DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic 3 Release Date 11/5/2021!

Honestly I think $5000 for the Cine package if it has an SSD and records ProRes is pretty cheap. An I2 with similar capabilities and three battery changes is well over $10,000.

Relatively speaking, I agree it could be a bargain. Most customers though will be comparing it to the M2P rather than an Inspire 2 which is a much more capable platform overall. I don't think many would be cross shopping the two as the target markets are so different. From an image quality standpoint though they could be extremely similar and that is a big win for those not needing the professional platform of the Inspire 2.

Last edited:
Reactions: globetrotterdrone
Honestly I think $5000 for the Cine package if it has an SSD and records ProRes is pretty cheap. An I2 with similar capabilities and three battery changes is well over $10,000.
There are a few issues with this price point should it come to that the first being it will entirely change their customer base. Most of us who have been flying M1's and M2's will surely balk at the price. Right now I'm evaluating Autel EVO III for my next drone, if only to escape the geofencing nonsense. That will be matter of seeing the reviews to see how it handles.

Anyone who knows anything about SSD cards will know that the retail price of a 1TB internal SSD card will be under $200. ProRes is nice, but if the price tag is $5000 for SSD+ProRes+Smart controller, and all else is equal with the other variants, a lot of folks will seek other alternatives. If ProRes is required, while not like shooting in ProRes the native files cans be converted to ProRes.

Reactions: Hexenhammer
I'd like to think that I'm a fairly common cross section of the drone market. I'm not a professional. I like "techy" toys. I have a fair amount of disposable income. I always want the next best thing even when the current or previous best thing still functions perfectly. I often buy things that way beyond what I "need" because the budget usually allows for it.

That being said. I was pretty much all in on pre-ordering one of these things if I could get the bird with the smart controller for somewhere in the $3500 range. But now if we are talking closer to $5000 for that...I'm a bit more hesitant.

I guess if you are a professional, which is probably what this is aimed at, an extra $1500 in the grand scheme of things probably isn't going to be a huge deal breaker.

Reactions: Greenflash
I don't understand all the worry about the MSRP of the Cine package - nobody has to buy that. You can buy the Fly More Combo + SC for probably $3300 based on the leaked pricing. Then buy a $100 pack of ND filters and that is probably sufficient for 90% of customers. If you don't need the SC well then obviously it's a lot cheaper yet.

Unless they severely limit video performance somehow of the non-SSD model, I don't think it will be a big deal for most people.

I guess some of the worries derive from the Cine package being the only with the SC v2 included as far as it has been rumoured.

Considering the price, availability and not knowing if the older SC v1 might be supported by DJI, that is cumbersome to some (including me).

Reactions: mschaffer66
I don't understand all the worry about the MSRP of the Cine package - nobody has to buy that. You can buy the Fly More Combo + SC for probably $3300 based on the leaked pricing. Then buy a $100 pack of ND filters and that is probably sufficient for 90% of customers. If you don't need the SC well then obviously it's a lot cheaper yet.

Unless they severely limit video performance somehow of the non-SSD model, I don't think it will be a big deal for most people.
I guess some of the worries derive from the Cine package being the only with the SC v2 included as far as it has been rumoured.

Considering the price, availability and not knowing if the older SC v1 might be supported by DJI, that is cumbersome to some (including me).

Agreed on both points. The SC is something that I would like. In todays chip shortage world my concern is that the stock for individual SC sales may be very limited or come way after the launch of the 3.

Either way I suppose it is what it is.

On a side note. I guess in a way the price doesn't seem crazy compared to other things. EVERYTHING is getting stupid expensive. I was recently pricing out a new car hauler...$4000 for something that used to be half that...or less. A friend of mine bought a cool car lift for his garage less than a year ago for $2500. The exact same model is now $3700. Stuff is crazy.

The SC was offered both as a standalone and just with the drone for the M2 - So far anyway, we have no reason they won't do the same for the M3 / SC v2. Assuming they do the same thing, people will be able to make their own combos, customizing what they need. If the only way to get the SC v2 is with the Cine package, that will suck and I will be very surprised. If anything, it might just not be available as a standalone right at launch - I believe that was the same deal with the M2 / v1 SC as well.

