DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic 3 Pro with RC remote controller - 1-4 sec delay when switching cameras?

SkywalkerFeng

Reactions
Site
www.instagram.com
I have the Mavic 3 Pro with RC remote controller, and I noticed a 1-4 sec delay when switching between 1X, 3X and 7X cameras. The delay is quite annoying. I am not sure if this is due to the poor firmware optimization, or a hardware limitation of the RC controller?

For those of you who purchased Mavic 3 Pro with RC Pro controller, do you experience the same level of delay when switching between different cameras?

Reactions: GadgetGuy
Yup - not a quick switch by any means with my RC Pro. Quite similar to your experience.

Last edited:
Yep, same delay. When you click the remote has a quick haptic but the view is slow to change. I am hopeful firmware will deal with it in the future.

Same here, slight delay when transitioning across cameras. Hopefully DJI will address this in a future firmware update, to include adding D-Log M to the tele lens for consistency color profiles while filming.

I assigned mine to the C3 button and the result is the same, delay when switching cameras.

I assigned mine to the C3 button and the result is the same, delay when switching cameras.
I think the Mavic 3 is the same...

I was playing with the M3P today... I assigned to C2 I think... definitely a delay but nothing too crazy. Would be nice if it speedier.

I think the Mavic 3 is the same...

I was playing with the M3P today... I assigned to C2 I think... definitely a delay but nothing too crazy. Would be nice if it speedier.
With my Mavic 3 ( no Pro) and RC Pro it takes less than 2 sec to switch from 1x to 7x camera and about 2 1/2sec back from 7x to 1x. I have the "5D press" button assigned to toggle between the two cameras.

Last edited:
With my Mavic 3 ( no Pro) and RC Pro it takes less than 2 sec to switch from 1x to 7x camera and about 2 1/2sec back from 7x to 1x. I have the "5D press" button assigned to toggle between the two cameras.
My old Mavic 3 was much faster switching between 1x and 7x than what I am seeing with the 1x, 3x, and 7x switching with the Mavic 3 Pro. Using the same RC Pro controller in both cases.

I have camera switching assigned to C1 for both drones.

Oddly, in Explore Mode, it switches rather seamlessly as you increase the digital zoom level, forcing the switch to the next telephoto lens !

My uneducated guess is that perhaps in normal 3 camera mode in order to reduce drain on the battery, only the "working camera" is powered up and the other two are completely switched off. Remember that they had to shorten the max flight time in the specs due to increased weight. Maybe they try to save as much power as possible to maximize the flight time and this is their way to do it. Now when switching between cameras they need to boot up before becoming operational hence the longer time it takes to switch. Maybe in Explore Mode they are all powered up and that is why the transition from 1x to 3x to 7x is kind of "seamless" and almost instantaneous. Food for thought.. 😀

Last edited:
My uneducated guess is that perhaps in normal 3 camera mode in order to reduce drain on the battery, only the "working camera" is powered up and the other two are completely switched off. Remember that they had to shorten the max flight time in the specs due to increased weight. Maybe they try to save as much power as possible to maximize the flight time and this is their way to do it. Now when switching between cameras they need to boot up before becoming operational hence the longer time it takes to switch. Maybe in Explore Mode they are all powered up and that is why the transition from 1x to 3x to 7x is kind of "seemless" and almost instantaneous. Food for thought.. 😀

Even if that's the case, DJI should have made it as an option in the settings, "camera switch - high performance v.s. power saving", to give user the freedom when they need it in certain situations. For example, when shooting the running animals on African safari, or racing bikes on a mountain trail, it is critical that pilots have fast access to each camera to ensure accurate framing for that "decisive moment". This drone is named "Mavic 3 Pro", and Pro pilots know what they are doing. Their creative potential should not be limited by the thought on power saving. This is similar to the OLED viewfinder for Sony's high end mirrorless camera, which has a user setting "normal frame rate v.s. high frame rate". The high frame rate consumes more power, but allows user to capture fast-moving objects with better accuracy.

