DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic 3 Release Date 11/5/2021!

Drone Master

Rest In Peace, Fellow Pilot
Premium Pilot
Reactions
It’s a bit ballsy of him to rub it in the face of the competition that DJI usually launches directly after the reveal. With how screwed up the supply chain is right now it wouldn’t be surprising if it has a rocky launch.
That would be a possibility. Hopefully it won’t be a repeat of the original Mavic Pro launch in 2016. Many didn’t receive their drone until 6 weeks later after it was released.

Goes a long way to explaining why the SDK for the 2s and mini 2 etc is taking so long, burning the midnight oil to rush out the latest offering before xmas, just about every tech manufacturer does this.

Reactions: Mavic-Master88
Notice that DJI did not abandon the "Mavic" name on this model. I wonder why? All indications were that that's where DJI was headed. However, the controller remains a mystery. I tried to google the RM510 controller and nothing came up. You will note that it is listed at 750g, but interestingly my Mini 2 controller only weighs 390g! My Mavic 2 Pro controller weighs 317g. That weight reference has got to be a mistake, no? If not?????

1633052201981.png

P.S. I think DJI is also trying to stay ahead of the Autel EVO III also soon to be released behind the Nano and Lite models. These new Autel offerings offer serious alternatives to the DJI drones which have dominated the market until this point. I'm just starting to get the bug for another drone and looking either the Lite or EVO III. While I'm sure the Mavic 3 will be great, if the improved handling of the Autel drones is what they claim, my next drone will be one that does not have geofencing unless the Mavic 3 impresses me to the point where I'll just bite the bullet on that.

Also interesting is Autel's sensors are RYYB developed by Huawei and Leica compared to the traditional RGGB. RYYB is reputed to have better low light response. I'm on the fence with variable aperture, but have been spoiled with my Mavic 2 Pro. I think DJI is smart to get out of the blocks early with this one.

Notice that DJI did not abandon the "Mavic" name on this model. I wonder why? All indications were that that's where DJI was headed. However, the controller remains a mystery. I tried to google the RM510 controller and nothing came up. You will note that it is listed at 750g, but interestingly my Mini 2 controller only weighs 390g! My Mavic 2 Pro controller weighs 317g. That weight reference has got to be a mistake, no? If not?????

View attachment 135563
That weight of 750g for a controller is almost the same weight of the current smart controller. So, maybe that is the weight of the new Smart Controller Pro. Because I do not think the regular remote that comes with the Mavic 3 weighs that much.

Reactions: globetrotterdrone
It’s a bit ballsy of him to rub it in the face of the competition that DJI usually launches directly after the reveal. With how screwed up the supply chain is right now it wouldn’t be surprising if it has a rocky launch.
Hopefully it won't be like the new xbox that you still can't find!! With the supply chain situation being what it is as you pointed out this will probably be the reality :(.

Reactions: Corsair415

View attachment 135563
I suspect they are keeping the Mavic brand for the prosumer/pro tier drones. That is what it was originally and then it got watered down by the mini and the air and air2.

Reactions: Emanáku
Hopefully it won't be like the new xbox that you still can't find!! With the supply chain situation being what it is as you pointed out this will probably be the reality :(.
This drone will be limited in supply. Something tells me that some people will buy it just to turn around and sell it. Buy it. Do not open it. Put it up for sale for $200 more and up. I am sure it will sell because this drone will be limited in supply. Well, I have already sold my Mavic 2 Pro with smart controller. I hope this drone comes out soon so I can buy it the first day we are allowed to order it, before I change my mind and use this money for something else.

Last edited:
Are people still saying a MFT sensor on the main camera? I’m still wrapping my head around how they could accomplish that with the amount of glass they are showing in the photos. Unless that is only on the Cine model which we have yet to see.

Are people still saying a MFT sensor on the main camera? I’m still wrapping my head around how they could accomplish that with the amount of glass they are showing in the photos. Unless that is only on the Cine model which we have yet to see.

A M43 sensor really isn't very big, only around 80% larger than the 1" sensor in the M2P and that drone has a very small camera housing/gimbal. The M3 camera housing looks significantly bigger, as far as we can see in the photos anyway, even ignoring the telephoto camera above it. All current leaked material still suggests a M43 sensor and it makes sense now that they have a 1" sensor in the Air 2S that something bigger/better should be in the M3. A 24mm F2.8 lens with a M43 sensor only needs to have a (minimum) front lens element diameter of 4.3mm (the actual lens, not the housing), which doesn't look unreasonable at all based on the photos.