Also, the Air 2 S has Occusync 3.0 and is compatible with the current SC, so I am not sure why that wouldn't also apply to the M3. Potentially good news for existing SC owners, and also the SC v1 is definitely available as a standalone. Given that it's illegal to fly out of VLOS anyway, the difference between 10km and 15km transmission is a moot point other than maybe better interference resistance.

Last edited:
@CanadaDrone
I certainly did not mean, that the SC v2 is not seperately available, but considering all the shortages nowadays, might have a hefty price tag and still is limited ... like GPUs for computers. Only the Cine package gets you that from the start. Like it has been with major camera producers, where you could not buy the body but have to chose the kit and sell the lens.

And from a technical side, I am 99 % confident, that the SC v1 is capable with OC 2.0 to handle the Mavic 3. But the question is, if DJI is going to support it and if so, right from the start, 6 months later, etc.? That might be interdependent to the availability of the new SC v2. They may support v1 right away if the production of v2 may have slowed down but they may not, if they doubt actual sales.

But we will see soon.

Last edited:
@CanadaDrone
I certainly did not mean, that the SC v2 is not seperately available, but considering all the shortages nowadays, might have a hefty price tag and still is limited ... like GPUs for computers. Only the Cine package gets you that from the start. Like it has been with major camera producers, where you could not buy the body but have to chose the kit and sell the lens.

And from a technical side, I am 99 % confident, that the SC v1 is capable with OC 2.0 to handle the Mavic 3. But the question is, if DJI is going to support it and if so, right from the start, 6 months later, etc.? That might be interdependent to the availability of the new SC v2. They may support v1 right away if the production of v2 may have slowed down but they may not, if they doubt actual sales.

But we will see soon.

I would be curious to know how much difference there is between OS 2.0 and 3.0 on the remote side. I have even read convincing arguments that it is mostly software based, but I don't have any objective way of confirming that. Regardless of what DJI does, if the SCv1 is supported from the get-go, that will benefit many users, at least until the pandemic shortages improved, assuming that is an issue for them. I assume it will be, because it would be strange for the Air2S to support it and not the M3, both having OS 3.0.

At the end of the day, DJI wants to sell as many drones as possible and their marketing department isn't stupid. The Cine package will be more of a niche product (especially if part of the premium is for ProRes licensing or something), so I would be very surprised if they didn't offer some other ways for people to get excited about the M3 who don't need everything it comes with. Assuming you will be able to buy the SCv2 at some point as a standalone, everyone will be able to have a fly more combo + SC for a little over $3K USD which I think is a price most would be willing to pay. Also, there is nothing wrong with flying with the normal controller and a smartphone, which doesn't take away from the features of the M3 and lowers the price by at least $500 USD.

The M3 release also won't make the Air 2S or M2P any less capable, so costumers still have a lot of great options at different price points. The Air 2S all but replaces the M2P aside from the variable aperture, which granted for some people is a critical feature.

I see a lot of people freaking out over the possibility of a $4600+ price tag and I just don't get it because there are so many other options aside from the Cine package. DJI knows full well that won't be the volume seller so I am optimistic things won't be too bad.

@CanadaDrone
You are right, there's no need to get hysterical even upon the soon release of the Mavic 3. ;-)
The Mavic 2 Pro is still a banger and everytime I fly, I really enjoy it and feels like I discovered something new with the bird's eye view.

That said, there's one thing, that keeps dragging me to the M3 and that is the potential C mark/label with the announced <920 g. At least in Europe, the M2P will soon be too heavy and restricted and additional steps (ie online test, personal examination in front of certification authority, etc.) necessary (even if it would get a c label ex post which is 99 % unlikely). You still can fly but have to be extra cautious.

So, the M3 could step right in and probably be (derived from the specs) classified as a C1 drone: near to humans and online test only which is quite a thing compared to the M2P.

