DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic 3 low level flying.

We have to assume the operator knows what he's doing.

I notice he has many surfing videos, so I think he knows what he's doing.

Why do you think this? Just because you see it done in this video doesn't make him a safe pilot that knows what he is doing. Personally I think he is a reckless amatuer that probably has a false sense that - because he's done it once or twice, he will be successful at flights like this in the future. But then, that is the nature of an irresponsible pilot.

Usually when someone like this does crash or cause an accident (and if he hasn't already, he will) - their story begins with a phrase like - "I've done this safely many times and never had a problem so something else must of made it happen" For all the reasons already mentioned, trying to replicate that kind of shot with a drone in proximity to waves, saltwater spray and people, is just a recipe for an accident.

Reactions: AZDave and waynorth
There are plenty of people that think that surfing is a Recipe for Disaster.

There any mahy People that think riding is a Motorcycle is just asking for an amputation .

There are those that think just flying a drone is Wreckless.

This cannot be the Criteria for a drone pilot , as we cannot assume everyone has bad intentions with there drone.

Other drone pilots have been our own worst enemy , not the FAA , not the Law or the Police , as they have stayed out of the way and only show up in the most blatant cases, something to consider.

Were all Reckless Armatures pushing the bonds of Technology , that is the risk we all take, and its so funny that here you have a guy flying his drone for the Surfers who are risking the lives on every wave they take , lol The Irony of it all.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain, Take Risks and Capture the Adventure

Reactions: Ty Pilot
As a long time motorcyclist, I get what you are saying @Phantomrain.org but there is a distinction to be made. Yes riding a motorcycle is dangerous and those who do; either learn what the risks and dangers are, and manage those risks or; they don't. We all know the outcomes of failure to manage those risks.

In the case of this thread, post #4 a asked simple question 'How to replicate a given shot'. Is it not worthy of note that a number of pilots immediately (as experienced pilots will do), recognize the risks? With all due respect, he seems to not have seen the risks but rather was looking for a 'how to'

Risk management is so important, it is part of obtaining a 107 certificate (or any airman certificate for that matter), so offering this perspective allows any new pilots to see what those risks are and why. As I watched the video, there were enough risks to push the "go" "no-go" meter into the red in my opinion.

As the saying goes "there are old pilots and there are bold pilots - but there are no old, bold pilots".

Reactions: Phantomrain.org
As the pilot to this clip I can assure you I am very experienced. This is 📽️ with a mini pro3 not a mavic 3 and in vertical mode. I would never advise to fly at this level and this angle, as you can see I started to fly about 4 meters above but I started to descended and I failed to correct this. As someone with probably more experience than most of you combined you are welcome to ask me any questions alex Instagram@flying___pixels

Ggo
As the pilot to this clip I can assure you I am very experienced. This is 📽️ with a mini pro3 not a mavic 3 and in vertical mode. I would never advise to fly at this level and this angle, as you can see I started to fly about 4 meters above but I started to descended and I failed to correct this. As someone with probably more experience than most of you combined you are welcome to ask me any questions alex Instagram@flying___pixels

Good to hear from you, and welcome to the forum. I assume you watch the short clip posted above. We are all wondering how high you were above the waves, when you made that clip. I thought you were in portrait mode. I sent you a message on Instagram. I haven't checked for a reply yet.

Why do you think this? Just because you see it done in this video doesn't make him a safe pilot that knows what he is doing. Personally I think he is a reckless amatuer that probably has a false sense that - because he's done it once or twice, he will be successful at flights like this in the future. But then, that is the nature of an irresponsible pilot.

Usually when someone like this does crash or cause an accident (and if he hasn't already, he will) - their story begins with a phrase like - "I've done this safely many times and never had a problem so something else must of made it happen" For all the reasons already mentioned, trying to replicate that kind of shot with a drone in proximity to waves, saltwater spray and people, is just a recipe for an accident.
If you watch the clip, I think there are instances where surfers could of hit each other. I still can't tell for sure from that clip if his flying was dangerous. It also could have been illegal.

If he did hit a surfer, he would just lose his drone. I've been hit by my drone before. No big deal, because the props have no mass, and stop almost instantly. I don't think he would fly like that if he thought there was a chance he would hit someone.
I can't figure out how to even begin responding to this. Perhaps you're being facetious?

Zero mass props? No energy and no potential for harm in spinning drone props? Drone collisions with people no big deal?

You flew your own drone into yourself?

Reactions: Meta4 and AZDave
I can't figure out how to even begin responding to this. Perhaps you're being facetious?

Zero mass props? No energy and no potential for harm in spinning drone props? Drone collisions with people no big deal?