Even if that's the case, DJI should have made it as an option in the settings, "camera switch - high performance v.s. power saving", to give user the freedom when they need it in certain situations. For example, when shooting the running animals on African safari, or racing bikes on a mountain trail, it is critical that pilots have fast access to each camera to ensure accurate framing for that "decisive moment". This drone is named "Mavic 3 Pro", and Pro pilots know what they are doing. Their creative potential should not be limited by the thought on power saving. This is similar to the OLED viewfinder for Sony's high end mirrorless camera, which has a user setting "normal frame rate v.s. high frame rate". The high frame rate consumes more power, but allows user to capture fast-moving objects with better accuracy.
If enough people complain to DJI they might address it in one of the future FW. Maybe even give the 7x camera Dlog-M to make the color consistent across all 3 cameras when shooting video which is very un-Pro at the moment. Normal D-log for all 3 would be awesome!!

Yet on the Mavic 3 Enterprise, my understanding is that both cameras are able to record simultaneously which would be even better! Imagine recording simultaneously on all 3 cameras, and instantaneously switching between them for your FPV display!

How about changing camera settings and modes or switching from photo to video. Does it lag for you?

This Seems Like a Software Glitch -
There is No Reason why it should Work this Way>

This only Happens at excessive distances. Mine was tested at 3km out. I noticed the 1-4 Sec Delay for a NUMBER of things including the ZOOM - and the Camera Alignment Up or DOWN.

It seems to keep the instructions in Memory - and iterates through these in 10-20 seconds Later. (This can be dangerous) - Since Flight Controls on the RC Itself happen instantaneously. --- So If asking for ZOOMING then Changing the Buttons ... then PANNING UP... the Drone May travel forward but the 20 second delay kicks in later !!!

I did a Test by Selecting the Explore Option - then Zooming. It was a Lot smoother as it Automatically swtiches Cameras ITSELF

This Seems Like a Software Glitch -
There is No Reason why it should Work this Way>

This only Happens at excessive distances. Mine was tested at 3km out. I noticed the 1-4 Sec Delay for a NUMBER of things including the ZOOM - and the Camera Alignment Up or DOWN.

It seems to keep the instructions in Memory - and iterates through these in 10-20 seconds Later. (This can be dangerous) - Since Flight Controls on the RC Itself happen instantaneously. --- So If asking for ZOOMING then Changing the Buttons ... then PANNING UP... the Drone May travel forward but the 20 second delay kicks in later !!!

I did a Test by Selecting the Explore Option - then Zooming. It was a Lot smoother as it Automatically swtiches Cameras ITSELF
If it is happening at excessive distances, the communication protocol prioritizes all stick inputs and telemetry over any camera controls, before losing all signal communication, and initiating RTH. You can find yourself stuck in 7x or even 28x while having full drone control, but no gimbal or zoom control! Essentially, you are then flying blind with telescopic vision! Then, when your camera command is finally processed with a huge delay, it is no longer relevant. Your gimbal change overshoots and your zoom kicks in, ruining any video or cinematic move you were attempting, or losing the subject you were tracking visually on the FPV!

Explore is better, but still has all the same issues!
It's better than the video feed freezing up and going black, but not much better!
I have learned to keep the video at 1x when the signal gets sketchy to maintain situational awareness if I lose camera control. Continuous video with the camera at an acceptable angle still allows camera control with the yaw, but you lose gimbal control.

If it is happening at excessive distances, the communication protocol prioritizes all stick inputs and telemetry over any camera controls, before losing all signal communication, and initiating RTH. You can find yourself stuck in 7x or even 28x while having full drone control, but no gimbal or zoom control! Essentially, you are then flying blind with telescopic vision! Then, when your camera command is finally processed with a huge delay, it is no longer relevant. Your gimbal change overshoots and your zoom kicks in, ruining any video or cinematic move you were attempting, or losing the subject you were tracking visually on the FPV!

Explore is better, but still has all the same issues!
It's better than the video feed freezing up and going black, but not much better!
I have learned to keep the video at 1x when the signal gets sketchy to maintain situational awareness if I lose camera control. Continuous video with the camera at an acceptable angle still allows camera control with the yaw, but you lose gimbal control.
Yes thats exactly whats happening -
Iv not had this before with the Mavic Zoom -

You said
you are then flying blind with telescopic vision! Then, when your camera command is finally processed with a huge delay, it is no longer relevant.
... and Extremely Dangerous ....
Explore Just adds a 20 second Delay to a ZOOM - you needed earlier... and when Navigating in a tight spot could lead to LOSS.
This urgently needs attention ...

Good answer !

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Roger-N