At least here in Europe this certification issue is pending and the hobby itself getting harder with people ignoring rules alltogether or people feeling constantly spyed on.

Maybe that explains a bit, how I feel and why the M3 could solve some issues here.
But nonetheless, from a technical side, the M2P is still an stunning product.

Addition: I have explicitly waited for a dedicated controller and have not bought the drone before. Flying with my phone and the controller is something I really can't stand. But that's probably just me coming from RC modelling.

Reactions: CanadaDrone

Its far from cheap.

DJI uses the same scamming tricks other brands did when they had no competition.

Anyone whos into videography remembers the RED camera debacle: they have expensive SSD cartridges sold for their cameras, but someone eventually cracked one and behold its a standard cheapo SATA SSD, repackaged into their "magic" cartridge, he even made then in china and started to sell for huge discount [I think he got sued]

DJI went even farther then that, they sell a 960gb a 70$ market value M.2 SATA drive, inside custom shell "CINESSD" for 1599$. I bet they pay maybe 40$ to 50$ per actual SSD in bulk.

There is nothing we can do right now, but we are getting scammed and Drone Photographers are going to eat it up because no alternative.
Its not a "fair" price when the best and fastest 2TB PCIe Gen4 SSD Samsung 980 Pro goes for 350USD, and DJI will be using a M.2 SATA type SSD inside for sure and thats 200$ plus minus per 2TB.

SATA is more then enough for Pro Res 4K, the Ninja V recorder uses standard of the shelf 2.5 inch SSD drives and it supports PRO RES 4K/60 + HDR, BTW, they also sell their "magic" ssds for double to tripple price, but for like 50$ they sell a set of 5 empty cartriges to put your own SSD inside. Thats pro-consumer.

If they sell 960GB for 1599USD, the 2TB will be 2500USD to 3000USD and they doing it because they can, because they have no competition.
If people ask them, i bet their answer will be that their magic drives are optimized for "heat" and "crash resistance", which translates as: 'we made metal cartridges that act like a heatsink'.

• Haha
Its far from cheap.

DJI uses the same scamming tricks other brands did when they had no competition.

Anyone whos into videography remembers the RED camera debacle: they have expensive SSD cartridges sold for their cameras, but someone eventually cracked one and behold its a standard cheapo SATA SSD, repackaged into their "magic" cartridge, he even made then in china and started to sell for huge discount [I think he got sued]

DJI went even farther then that, they sell a 960gb a 70$ market value M.2 SATA drive, inside custom shell "CINESSD" for 1599$. I bet they pay maybe 40$ to 50$ per actual SSD in bulk.

There is nothing we can do right now, but we are getting scammed and Drone Photographers are going to eat it up because no alternative.
Its not a "fair" price when the best and fastest 2TB PCIe Gen4 SSD Samsung 980 Pro goes for 350USD, and DJI will be using a M.2 SATA type SSD inside for sure and thats 200$ plus minus per 2TB.

SATA is more then enough for Pro Res 4K, the Ninja V recorder uses standard of the shelf 2.5 inch SSD drives and it supports PRO RES 4K/60 + HDR, BTW, they also sell their "magic" ssds for double to tripple price, but for like 50$ they sell a set of 5 empty cartriges to put your own SSD inside. Thats pro-consumer.

If they sell 960GB for 1599USD, the 2TB will be 2500USD to 3000USD and they doing it because they can, because they have no competition.
If people ask them, i bet their answer will be that their magic drives are optimized for "heat" and "crash resistance", which translates as: 'we made metal cartridges that act like a heatsink'.
I never said it was fair I just said it was cheap compared to equipment in this category and many will find it worth it. As you mentioned a 960 GB DJI CINESSD is $1600, a 960 GB Red Mag is $2350 and Sony Raw recording media can be north of $4000 for a 1 TB SSD and you still have to buy proprietary readers that can cost just as much.

It’s true that these parts are disgustingly over priced compared to the cost to make but once you have a camera that uses cine mags it is incredibly frustrating to go back to something that doesn’t use them. The reliability, speed, durability, capacity, and simplicity they afford makes the cost worth while even if you are getting totally fleeced on the cost based on the parts.

