DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic 3 Pro gimbal drift

photowolff

Reactions
I just received my Mavic 3 Pro and have been experimenting with the zoom lenses. I'm getting noticeable vertical (pitch) gimbal drift and vibrations when shooting with the 3X and 7X lenses. Anyone else experiencing this? The gimbal pitches and bounces noticeably in the vertical plane. Here's a sample video

Last edited:
Are you flying backwards during this video, or adjusting zoom?

Reactions: GadgetGuy
I'm not seeing anything that is noticeable to me.
Thanks for your reply - the entire frame is bouncing up and down. It is very obvious if you view the video at full screen. Also, the gimbal is pitching up and down slightly without controller input. let me know if you can see it when you view the video full screen (on a computer monitor) Thanks!

Thanks for your reply - the entire frame is bouncing up and down. It is very obvious if you view the video at full screen. Also, the gimbal is pitching up and down slightly without controller input. let me know if you can see it when you view the video full screen (on a computer monitor) Thanks!
Viewing full screen and still not seeing a problem.
Are you experiencing earthquakes? ;-)

Visible to me in the small screen. Very slight but noticeable. I looked to the left side of the screen at one of the buildings to see what you describe. Wether DJI can or will address this issue is unknown. Post results when available.

Thanks for your reply - I'm flying backwards. Are you able to see what I'm referring to? Thanks!
All I see is a wider field of view from the movement. If you want to test, just make sure the drone is stationary.

Visible to me in the small screen. Very slight but noticeable. I looked to the left side of the screen at one of the buildings to see what you describe. Wether DJI can or will address this issue is unknown. Post results when available.
Whatever it is, it is so subtle that no one else will ever notice it or complain about it. I still can't see it. It's probably one of those things that if you are truly focused on it, you probably can't unsee it, but unless one is looking for it, is not distracting in any way. I certainly wouldn’t return a unit over it.

Reactions: merak75
I guess I've never used the original Mavic 3 to see how stable the 7x was on that, but increasing focal length will exaggerate even the smallest movements and I'd be surprised if any gimbal would be good enough to fully compensate for that, particularly when the drone is moving.

Reactions: GadgetGuy
Whatever it is, it is so subtle that no one else will ever notice it or complain about it. I still can't see it. It's probably one of those things that if you are truly focused on it, you probably can't unsee it, but unless one is looking for it, is not distracting in any way. I certainly wouldn’t return a unit over it.
Thanks again for your reply. I have updated the video - I added in a static magenta bar at the horizon. At the beginning of the video, the gimbal pitches down, then slowly returns to its default position. The bouncing of the gimbal is more evident when looking at the buildings relative to the magenta bar. Please take a look at the updated video if you have time. Thanks!

I see your vertical bounce at 00:15. You really have to concentrate to catch it.
Thanks very much for watching. After viewing sample clips on YouTube from other reviewers, it seems the gimbal bouncing is common. It's less noticeable because most people only post 2-4 second clips of the 7x zoom.

I guess I've never used the original Mavic 3 to see how stable the 7x was on that, but increasing focal length will exaggerate even the smallest movements and I'd be surprised if any gimbal would be good enough to fully compensate for that, particularly when the drone is moving.
Thanks for watching my video and your feedback. It seems that this is the best the gimbal can do. When using the zoom lenses I will have to fly very slowly in calm conditions and rely on stabilization software. I have updated my video with a magenta bar overlay at the horizon. The bouncing and inadvertent pitching of the gimbal is much more evident. Take a look if you have time.

Thanks for your feedback. After viewing other clips on YouTube, it seems this bouncing and inadvertent pitching is common. I think that this is the limitations of the current hardware/software. I will have to live with this.

All I see is a wider field of view from the movement. If you want to test, just make sure the drone is stationary.
Hi - thanks for watching and your feedback. I have updated the video to better illustrate the pitching and bouncing - take a look if you have time. Thanks!

Thanks again for your reply. I have updated the video - I added in a static magenta bar at the horizon. At the beginning of the video, the gimbal pitches down, then slowly returns to its default position. The bouncing of the gimbal is more evident when looking at the buildings relative to the magenta bar. Please take a look at the updated video if you have time. Thanks!
I have looked at it again. Still not anything that is distracting. It's very subtle, and you are likely the only one who would notice it in a video, without pointing it out to someone else first, and adding a reference line. Your gimbal is fine. This is 7x that magnifies every tiny movement. You'd be hard-pressed to do better on a terrestrial camera without major image stabilization from a fancy gyroscopic rig!

Thanks for your feedback. After viewing other clips on YouTube, it seems this bouncing and inadvertent pitching is common. I think that this is the limitations of the current hardware/software. I will have to live with this.
No one else will ever notice it.

I have looked at it again. Still not anything that is distracting. It's very subtle, and you are likely the only one who would notice it in a video, without pointing it out to someone else first, and adding a reference line. Your gimbal is fine. This is 7x that magnifies every tiny movement. You'd be hard-pressed to do better on a terrestrial camera without major image stabilization from a fancy gyroscopic rig!
Thanks again for your feedback - it's my first time shooting with a 7x tele on a drone. I agree my expectations were unrealistic. I will be more mindful of the limitations going forward. I appreciate you and everyone else who offered insights!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lucian