I tried to google the RM510 controller and nothing came up. You will note that it is listed at 750g, but interestingly my Mini 2 controller only weighs 390g! My Mavic 2 Pro controller weighs 317g. That weight reference has got to be a mistake, no? If not?????
It has already been answered a bit but I am virtually certain that weight pertains to the new smart controller. The basic model Mavic 3 is believed to be coming with the same remote as the Air 2S.

It has already been answered a bit but I am virtually certain that weight pertains to the new smart controller. The basic model Mavic 3 is believed to be coming with the same remote as the Air 2S.
I have to believe you're correct. It seems to have been DJI's direction to eliminate parallel manufacturing lines and different parts and dies when they could get by with one that could cover then entire "Mavic" lineup. Interesting that the leaked specs have the RM510 probably the updated smart controller instead of whatever standard controller that will come with the basic and fly more packages... Unless the flymore now will be with the RM510 and not a standard controller, providing a margin incentive, especially if it is packaged so that someone could get the smart controller cheaper than ala carte. I dunno? If I'm going to spend $2000 on a top tier prosumer drone, why not an extra $300/$400 for that extra goodie? I have to wonderer what the Mini 2 controller cost to make vs the old Mavic 2 controller with the built in screen? I personally like the layout of the Mavic 2 controller with all its extra buttons and display more than the Mini 2 version. Were I to buy the Mavic 3 I'd be tempted to upgrade if it appeared that the smart controller were discounted in the package.

Reactions: NG Wildman
A M43 sensor really isn't very big, only around 80% larger than the 1" sensor in the M2P and that drone has a very small camera housing/gimbal. The M3 camera housing looks significantly bigger, as far as we can see in the photos anyway, even ignoring the telephoto camera above it. All current leaked material still suggests a M43 sensor and it makes sense now that they have a 1" sensor in the Air 2S that something bigger/better should be in the M3. A 24mm F2.8 lens with a M43 sensor only needs to have a (minimum) front lens element diameter of 4.3mm (the actual lens, not the housing), which doesn't look unreasonable at all based on the photos.
A MFT sensor is nearly twice as large as a 1” sensor. A 1” sensor is 116.16mm2 and a MFT sensor is 224.9mm2.

4.3mm is the size of the entrance pupil on all 12mm f/2.8 lenses which is irrelevant to the size of sensor or lens.

For some context here’s what an existing 12mm f/2.8 lens for MFT looks like.D2B01E16-0B27-45C1-9E1A-EC959F677721.jpeg
AC0091FA-7F37-4021-BB0C-DDC3D795A5F7.jpegLooking at the X5s you can see the inner circle is the image circle size.
32547C8C-2FFF-4762-A871-07031DAF09FA.jpeg
I hope the rumors are true. I’d be the first one in line to buy one but these rumored specs read a little too much like a wish list.

A MFT sensor is nearly twice as large as a 1” sensor. A 1” sensor is 116.16mm2 and a MFT sensor is 224.9mm2.

4.3mm is the size of the entrance pupil on all 12mm f/2.8 lenses which is irrelevant to the size of sensor or lens.

For some context here’s what an existing 12mm f/2.8 lens for MFT looks like.
Looking at the X5s you can see the inner circle is the image circle size.

I hope the rumors are true. I’d be the first one in line to buy one but these rumored specs read a little too much like a wish list.

Since you pretty much repeated everything I said haha, I will assume you agree. You can't use MILC lenses designed for a Panasonic GH body or even a Zenmuse body for a size comparison relative to one-off non-ILC camera designs like on M3. Apples and oranges. Non-interchangeable designs will almost always be smaller. Also 4.3mm would be the minimum size of the front element, it does not have to be that size, it just can't be smaller - it is relevant because some people may not be aware that the 24mm F2.8 DJI advertises is actually a 12mm F2.8 and it's the use with a M43 sensor that makes it a 24mm equivalent relative to full frame. Anyways, hopefully the leaked info is right - none of it is at all unreasonable looking at the specs.

Last edited:
Since you pretty much repeated everything I said haha, I will assume you agree. You can't use MILC lenses designed for a Panasonic GH body or even a Zenmuse body for a size comparison relative to one-off non-ILC camera designs like on M3. Apples and oranges. Non-interchangeable designs will almost always be smaller. Also 4.3mm would be the minimum size of the front element, it does not have to be that size, it just can't be smaller - it is relevant because some people may not be aware that the 24mm F2.8 DJI advertises is actually a 12mm F2.8 and it's the use with a M43 sensor that makes it a 24mm equivalent relative to full frame. Anyways, hopefully the leaked info is right - none of it is at all unreasonable looking at the specs.
I think we are looking at the same info and just interpreting it differently that’s all.

I hope I’m wrong it but it seems too good to be true.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fast54