DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic 3 Pro, 7x video, strange halo

Juhanetta

Reactions
I noticed strange soft halo in videos shot with 7x lens. The lighter color kind of bleeds softly around.
The drone is normal (not Cine) version.
This happens in high contrast scenes.
I enclose two screen shots for review.
Is this normal behaviour? It doesn't happen in still pictures.

Capture frame 1.jpg
Capture frame 2.jpg

Its the Sun and your lens is just zooming in on it, this is where a filter can help with that.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain , Land on the water.

Greetings from Birmingham Alabama USA, welcome to the forum! We look forward to hearing from you!

Looks like sun glare to me

Reactions: Phantomrain.org
Greetings from Birmingham Alabama USA, welcome to the forum! We look forward to hearing from you!

Looks like sun glare to me
Thank you for welcoming me!

Must say, this drone is amazing for photography.
I do a lot of panorama and it's easy to get high quality gigapixel panos with 3x and 7x lens!
My hope is that DJI will add automatic panorama shooting mode for 3x mode.

In the pipe picture the sun is actually against the lens, so sure it explains a lot.
Although why this happens only with 7x lens, I don't understand.

My theory is that this ghosting has something to do with 7x optics since it doesn't show in 1x and 3x.
After closer study it appears also in still images, contrary what I told before.
Here is a crop from DNG-picture.
The yellow from the bright side of shirt bleeds.

DNG-crop.jpg
The sun in this picture is almost straight behind the drone, so it can't be sun glare.

Not a big deal for me but I'm just curious to hear if others have found the same thing - or is there something wrong with my lens?

THe First Pic of the Smoke stack - The Sun is reflecting on Steel rims (or whatever) back to the Lense.
ALSO
in PIC#2
.... The clothing is Reflective - and Mirroring his shoulder Back to the Lense.

Filters are Great for this- Nd16 will do the trick
Or Simply turn down the Lighting... Manually
or change the Green Guy's top

Reactions: Touring497
E
I noticed strange soft halo in videos shot with 7x lens. The lighter color kind of bleeds softly around.
The drone is normal (not Cine) version.
This happens in high contrast scenes.
I enclose two screen shots for review.

View attachment 167666
View attachment 167667
Not to be a smart aleck, but could the lens itself need cleaning. If there is an oil or smudge mark from skin or something else it does the same affect. I always check the lens surface to make sure I haven’t inadvertently got my fingerprint on the lens while removing the gimbal protector. I see this on my Canon lenses if the lens is smudged especially around lighting or bright points of light. May be too simple an answer, but worth repeating.

Reactions: Duncan McCall
I'd say it's "normal" in that mine does the same. I think the optics and the sensor for the 7x zoom are just "okay."

The image is overexposed, , and the flare from it radiates out. All cameras be drones or others will have some amount of it. Good lenses with special anti flare coatings help.

It doesn't happen in all pictures because not all pictures have such a difference between the shadows and the highlights.
You have direct reflection of the sun and that results in bright points far brighter than the rest of the scene.
Its the Sun and your lens is just zooming in on it, this is where a filter can help with that.
Filters are Great for this- Nd16 will do the trick
An ND filter isn't the solution, because an ND filter will reduce the light level uniformly across the frame.
Those highlights are direct reflection of the sun and still going to be far brighter than the rest of the scene, even if an ND filter is used.

As a photographer, you need to be aware of lightng problems like this and the best way to prevent the problem is to shoot on an overcast day, because the camera cannot expose properly for bright, glare and the other parts of the scene.

I'd say it's "normal" in that mine does the same. I think the optics and the sensor for the 7x zoom are just "okay."
Ok, that's comforting to hear.
Maybe it's just a limitation of small lens made for long focal lenght. I've never seen this with quality DSLR lenses.

Main thing that 1x and 3x cameras do a brilliant job.
Although I wish the main camera was more narrow.
24 mm is great for video, but for photos 28mm or even 30mm would give more realistic view.
My X5S has 15mm MFT and like it a lot.

Thank you all for your comments!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xa_