DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic 3 Release Date 11/5/2021!

The M3 just has one big game changing component for me and that is the 7x tele cam. One one hand it offers the opportunity to stay away from a critical distance to the subject/object you indent to capture. On the other hand I wonder how to fly a drone safely looking to a 7x tele cam. Thoughts anyone?

The M3 just has one big game changing component for me and that is the 7x tele cam. One one hand it offers the opportunity to stay away from a critical distance to the subject/object you indent to capture. On the other hand I wonder how to fly a drone safely looking to a 7x tele cam. Thoughts anyone?
Its going to depend on how they set up the software. When flying in full control of the sticks, that level of zoom will only work effectively from a stationary position or when moving slowly. If you are able to lock on a subject with the telephoto then it could be used at greater speeds to track a person or vehicle.

Reactions: globetrotterdrone
Its going to depend on how they set up the software. When flying in full control of the sticks, that level of zoom will only work effectively from a stationary position or when moving slowly. If you are able to lock on a subject with the telephoto then it could be used at greater speeds to track a person or vehicle.
Sounds plausible

Wondering what the price tag for this and new SC will be. I’ve seen leaks suggesting 1,600 up to 5k..
Current SC is $750 plus tax.

My random guess on price for new SC Pro will be $1,000 plus tax. But it may be a while before we see the SC being sold by its one. It may just be sold now as part of the M3 Cine package so as to boost the sale of the M3 Cine package.

But remember selling the current SC by itself sould sold out quickly. So, same will happen for new SC Pro, if they sell it by itself.

DJI will likely sell the first batch of the SC Pro only with the M3 Cine combo which usually makes the price of the SC Pro a bit cheaper.

I wish to buy the M3 Cine only if the package is not more $2,500 plus tax. If not, I plan to buy the M3 base and then buy the SC Pro.

I think we are looking at the same info and just interpreting it differently that’s all.

I hope I’m wrong it but it seems too good to be true.

I agree - and I hope so too. Fingers crossed! Only downside is if it turns out to be that good or close to it, it means I'll be spending a lot of money haha.

I agree - and I hope so too. Fingers crossed! Only downside is if it turns out to be that good or close to it, it means I'll be spending a lot of money haha.
I just ran the math on the telephoto camera and the crop factor on a 1/2” sensor is about 5 so the 160mm equivalent lens is a 32mm lens and at f/4.4 it would have a pupil entrance of 7.3mm. It just all seems really far fetched that they could fit two much larger lenses, two camera sensors, one of which is much larger, and a mechanical shutter in the same space they struggled to put one smaller sensor and lens in on the M2Pro all while keeping the weight the same and doubling the flight time.

I call BS on these leaks. I suspect there is some truth in some of these specs, for instance the dual cameras sounds very plausible but either the physical size is much larger or these sensors are smaller than they are saying.

Last edited:
Reactions: BigAl07
I call BS on these leaks. I suspect there is some truth in some of these specs, for instance the dual cameras sounds very plausible but either the physical size is much larger or these sensors are smaller than they are saying.
I have a gut feeling that the tele lens falls significantly behind the wide-angle lens in terms of quality.

If it's not got one of the new CE ratings for use in Europe/UK, then why would anyone be buying a new drone right now? ( without this it will be relegated to Legacy status next year)

If it's not got one of the new CE ratings for use in Europe/UK, then why would anyone be buying a new drone right now? ( without this it will be relegated to Legacy status next year)
I don't think DJI would be that foolish... the reported specs are 920 grams. They will likely release a UK/Europe model with some weight shaved off the battery to get it to sub 900g similar to what they did in Japan for the Mini 2.

I just ran the math on the telephoto camera and the crop factor on a 1/2” sensor is about 5 so the 160mm equivalent lens is a 32mm lens and at f/4.4 it would have a pupil entrance of 7.3mm. It just all seems really far fetched that they could fit two much larger lenses, two camera sensors, one of which is much larger, and a mechanical shutter in the same space they struggled to put one smaller sensor and lens in on the M2Pro all while keeping the weight the same and doubling the flight time.

The gimbal housing is a lot smaller on a M2P if the photos are accurate, and the M3 drone is (allegedly) significantly larger than the M2.

A 1/2" sensor has a crop factor of ~5.4 relative to a full frame sensor. With that information we know the lens' actual focal length (from 160mm equivalent) is ~29.63mm which means it needs to have a minimum front element diameter of ~6.73mm. Also, as is often the case with lens design, compromises can be made to make the lens as small as possible with processing used to remove the resulting distortion and vignetting, which is another thing they could be doing. Looking at the leaked images, obviously we don't have great sense of scale, but the front element on that zoom lens could very easily be ~6.3mm and the M43 camera only needs a (minimum) front element size of 4.3mm which quite a bit smaller yet. The gimbal looks like it's more than large enough to house both sensors but again it's hard to get a really great sense of scale.

