're absolutely right, it is indeed an optical problem. Really surprising to see that LR does such weird (non-circular) things to the file. It explains to me why the magenta 'blobs' had a different shape when -for example- a tree was in a part of the image. Thanks a lot!!

Have anyone tested the new firmware (.700) and can tell if the 'magenta colors' are fixed? Even in my 4th unit I have the problem.

Have anyone tested the new firmware (.700) and can tell if the 'magenta colors' are fixed? Even in my 4th unit I have the problem.
I actually finally have used the drone again,
im on a holiday in France and the update took ages with the bad internet connection.
Just checked my picture and especially when using dehaze the right and left side of the images are getting purple.

Also is it me or can't i still find the active tracking option ?

I actually finally have used the drone again,
im on a holiday in France and the update took ages with the bad internet connection.
Just checked my picture and especially when using dehaze the right and left side of the images are getting purple.

Also is it me or can't i still find the active tracking option ?
Sad to hear.
So that issue is still not solved. :(

Maybe active tracking is in another menu now? They changed the layout of the app a little in the latest update.

Okay so I came across this thread after getting my new Mavic 3 Classic drone, and then hearing from someone else that he had been having these issues.

No new posts on the thread since June 2022, does this mean that the issue has been fixed for others?

So far, I'm not noticing magenta casts but I'm definitely getting a green cast. It's hard to edit out too without making the image appear unnatural.

I'd be grateful for any updates from others before I tackle DJI on the issue.

Images below -

1. Unedited - Lighthouse
2. Edited version of same image which I still feel has a green cast and therefore looks a little unnatural? (Grateful for any feedback in case this is my brain telling my eyes this but being mistaken....)
3. Unedited image of the sky
4. Same image but with Vibrance and Green Saturation cranked up to max (I took the same shot immediately after this with my Air 2s and there is zero green in it).

DJI_0385.jpg

DJI_0385-Edit.jpg
DJI_0608.jpg
DJI_0608-2.jpg

Okay so I came across this thread after getting my new Mavic 3 Classic drone, and then hearing from someone else that he had been having these issues.

No new posts on the thread since June 2022, does this mean that the issue has been fixed for others?

So far, I'm not noticing magenta casts but I'm definitely getting a green cast. It's hard to edit out too without making the image appear unnatural.

I'd be grateful for any updates from others before I tackle DJI on the issue.

Images below -

1. Unedited - Lighthouse
2. Edited version of same image which I still feel has a green cast and therefore looks a little unnatural? (Grateful for any feedback in case this is my brain telling my eyes this but being mistaken....)
3. Unedited image of the sky
4. Same image but with Vibrance and Green Saturation cranked up to max (I took the same shot immediately after this with my Air 2s and there is zero green in it).

View attachment 162363

View attachment 162364
View attachment 162366
View attachment 162367
I understand what you mean. After some updates it has gotten a bit better, but it is still an issue and not resolved. It irritates me immensely sometimes. The issue is also one time worse than the other time. It is especially noticeable in low contrast situations.

Reactions: psybear
I'd be contacting DJI for warranty service.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PilotOne