I would remind you that an Atomos Ninja V+ (which is what would be required to record 5.4k ProRes) with a 1 TB SSD and all the batteries, cords, and mounting hardware you’d need you are still looking at $1400+ and of course this option isn’t realistic on a drone anyway.

Last edited:
Can you share your source? I haven't been able to find the detailed specs of that SSD but maybe I missed something. I don't doubt it's overpriced but there is a huge difference between, for example, a $70 SSD and a $300 SSD of the same capacity.

I'd like to think that I'm a fairly common cross section of the drone market. I'm not a professional. I like "techy" toys. I have a fair amount of disposable income. I always want the next best thing even when the current or previous best thing still functions perfectly. I often buy things that way beyond what I "need" because the budget usually allows for it.

That being said. I was pretty much all in on pre-ordering one of these things if I could get the bird with the smart controller for somewhere in the $3500 range. But now if we are talking closer to $5000 for that...I'm a bit more hesitant.

$3,500 is not a reasonable price for the typical hobbyist market that the Mavic series is aimed at.

Even with supply problems, I can't see the M3 price being more than $1,500-$1,700. That's about the upper limit for pure hobbyists. Pros and semi-pros can justify the more expensive Inspire series if they need that kind of platform.

Reactions: Sully53
Can you share your source? I haven't been able to find the detailed specs of that SSD but maybe I missed something. I don't doubt it's overpriced but there is a huge difference between, for example, a $70 SSD and a $300 SSD of the same capacity.
The price i stated is current DJI CINESSD price

$3,500 is not a reasonable price for the typical hobbyist market that the Mavic series is aimed at.

Even with supply problems, I can't see the M3 price being more than $1,500-$1,700. That's about the upper limit for pure hobbyists. Pros and semi-pros can justify the more expensive Inspire series if they need that kind of platform.

For sure, since its free, when you buy stuff for business you just write it off

Well the Air2S with smart controller is already $1749 so you are dreaming if you think the M3 cine package is going to be less than that.

As someone who has an I2 I can tell you there is definitely a market for a Mavic sized drone with Pro video features. Look at the existence of the M2 Enterprise Advanced where the fly more package with smart controller is $7000.

I guarantee the market for a Mavic 3 with the rumored specs and brand new “Pro” smart controller at $5000 is way larger than the M2EA. Besides being more capable the I2 is massive and heavy and really can’t be taken too far from a vehicle due to the size and weight which is often a huge problem. If the M3 cine can fix this issue it will fly off the shelves at $5000.

Also, I think you guys are thinking of this smart controller as the successor to the original smart controller. I kind out doubt that. They are calling it the “Smart controller Pro” so it probably has other features maybe similar to the Cendence controller. If you look at the M300 the smart controller for that model is $1250 and that may be closer to what we are talking about here. The non-cine M3 might use the old smart controller and not even be able to use the pro one, who knows. In DJI product life cycle terms the smart controller is still pretty new.

I definitely don’t think the M2 cine is marketed towards hobbyists. hobbyists don’t need or want to record in ProRes. I go through multiple Terabytes per day easy filming ProRes with the I2. What hobbyist can realistically handle that much data?

Since you pretty much repeated everything I said haha, I will assume you agree. You can't use MILC lenses designed for a Panasonic GH body or even a Zenmuse body for a size comparison relative to one-off non-ILC camera designs like on M3. Apples and oranges. Non-interchangeable designs will almost always be smaller. Also 4.3mm would be the minimum size of the front element, it does not have to be that size, it just can't be smaller - it is relevant because some people may not be aware that the 24mm F2.8 DJI advertises is actually a 12mm F2.8 and it's the use with a M43 sensor that makes it a 24mm equivalent relative to full frame. Anyways, hopefully the leaked info is right - none of it is at all unreasonable looking at the specs.
You are speaking my dream!

A quality land camera with interchangeable lenses can easily run you $2000++.so $2400 for a good camera that flies is not a big leap.

Reactions: brett8883
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
magic31