Personally, I think the spec list is very reasonable and in no way does it read like a 'wish list', especially relative to DJI's other drones, so I am inclined to believe it so far. I also think it would be strange for such a credible and extensive leak (that looks exactly like DJI spec sheets for existing drones) to have virtually everything right except the sensor sizes when everything is so specific. It's also hard to get a sense of scale when looking at leaked photos of prototypes but we already 'know' the drone is significantly larger than the M2. If they stuck with a 1"sensor, the gap between the M3 and Air 2S would be extremely small for most users, with the biggest difference just being the adjustable aperture (which granted is a big deal). Lastly, if we really are less than a month from announcement, there is virtually no chance that DJI has managed to keep the specs a total secret. I am not aware of any electronics company that can keep everything a secret when mass production and multiple component vendors are involved - not a direct comparison, but we usually know the majority of next year's smartphone specs 4-6 months in advance and that's only with a one year cycle.

Personally I believe the sensor sizes based on the information we have so far only because IMO I haven't seen anything that makes me doubt it up to this point. Of course, the leaked info and photos and everything could be completely fabricated, but it doesn't seem like it, so far anyway. I will certainly be disappointed if it turns out someone has gone to extreme lengths to fabricate such a plausible spec list and fake photos with everything ending up completely wrong.

If it's another 20MP 1" sensor, many buyers would just stick with their M2P or Air 2S as they wouldn't be gaining a whole lot other than flight time and better video resolution. Also, DJI has increased the Air's sensor from 1/2.3" to 1/2" to 1" - it would be very odd if DJI did not increase the sensor size on the M3 at all. On top of that, the M3's main competitor (Autel EVO III) is rumored to be announced with a M43 sensor as well as multi-camera options and even a model with a 1.4" sensor (it would sit somewhere between APS-C and FF). If that's true, I don't believe DJI would allow themselves to be outclassed to such a large degree either. So yeah, basically I have seen nothing so far that makes me believe the sensor sizes are wrong, but I also acknowledge it's possible someone has gone to great lengths to fool us all with credible looking specs & photos. I also really don't believe DJI would fall so far behind Autel, and I'm sure they know exactly what eachother are up to.

Last edited:
I have a gut feeling that the tele lens falls significantly behind the wide-angle lens in terms of quality.

This almost certainly will be true, especially since the sensor is smaller and lower resolution, as well as clearly being intended as a 'secondary' camera. IMO the bigger problem will be atmospheric distortion, which is already a problem on traditional cameras that aren't 300ft+ in the air. I suspect you will see a lot of threads with things like "why is my telephoto camera blurry" when taking pictures of distant subjects.

The gimbal housing is a lot smaller on a M2P if the photos are accurate, and the M3 drone is (allegedly) significantly larger than the M2.

A 1/2" sensor has a crop factor of ~5.4 relative to a full frame sensor. With that information we know the lens' actual focal length (from 160mm equivalent) is ~29.63mm which means it needs to have a minimum front element diameter of ~6.73mm. Also, as is often the case with lens design, compromises can be made to make the lens as small as possible with processing used to remove the resulting distortion and vignetting, which is another thing they could be doing. Looking at the leaked images, obviously we don't have great sense of scale, but the front element on that zoom lens could very easily be ~6.3mm and the M43 camera only needs a (minimum) front element size of 4.3mm which quite a bit smaller yet. The gimbal looks like it's more than large enough to house both sensors but again it's hard to get a really great sense of scale.

Personally, I think the spec list is very reasonable and in no way does it read like a 'wish list', especially relative to DJI's other drones, so I am inclined to believe it so far. I also think it would be strange for such a credible and extensive leak (that looks exactly like DJI spec sheets for existing drones) to have virtually everything right except the sensor sizes when everything is so specific. It's also hard to get a sense of scale when looking at leaked photos of prototypes but we already 'know' the drone is significantly larger than the M2. If they stuck with a 1"sensor, the gap between the M3 and Air 2S would be extremely small for most users, with the biggest difference just being the adjustable aperture (which granted is a big deal). Lastly, if we really are less than a month from announcement, there is virtually no chance that DJI has managed to keep the specs a total secret. I am not aware of any electronics company that can keep everything a secret when mass production and multiple component vendors are involved - not a direct comparison, but we usually know the majority of next year's smartphone specs 4-6 months in advance and that's only with a one year cycle.

Personally I believe the sensor sizes based on the information we have so far only because IMO I haven't seen anything that makes me doubt it up to this point. Of course, the leaked info and photos and everything could be completely fabricated, but it doesn't seem like it, so far anyway. I will certainly be disappointed if it turns out someone has gone to extreme lengths to fabricate such a plausible spec list and fake photos with everything ending up completely wrong.