You flew your own drone into yourself?
Even though the props are spinning very fast, they weigh very little, so their momentum is fairly low. Momentum causes the damage. So in general, if they hit most parts of a human body, they won't do too much damage. The eyes are an obvious exception.
When I got hit by my mavic pro, was I was flying low over the street in front of my house. A trike, motorcycle with a sidecar, hit it, and caused one of the arms to partially fold up. Then, it just happened to come right at me, and hit my leg. No blood.
My Philippine brother in law did get cut. I was flying off an anchored boat. I was landing, and for some reason he tried to hand catch it. The propeller hit his hand, and he did get cut, and was bleeding. But later, he said the cut wasn't bad. I actually have video of this. I was thinking of posting it here, but never got around to it.
So drone propellers can injure your eyes or fingers, but that is about all. It just like if you hit leaves of a tree, the props will cut them up, because they don't have enough mass to slow the props down fast, but if you hit a tree trunk, nothing will happen to it.

Ggo

Good to hear from you, and welcome to the forum. I assume you watch the short clip posted above. We are all wondering how high you were above the waves, when you made that clip. I thought you were in portrait mode. I sent you a message on Instagram. I haven't checked for a reply yet.
Ggo

I was about 4m when I started but as you fly your drone will drop in hight so when I pulled up I would have been no more than 2m above the wave peak. You have to remember this is happening very fast well trying to keep the surfer in shot. I know of a lot of pilots that fly below the height of the wave but because of the angle of the sun you have to fly at this angle in this location

Reactions: shb
If he did hit a surfer, he would just lose his drone. I've been hit by my drone before. No big deal, because the props have no mass, and stop almost instantly.

I can't even begin to say how ridiculous that comment is. I have, through an error on my part, flown my Air 2 through some low hanging foliage of a scrub oak tree, with the result that the tree lost more than just leaves and yet the props kept the drone in the air. The tips of drone props are sharp and can easily cut human flesh.

Reactions: Ty Pilot
Even though the props are spinning very fast, they weigh very little, so their momentum is fairly low. Momentum causes the damage. So in general, if they hit most parts of a human body, they won't do too much damage. The eyes are an obvious exception.
When I got hit by my mavic pro, was I was flying low over the street in front of my house. A trike, motorcycle with a sidecar, hit it, and caused one of the arms to partially fold up. Then, it just happened to come right at me, and hit my leg. No blood.
My Philippine brother in law did get cut. I was flying off an anchored boat. I was landing, and for some reason he tried to hand catch it. The propeller hit his hand, and he did get cut, and was bleeding. But later, he said the cut wasn't bad. I actually have video of this. I was thinking of posting it here, but never got around to it.
So drone propellers can injure your eyes or fingers, but that is about all. It just like if you hit leaves of a tree, the props will cut them up, because they don't have enough mass to slow the props down fast, but if you hit a tree trunk, nothing will happen to it.

A drone prop that can cut someone's hand could easily slash a gash across their cheek, and that's a lawsuit with a surefire ending.

The first step to recovery when you're trapped in a deep hole is to stop digging.

Reactions: AZDave
As the pilot to this clip I can assure you I am very experienced. ... I would never advise to fly at this level and this angle ..... As someone with probably more experience than most of you combined you are welcome to ask me any questions
Alex ... on this flight how do you ensure that you avoid the potential of a collision with a surfer, given that you are flying backwards with no vision of what is in the path of the drone?

i-NLPxP4R-X2.jpg

Are you aware of the rules in your country regarding how close to people you are allowed to fly?

Alex ... on this flight how do you ensure that you avoid the potential of a collision with a surfer, given that you are flying backwards with no vision of what is in the path of the drone?

i-NLPxP4R-X2.jpg

Are you aware of the rules in your country regarding how close to people you are allowed to fly?
It didn't matter that he was going backward, because he was high enough to avoid hitting anyone.

It didn't matter that he was going backward, because he was high enough to avoid hitting anyone.
You should stop acting like his cheer squad.
That 2nd last screen grab clearly shows that you have no idea whst you are talking about.
All you have done is portray his video in a completely unrealistic and overly positive way.

Last edited:
You should stop acting like his cheer squad.
That 2nd last screen grab clearly shows that you have no idea whst you are talking about.
All you have done is portray his video in a completely unrealistic and overly positive way.
Or you could stop being a negative Nancy And look at the facts did I crash NO ,have I ever crashed No. was anyone hurt No, Do I know the people in the clip yes. Is the drone insight at all times yes. Do you have any understanding of how editing works clearly not. I have over 800 videos on Instagram hundreds of hours of fight time and for not even 5 seconds I Appeared to be to low for YOU to comprehend what is safe and what is not. How about you look at what you are doing first because by the look of your previous posts you are much more dangerous then I am.

Reactions: shb
Or you could stop being a negative Nancy And look at the facts did I crash NO ,have I ever crashed No. was anyone hurt No, Do I know the people in the clip yes. Is the drone insight at all times yes. Do you have any understanding of how editing works clearly not. I have over 800 videos on Instagram hundreds of hours of fight time and for not even 5 seconds I Appeared to be to low for YOU to comprehend what is safe and what is not. How about you look at what you are doing first because by the look of your previous posts you are much more dangerous then I am.
Missing on a blind flight path by two or three feet with four or five foot waves is a pretty silly claim to safety.

Reactions: MS Coast and Meta4

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Whitehammer661