If it's another 20MP 1" sensor, many buyers would just stick with their M2P or Air 2S as they wouldn't be gaining a whole lot other than flight time and better video resolution. Also, DJI has increased the Air's sensor from 1/2.3" to 1/2" to 1" - it would be very odd if DJI did not increase the sensor size on the M3 at all. On top of that, the M3's main competitor (Autel EVO III) is rumored to be announced with a M43 sensor as well as multi-camera options and even a model with a 1.4" sensor (it would sit somewhere between APS-C and FF). If that's true, I don't believe DJI would allow themselves to be outclassed to such a large degree either. So yeah, basically I have seen nothing so far that makes me believe the sensor sizes are wrong, but I also acknowledge it's possible someone has gone to great lengths to fool us all with credible looking specs & photos. I also really don't believe DJI would fall so far behind Autel, and I'm sure they know exactly what eachother are up to.
Yea after speaking with some camera science efficinatos they are telling me the camera lenses probably aren’t an issue. So I stand corrected.

After so long since an update with built up demand and expectations DJI was always gonna have to knock it out of the park on the M3 but boy if they deliver on this it will be something else.

Reactions: CanadaDrone
Yea after speaking with some camera science efficinatos they are telling me the camera lenses probably aren’t an issue. So I stand corrected.

After so long since an update with built up demand and expectations DJI was always gonna have to knock it out of the park on the M3 but boy if they deliver on this it will be something else.

My main area of interest is image sensor and optical design :D

I would bet that they do deliver something really excellent. They are also well aware of what their competition is doing and have much deeper pockets than Autel to ensure they do not get outdone. At a minimum, I think we can expect remedies to the main complaints from the M2P, the largest of which was undoubtedly their subsampled 4K video when using the "wide" shooting mode. Most 1/2" and M43 sensors on the market are designed around video-centric applications, so that is a really good sign, and we can even see a heatsink on the back of the M3 suggesting they haven't ignored the processing side of things either. If they get the execution right and don't limit the bitrate too much, it should be capable of broadcast quality video from that M43 sensor. The M2 was an overall excellent and reliable platform so I am really excited for what they have done with the M3. For the most part I just care about the image sensors, so everything else like increased flight time is just gravy. I wouldn't mind some sort of built in gimbal lock though, and obstacle avoidance can always be improved.

If the Cine model does in fact have built in SSDs, the price will probably be very high. But as long as they sell the Smart Controller separately, that shouldn't be too much of an issue for people wanting to simply buy the Fly More combo + smart controller for around ~$3K USD.

Last edited:
Reactions: globetrotterdrone
My main area of interest is image sensor and optical design :D

I would bet that they do deliver something really excellent. They are also well aware of what their competition is doing and have much deeper pockets than Autel to ensure they do not get outdone. At a minimum, I think we can expect remedies to the main complaints from the M2P, the largest of which was undoubtedly their subsampled 4K video when using the "wide" shooting mode. Most 1/2" and M43 sensors on the market are designed around video-centric applications, so that is a really good sign, and we can even see a heatsink on the back of the M3 suggesting they haven't ignored the processing side of things either. If they get the execution right and don't limit the bitrate too much, it should be capable of broadcast quality video from that M43 sensor. The M2 was an overall excellent and reliable platform so I am really excited for what they have done with the M3. For the most part I just care about the image sensors, so everything else like increased flight time is just gravy. I wouldn't mind some sort of built in gimbal lock though, and obstacle avoidance can always be improved.

If the Cine model does in fact have built in SSDs, the price will probably be very high. But as long as they sell the Smart Controller separately, that shouldn't be too much of an issue for people wanting to simply buy the Fly More combo + smart controller for around ~$3K USD.
Honestly I think $5000 for the Cine package if it has an SSD and records ProRes is pretty cheap. An I2 with similar capabilities and three battery changes is well over $10,000.

Reactions: CanadaDrone
Honestly I think $5000 for the Cine package if it has an SSD and records ProRes is pretty cheap. An I2 with similar capabilities and three battery changes is well over $10,000.

Even if it's "worth it" they're going to have a very limited market at that price.

It would most be pros or people who can make money with their drones who could justify that price.

It would be an entirely different market than the people who bought the Mavic 2s, whom you can call maybe "prosumers" who were willing to spend $2000-2500.

At over $3000, you're moving into Inspire territory, who are pros making money with the drones. It's smaller volume market.

Now if DJI has decided that the old Mavic 2 market will be served by the Air 2S, that's fine.

But they can't expect the same volume of sales if they price the Mavic 3 ASP at over $3000 compared to the volume of sales they have gotten with the Mavic 2 Pro and Zoom.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rui S